Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 06:32 AM

42 posts, read 82,487 times

Advertisements

We're debating between Denver/Seattle/Portland. We're torn because of weather issues and outdoor issues.

To keep it very simple, we're a family with 4 young children, and moving from the midwest to be outdoors 4 seasons. Winter included.

I'm bringing a business with me. These 3 cities appear to be the finalists at this point.

We really enjoy boating, which gives Seattle a bump. But we understand the winters have much more sun in Denver, and many feel more traditional snow activities as well.

So for the Portland folks, would you mind describing your real life, every day experiences with:

- boating (how easy is it to boat the river? Is it year round?)
- winter activities (Mt. Hood, etc)
- camping (nearby? Good access/facilities?)
- fishing
- hiking
- "quick" access to woods/mountains/hills for a slice of nature?

I've read a gazillion weather posts, so I pretty much get that by now. What I don't really understand is how much more or less access to outdoor life do I have in Portland versus Seattle?

I appreciate your insight, and again, to reiterate, I understand the weather, and I'll be bringing a job, and I've visited these cities a whole bunch, so I'm trying not to waste your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Denver will offer a lot more outdoor snow activity in the winter, hands-down, than Seattle or Portland.

On the other hand, I-70 out/in to Denver is a nightmare on weekends. CDOT recommends avoiding the road Sundays from noon to 8pm because of highway gridlock. My SIL tells me a lot of people move to Denver expecting to be able to just cruise up to Keystone or Breckenridge and find what should be an hour and a half drive is more like 3-4 hours on a weekend or holiday. There are smaller snow resorts up and down the Front Range that would be good for snowshoeing or sledding with the kids, but the big ski resorts are massively crowded.

The ski areas near Portland and Seattle are also crowded and also feature jammed commutes at peak times. The commute from Portland to Mt Hood (Timberline, Mt Hood Meadows, Ski Bowl) can be made much worse by the inevitable idiot in a 4wd who assumes 4wd will help them stop on an icy snowy road and causes a pileup. The Cascades ski areas are known for a snow quality called "Cascade cement" - wet, dense snow. Mt Bachelor, near Bend on the back side of the Cascades, has better snow. Oregon and Washington don't have the same number of "destination" ski areas - generally it is "head up in the morning, head home at night" skiing (again, Mt. Bachelor is the exception).

You might consider Bend, if it isn't too small a town, for better winter activities. Boating is in the lakes in the Cascades, late spring-early fall. There are also several areas for rafting.

There are a lot of lakes and rivers around Portland and Seattle and with Seattle you also get the Puget Sound. Can you boat year-round? Sort of. It's hard to explain exactly how cold 34° with rain, water spray and wind is. You CAN get out in it, not sure you would really want to.

I notice in another thread you were appalled by Idaho's income tax - you are not going to like Oregon's higher income tax (although no sales taxes). You also mentioned religion - the PNW is, in generally, much less religious and much more private about religion than other parts of the country. You'll find lots of churches in many denominations here, but they are much less a part of public/work life.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
You might like to check out OFF... http://www.oregonfishingforum.com/

.......................there is some pretty good fishing around Portland. Also surf fishing, or out in a boat off the OR coast......There are a number of lakes & rivers along the coast.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 PM

42 posts, read 82,487 times
Thank you PNW.... Very detailed response, thank you for taking the time to share. We would live in Washington, to answer your question, and locate my business there as well.

I appreciate the insight on the snow activities and access. That's a very good point.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:20 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Before you make your decision be sure to read Washington's Business & Occupation's tax which is a gross sales tax, not a tax on profits. That is why many business locate in Oregon not Washington. When it comes to taxation you just pick your poison.

Access to the Columbia and Willamette Rivers is easy BUT the use of boat launches is getting competitive. It isn't easy to get a permit for docks, better to rent moorage space.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:

So for the Portland folks, would you mind describing your real life, every
day experiences with:

- boating (how easy is it to boat the river? Is it year round?)

Plenty of boat ramps (If you are talking about the Willamette), and you "could" boat year round, but winter storms, large debris floating just under the surface, and water levels make it really risky to boat during the winter rainy season.

Please be aware that river boating requires a different skill set than calm lake boating.
The Willamette and Columbia are big rivers, and can be very dangerous at times.
Also a lot of white water rafting and kayaking goes on here on the smaller rivers.

Oregon State Marine Board has a website loaded with info.
Be aware that all boat operators must take a boaters safety class, and receive a completion certificate before you can operate a motor boat of "family" size.
It's not free, but it's not cheap either.
Big trouble for you if the sherriff stops your boat for a safety check (and they will), and you don't have your card.

- winter activities (Mt. Hood, etc)
Can't give you much here, other than when I was a younger man, I did a ton of snowshoeing up there and had a lot of fun.

- camping (nearby? Good access/facilities?)
Lots of established campgrounds (you need reservations too, google "Reserve America Oregon"), although many are closed for the winter and some may be quite primitive.
The closer you are to Portland the more crowded the developed campsites are, and they can be a absolute zoo during the peak summer months.
You can pretty much camp wherever you want in the national forests.

- fishing
Lots of fishing of all kinds.
Go to the ODFW website for trout stocking info and general regulations.
Also clamming, crabbing, etc...
You can't just throw a line in wherever and whenever you want.
There are some good local fishing discussion boards around too.
Easy google.

- hiking
Lots of hiking and plenty of local websites devoted to that kind of thing.
Another easy google.
My hiking is usually restricted to scouting and hunting trips for deer and elk, so I really can't help here either.

- "quick" access to woods/mountains/hills for a slice of nature?

ALL OVER THE PLACE, in town and out.
You can get a "Slice of Nature" just by looking out your backyard window in many parts of Portland.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-24-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon