Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM

14 posts, read 20,337 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Grants Pass Oregon from Boise Idaho toward the end of February, Wondering what is the best route weather wise for that time of year. Also, what are the spots that we should watch the road reports for the most?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Tripcheck will show you the road conditions.

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Most of the mapping programs show Boise to Ontario, then out 395 to Lakeview, connecting to 140, which takes you across the Cascades and eventually to I5. About 520 miles.

That isn't a bad route, assuming that the weather is good. It is definitely the shortest, anything else has you going far out of your way and really for not much benefit, as far as weather and road conditions. If you have some leeway when you need to leave or arrive, you can watch the weather. You do travel some lonely road and need to have a winter kit with you.

The only route that takes you on major highways is Hwy20/I-84 to I5, which adds about 150 miles on the trip - and the weather through the Blue Mountains between, say La Grande and Pendelton, isn't much better, nor is the drive through The Gorge if it is icy. The road might be better maintained and plowed in inclement weather, at least. If you want to do the trip in 2 days, there are a lot more hotel options on this route.

Are you driving a passenger car/SUV or a moving van?

Also, to add - since you are coming from Boise, I am assuming you have winter driving and back road driving experience. If, instead, you've pretty much never left paved roads, or are driving a car crammed with kids and pets and stuff: take the I-84/I-5 route.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 01-05-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 20,337 times
Thank you. I kept seeing a few different routes come up and haven't driven any of the highways of Oregon to know which ones have the worst passes, etc.

We are doing it in one day, no leeway on days, taking a moving truck and also driving a car at the same time, with kids.

Yes, we are experiences at driving snowy road in Idaho. My main worry is that rental trucks don't come with chains so if I can avoid the worse weather, the better.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 459,232 times
If you're going over any passes you need to carry chains no matter the weather. You'd only get a ticket if they stopped you or any other reason for them to check.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
From Boise to Bend, and then across the mountains right there from Sisters to Eugene. Then down I-5.

You'd best talk to the van company about chains, whether they can go on the van or not. There is no way to get from where you are to where you are going without doing a snowy mountain pass. Weather that time of year could be anything; there is no predicting.

If you buy a set of tire chains from Les Schwab and don't use them, they will take them back and refund your money at the end of snow season.

Keep an eye on ODOT tripheck. There are weather cams and road condition reports for Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon