Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:41 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrbl View Post
babycoleslaw - Welcome to Newberg.

I have direct experience with Crater and Chehalem MS (CV). Both are great. The two schools are right next door to each other and they work well together.

I've heard very good things about Ewing Young (out in the country) and Joan (pronounced Joanne) Austin. Trouble is that Joan Austin feeds into the other middle school. I have only heard a little about Dundee but it has been positive.

**Side note: CVMS has a sister school in Japan and each year they send some kids here and we send up to 17 of our kids there. It is a fantastic exchange program for a public middle school.

Sorry to say but you are right about Edwards.

Good luck with your move.
Thanks for the response! Glad to know the information on the net is correct!! I have a son with Down syndrome who would be attending kindergarten there if we do end up moving there. Do you know if it is fairly inclusive? The site seems to say so....
I do think the best bet for us would be Crater b/c of its proximity to the middle school. I'm a former educator and once my littlest is in school plan to go back and to know that my kids were so close to each other and perhaps me if I taught at Crater would be ideal.
Who knows, maybe we'll be neighbors!
Any other information you think would benefit me would be great! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 29,888 times
Default More on CV and Crater

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
Thanks for the response! Glad to know the information on the net is correct!! I have a son with Down syndrome who would be attending kindergarten there if we do end up moving there. Do you know if it is fairly inclusive? The site seems to say so....
!!!
I've asked my kids and a friend with an Autistic son. They all agree that Crater and CV have good programs. They are apparently very inclusive. I am told that lunch, PE and electives are all inclusive. The other classes are either taught by the “Life Skills” instructors or they are included in standard classes depending on the particular students’ abilities. I also understand that Newberg High has a good program as well with student helpers assigned to classes with students who need minimal assistance to attend classes.

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to get you an educated answer.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrbl View Post
I've asked my kids and a friend with an Autistic son. They all agree that Crater and CV have good programs. They are apparently very inclusive. I am told that lunch, PE and electives are all inclusive. The other classes are either taught by the “Life Skills” instructors or they are included in standard classes depending on the particular students’ abilities. I also understand that Newberg High has a good program as well with student helpers assigned to classes with students who need minimal assistance to attend classes.

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to get you an educated answer.
Thank you for your reply! Any information 'locals' can give me with regard to inclusion is most helpful!! I'm narrowing my areas down!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,759 times
Default Newberg: A good place for kids

Hi I know this thread has gone a little cold, but I have to disagree with some of the things that busone and washington native have said about Newberg.

We liked Newberg because of many sweet things they offered, such as:
  • A thriving place for kids to grow up, including a very healthy library, a pool, lots of parks (we have a choice of 4 around our house)
  • The beauty of living among many vineyards and orchards and the generally beautiful scenery which is even intact in the lower income areas where people seem to take pride in their little old homes.
  • The proliferation of things for kids/young people to do. There are sports in Newberg, but up and down the 99 corridor, including in Newberg which is a c
ollege town, there is a general awareness and value placed on making a place for young people to thrive.

There does seem to be a "good side of town" and a "lower end" side of town. However, that said, my family and I frequent the nice park on the other side of town and have never witnessed, felt or otherwise sensed that this part of town was not safe. I might add, that pregnant with young kids, I am very tuned into this type of thing.

Coffee shops, old fashioned ice cream parlors, drive in, close to the beach, and outdoorsy stuff to do, Newberg feels like a rural area that has developed nicely.

This comment about strip malls in Newberg, especially compared with Mac is baffling to me. We looked closely at Mac and as you come into town you are hit with every low end strip mall retail establishment known to man, right as you enter town. Newberg seems to me to have held off almost all but local establishments, which seem to do okay here.

As for drugs and gangs, as a teacher I can tell you that there isn't a community in this Willamette Valley that isn't touched to some extent by both methamphetamine use and kids hooking up with gangs. If you are in that world, looking for it, it is easy to find everywhere. I moved from East Portland (a hub of urban neglect) after teaching, living and working there and Newberg doesn't have a problem. I don't see it, and view with suspicion any assertion that Newberg has more than other areas.

I love Newberg. It seems to have found the golden mean to me, I can get to Portland in 30 minutes without traffic, and drive to work among farms. I feel snuggled in this little valley with vineyards and orchards. I recommend Newberg on all accounts.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM

11 posts, read 54,350 times
I lived in McMinnville for about 3 years. It is a great little town but I would live in Dundee or I would definately recommend Yamhill/Carlton area. Darling place and up and coming. Many new wineries and even a fine dining rest. in this little town amongst the farms. There are low income families there as well as high income. They have new housing developments with really nice homes.

In my opinion, the negatives about McMinnville is that it is getting populated quickly. There is an area of town that is very busy and full of strip malls. The biggest reason why we moved is because the allergies are HORRIBLE! We found out that when the Native Americans came to the valley they named it "death valley" because they actually got very sick and their children where dying! They have major mold issues.

Sorry to sound so negative, but the allergies ran us out of the valley. The rest of McMinnville is great. Schools aren't bad and there is a beautiful downtown and home town pride. Oh.. another plus is they have a pretty good health food store for organic shopping.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times
Thinking of moving to Sherwood and we're looking for a small-town feel, but want to be near the cultural activity the city offers. Relocating from the east:
Two questions..is racial tension high in the area?
Are there gangs in the towns west of Portland?
Are there really cougars in the areas around Portland or can I take my kids hiking
and feel relaxed they won't be stalked by wild cats?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,690 times
"Mcminnville" A.k.A (Tha-Ville) I Recall, it was 1992 when a few Brothas touched down in Tha Ville. from "San Jose california" standing out due to tha over use of tha color red.Not only did police harrass these brothers but surenos from otha citys. would come to Tha Ville,to set tripp.(Being theyre was no active based gangs at that time) "in Tha Ville".for tha next few years tha brothas fought in Tha Ville. Defendin theyre persona.name,pride and respect.buy 1996.tha lil hispanics in Tha Ville that kicked it with tha "Patlan Brothas" were forced to choose between North and South.Tha Patlan Brothas were of tha North,buy 1997 Tha Ville had a Group of 12 Active southerners (Surenos) most of them (Hood Hoppin,Snitchen and Rape'N.)Fights continued to go on between tha Brothas and tha Opposition.it started to become a threat for tha brothas.as southern members of Hobs13 brown pride raza13,califas13.came into Tha Ville lookin for tha brothas.who no longer were in tha city.by 1999 two of tha 3 brothas returned to "Tha Ville"not to long after theyre arival. came tha problems, all over again.3wks into theyre stay.an 18 yr old sureno pushed tha Patlan's lil 9yr old sister at tha time off her bike.her brotha confronted.tha sureno by yelling."YOU ****ED UP",two wks later tha Patlan brothas cought tha guy and stabed him.in retrubution for theyre sister.tha youngest of tha brothas,was sentanced to 5yrs for tha attempted murder of "Lionel Ceja Torres" he was released in 2004.that was tha 1st gang Stabbing in Mcminnville history and it was set buy Nortenoz.today ThaVille runs deep wit Norteno history and to know it all started with Tha Patlan Brothas outta san jose california.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Eh???

Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 31,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408SharkBay View Post
"Mcminnville" A.k.A (Tha-Ville) I Recall, it was 1992 when a few Brothas touched down in Tha Ville. from "San Jose california" standing out due to tha over use of tha color red.Not only did police harrass these brothers but surenos from otha citys. would come to Tha Ville,to set tripp.(Being theyre was no active based gangs at that time) "in Tha Ville".for tha next few years tha brothas fought in Tha Ville. Defendin theyre persona.name,pride and respect.buy 1996.tha lil hispanics in Tha Ville that kicked it with tha "Patlan Brothas" were forced to choose between North and South.Tha Patlan Brothas were of tha North,buy 1997 Tha Ville had a Group of 12 Active southerners (Surenos) most of them (Hood Hoppin,Snitchen and Rape'N.)Fights continued to go on between tha Brothas and tha Opposition.it started to become a threat for tha brothas.as southern members of Hobs13 brown pride raza13,califas13.came into Tha Ville lookin for tha brothas.who no longer were in tha city.by 1999 two of tha 3 brothas returned to "Tha Ville"not to long after theyre arival. came tha problems, all over again.3wks into theyre stay.an 18 yr old sureno pushed tha Patlan's lil 9yr old sister at tha time off her bike.her brotha confronted.tha sureno by yelling."YOU ****ED UP",two wks later tha Patlan brothas cought tha guy and stabed him.in retrubution for theyre sister.tha youngest of tha brothas,was sentanced to 5yrs for tha attempted murder of "Lionel Ceja Torres" he was released in 2004.that was tha 1st gang Stabbing in Mcminnville history and it was set buy Nortenoz.today ThaVille runs deep wit Norteno history and to know it all started with Tha Patlan Brothas outta san jose california.

This comments seems so far out in left field I can't quite grasp it... except to know I'd like to not be around any of the people he mentions.... sounds pretty sad and sick to me

Old 03-12-2016, 10:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred Spirit View Post
This comments seems so far out in left field I can't quite grasp it... except to know I'd like to not be around any of the people he mentions.... sounds pretty sad and sick to me
Wrong state. He's probably talking about McMinnville, TN. He missed by 2000 miles and both hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon