U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 06:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,325,351 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine has a job offer at OSU in Corvallis, and since he doesn't have a C-D account, I thought I'd use mine to help him out.

What he's looking for:

20-25 miles MAX from campus

Single family house in suburban neighborhood
3+ bed 3+ bath
Built 2000 or newer
Central A/C
3000 sqft +
Nice yard/wooded yard would be nice but not strictly necessary

Would prefer a more traditionally styled home nothing too "Custom" or wacky. By this I mean like blue tiles in kitchen, 6 floors with spiral staircase in middle of home, etc.

Price range: $250,000-620,000

Would it be better to live in Corvallis, or a nearby city like Albany, OR to find what he's looking for. Doesn't want to be by lots of rentals/college kid housing.

Much input would be helpful, neither of us are very familiar with the area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:53 AM

15,296 posts, read 14,717,224 times
ROFL! Your questions reveal someone who is surely not familiar with the area. I don't think there are any "suburban" areas around Corvallis, though there are certainly urban housing developments and a smattering of small towns. 20-25 miles from campus covers a lot of ground. On the high end of the budget, your friend can afford to buy acreage in the country with a modest house. There are some nice places anywhere from Greenberry to Wren. In Corvallis itself, it will buy a very nice custom home with several amenities. BTW, in Oregon a "custom" home is just not a cookie cutter house plan dumped on a lot with no attention to lifestyle. At the low end of the housing budget your friend will be looking for a well maintained 2000 sf. 3+2 older home in a neighborhood that is still nice. It will probably be located in one of the outlying communities like Philomath or Albany. I doubt very much he will be able to find a modern 3000 sf. 3+3 for $250k anywhere in Western Oregon.

You friend should visit the area for a week or so to get oriented. I'm sure a local realtor would be glad to fill him in on housing options.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,861,311 times
Agree, there's not much 'suburb' to speak of, though there are a few little housing developments like Adair Village.

But with his budget (ample - 300k goes a long way in Corvallis), he should be looking at Philomath (higher end) or in Corvallis itself. The northwest section of Corvallis in particular would probably be attractive for him.

Any decent realtor will be able to help him find an array of options.

It's quite possible to live within walk/bike range of OSU and still be away from student housing and rentals.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM

26,157 posts, read 34,677,851 times
Probably look in the hilly area to the South West of Corvallis. Larger lots, nice trees, more expensive. That's a big span in the price range. I'm sure he can find something within his budget.

If he can get over the newer requirement, there is a neighbor of very large top end houses with nice trees near the university. Almost "manor houses". Older and most likely quite expensive, if you can find one for sale. Mostly Craftsman architecture,

Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,861,311 times
I don't disagree with OWS, though if they're going to spend at the high end and are looking at the SW area I'd probably opt for Philomath personally.

Though staying in town would make it potentially more feasible to commute by bike/walking. Which has an advantage since a number of the lots actually fill up these days.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,717,224 times
If I were to pick I would probably pick Greenberry. I knew a guy out there once who owned the headwaters of the Alsea. It was a gorgeous piece of property. If you are more suburban in orientation, there are some nice places in West Albany (Corvallis side of the river) on Palestine. And, of course, there is always river front property, though in Linn or Benton counties that can get kind of wet. With the feds dropping the flood insurance subsidy, you sure don't want to buy anything in a flood plain.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,325,351 times
Thanks everyone so far!

I ran a rudimentary search and saw a couple of nice homes in the Lewisberg area, is that any good?

The housing market isn't great though. Good homes are few and far between.

Will check on Philomath for sure.

I know people have mentioned older homes, he REALLY doesn't want one and would probably build from scratch before it came down to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon