U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

308 posts, read 330,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
I saw a guy at the grocery store the other day looking at the cold cuts, while down below his "service dog"was licking the bacon packages.
I've seen that kind of thing fairly often. You can usually tell who is using the service dog vest and labels just to be able to take their pet into somewhere they wouldn't otherwise be welcome, and those who really ARE using a service dog to provide service that the person can't otherwise do for themselves. For one thing, real service dogs are usually much better behaved and obedient. For another, many people who just want to use the label w/out the need don't really know the laws beyond the "you can't ask me anything because he's a service dog" thing, which isn't precisely true. You can ask what services a dog provides (they have to provide at least 2). You can't ask what the person's disabling condition is. The phonies are usually pretty easy to tell, but frankly, a lot of places are afraid to ask anything, because they, themselves, aren't fully versed in the ADA laws (which outweigh, legally, any more restrictive state laws) and how to apply them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 PM

22,417 posts, read 29,794,869 times
How are business owners supposed to stop the phonies? They may be easy to tell, but just because you can legally ask them a couple of questions isn't much leverage. Most people can think fast enough to think something up if asked what services the dog provides (or more likely, already have answers rehearsed), and I wouldn't be so sure about them not knowing much about the laws.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-15-2015 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 02:16 PM

400 posts, read 354,596 times
I do not like to see dogs where food is sold or served for whatever excuse. Dogs are dirty. They eat poop and lick their butts. An the so called emotional support animals species are even worse. A pony or a pig or a parrot can not be house broken. In a grocery store or a bus or a plane? No way.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 PM

50 posts, read 54,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
but frankly, a lot of places are afraid to ask anything, because they, themselves, aren't fully versed in the ADA laws (which outweigh, legally, any more restrictive state laws) and how to apply them.
Very true. Having worked in two different big box stores, both of which had signs on their front doors that said only service dogs allowed, I can attest to that. Part of training was that we were not to question why someone had a dog; the threat of a bad PR lawsuit trumps no-dog rules (especially when you are big national big box company). So people brought their dogs into the store that also had a fresh grocery & deli/bakery area... and the other store, a big box hardware store, well everyone LOVED dogs! We even had a guy who would bring in his dog regularly for exercise (Minnesota winters and all...). I don't think anyone cared about the no dog rule at all. Summertime in the garden area there would be lots of ladies with dogs in their carts. Never once did I encounter dog pee or poo anywhere inside or outside of the store.

At the other big box store, the one that also had a fresh grocery, we had HUMANS who defecated in the aisles on purpose, and sometimes by accident (accidental ones were given free pants & lots of sympathy) :-)

As to dogs being gross by eating their own poo and whatnot, human toddlers are gross too. They stick their hands in their underpants and then touch everything within reach. Just assume anything that is within toddler reach has toddler germs on it :-) (I worked as a cake decorator and gave out free cookies to kids... so got to see lots of interesting kid behaviour!)

Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM

15,296 posts, read 14,725,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well I would rather see a dog in a store than left out in a hot car I guess. Also I understand that in France they take their dogs everywhere with them. I've always thought that was cool!
Hot days are pretty rare on the Oregon coast.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,305,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Hot days are pretty rare on the Oregon coast.
That's a great thing about the coast. We can bring our dog along most days, even though he has to sit in the car most of the time. He would just be laying on the couch at home, anyways, so he might as well lay on the seats in the car. Then he can see us more, and we pop over to the dog park at least once so he can run around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon