Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
... where I can head out after work and grab a snack, grab some groceries, browse a book store, etc... and bring my dog along for it all (in the shops)....
Really? I'm nearly 70 years old and have had dogs most of my life, in the midwest, mountain west, Texas, Alaska, in small towns and small cities. I've never seen dogs welcome in retail stores, other than service dogs. Never heard of it. I've seen dogs tied up outside a store while the owner goes inside for a little shopping, but never seen the dog go inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Really? I'm nearly 70 years old and have had dogs most of my life, in the midwest, mountain west, Texas, Alaska, in small towns and small cities. I've never seen dogs welcome in retail stores, other than service dogs. Never heard of it. I've seen dogs tied up outside a store while the owner goes inside for a little shopping, but never seen the dog go inside.
Well if you had a purse dog perhaps? I love dogs. There are places we just don't need to have them. Now if I could find some kid free places.......

Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
...the OP was typing about taking dogs into grocery stores, shops, and restaurants...
Well I would rather see a dog in a store than left out in a hot car I guess. Also I understand that in France they take their dogs everywhere with them. I've always thought that was cool!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm sorry, but the OP was typing about taking dogs into grocery stores, shops, and restaurants, ..........
Pet dogs haven't ever been allowed into any place that sold or served food. Pet dogs used to be allowed into almost every retail store. But that was years ago and too many rude pet owners spoiled it for the rest of us. Doing things like allowing their dogs to pee on the merchandize or snap at other customers got all the doors closed to us.

My local feed store closed it's door to dogs when one of their customers gave their dog a severe beating inside the store.

My local BiMart used to encourage well behaved dogs until they added fresh bread and eggs to their stock and the health department told them "no more dogs".

I don't know why the post office disallowed dogs. Maybe it was a national rule. But no more pets in the post office.

The state of Oregon has a law that dogs in the back of trucks must have a safety chain or be in a crate. I consider that to be very pet friendly. The dogs-ride-loose-in-the-back-of-pickups crowd wasn't happy about that and made a stink, but they now have their dogs on a legal chain or they can get an expensive ticket.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 18,740 times
Bend Oregon is super dog friendly....but not exactly in the way you mentioned. Most restaurants with outdoor seating allow your dog to sit with you.

Bend is deemed DogTown USA in Dog Fancy’s annual listing | OregonLive.com

There is a run with your dog 5k in June.
A pet parade in July.
Lots of downtown shop owners put water bowls out on the sidewalk for dogs passing by.

...and there are lots of dog parks.

It's far from the beach for sure, but close to rivers and lakes.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Several Coastal locations offer the same poach friendly outdoor settings as Bend.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:51 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Several Coastal locations offer the same poach friendly outdoor settings as Bend.
pooch

Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
pooch
That too. I was thinking of poached eggs.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM

308 posts, read 409,910 times
There are plenty of restaurants where your dog is welcome outside, on the patio, etc., but unless you have a service dog, nowhere is going to allow you to bring a dog into an eating or grocery shopping establishment.

I use a service dog, and have often taken him into restaurants. Some places won't let my dog eat inside, despite him being my service animal, and require that I take his order to go, after we have eaten and paid for our food, and just as we're leaving. Other places will let me feed my dog as we, ourselves, eat (the services he provides don't need him to be on high alert every second, so he can lay at my feet and relax while I eat). And some places have to be educated about ADA laws regarding service dogs, or they'd kick us out (not meaning to sound racist, here, but we usually find that establishments owned by people who immigrated here from parts of Asia are the places most likely to want to deny legal access). Here on the central Oregon coast, we have never had difficulty with our pet dogs as they're always on leashes and we pick up after them when they defecate. Since my service dog always wears his service dog vest whenever we go somewhere, people don't usually question us, as long as they see the vest. The only places we've had issues is a shop in Toledo, where the (Caucasian) owner had a cat (we acquiesced to his wishes, because he was obviously terrified for his cat, even though my dog is smaller than his cat, and totally non-aggressive), and Asian-owned establishments. We have always had to educate them about the ADA laws, and even then, they tend to be cranky about the whole thing....

I think that, as long as your dog is well behaved, many non food-related businesses are happy enough to allow your WELL BEHAVED, NON-AGGRESSIVE dog into their establishments. If you can't guarantee your dog's good behavior, you shouldn't try to take them out and about. Nowhere has an "anything goes" policy, and even though it might sound good, there's usually good reason why there are rules and laws in place. They're for the protection of the public, and, often, our own dogs.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM

400 posts, read 413,848 times
I saw a guy at the grocery store the other day looking at the cold cuts, while down below his "service dog"was licking the bacon packages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon