Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,838 times

Advertisements

We are moving to northern Idaho in a few weeks from Las Vegas. Many people have recommended us to take a route that goes through Oregon deeming it safer then heading through Montana. The route takes us on the I84 to the I82W. Are there any mountain passes or areas of concern to be cautious with. We are driving a mini van and 20' uhaul truck. We plan on getting either snow tires or all season tires and chains for both vehicles. Any advice for this drive is welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
question on driving from Las Vegas to Idaho going through NE Oregon-screen-shot-2014-12-28-7.59.37  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:47 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
I live on I-84 in Baker City, Oregon so I travel on the highway often.

Almost 10,000 vehicles traverse it every day, so it is well maintained.

If there is no snow on I-84, which is most of the time, you will have no problem at all – you will just be able to enjoy a scenic drive.

Because it can be hilly and there are curves, especially between Ontario and Baker City, snow can cause problems.

There are two notorious problem areas when it is snowing.

The first one you will come to is Ladd Canyon, between Baker City and La Grande. It will be a steep downgrade with some curves so you have to be careful. Because of the terrain, wind often blows snow onto the road surface.

The second and most famous, just before you get to Pendleton, is called Cabbage Hill. It is a long downhill with hairpin turns. It has runaway areas for trucks:
www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/emigranthill.pdf

Actually, because most drivers are very careful at these two problem areas, bad accidents rarely happen. There was a serious tour bus accident at Cabbage Hill a couple of years ago, but that was an oddity.

Here is a map that shows highway information. You might have to drag it to see I-84. You can zoom in and when you hover your cursor over the icons you will see road conditions, chain requirements and traffic cams:
One Stop Shop for Traveler Information

Here is an article about I-84 in Eastern Oregon:
Interstate 84: Reputation Vs. Reality | Baker City Herald | Baker County Oregon's News Leader

As I said before, unless the weather is bad and there is snow on the highway, you probably won't have much to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon