Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 PM

13 posts, read 15,092 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a recommendation for a city in Oregon with a mild/warm climate without much snow. Great biking trails and a moderate to low cost of living would be a huge plus.

I've lived in northern Wisconsin my entire life and I'm getting really sick of the -20 below 0 weather and extreme snow and ice for 6 months of the year. :[

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Eugene fits your weather and cycling desires perfectly. Here is a map (although I find it hard to read) https://www.ltd.org/pdf/EugeneMap.pdf ; other examples Eugene Bike Trails - Maps of Bike Routes in Eugene, OR , https://www.eugene-or.gov/index.aspx?NID=489

I wouldn't call the cost of living there low (particularly because I don't know your frame of reference), moderate is a better description.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I wouldn't call the cost of living there low (particularly because I don't know your frame of reference), moderate is a better description.
Agree. If you're from Appleton, Eugene will feel somewhat familiar but still a bit higher (say 10-15% overall?) It will vary depending on your circumstances. In general housing will still be more (rent or esp. purchase), but you'll save on utilities.

If you're coming from Wausau or Point, the cost of Eugene will probably be shocking. There are places in the valley cheaper than Eugene (say, Albany) that will be more in the range of what you'd be looking at with Appleton, but generally less desirable.

Though certainly you can find advocates on these forums who think Albany is on an upswing, albeit a long, slow one.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 19,425 times
You mean you didn't like the 30 below we had last night. What the hey?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Eugene is basically Madison without the snow and freezing temperatures.

Albany is more, I dunno, Janesville after GM abandoned it?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:50 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit-biker View Post
........ a moderate to low cost of living ........
Your requirement for a moderate cost of living is going to keep you out of the warmer areas of Oregon and away from anything even approaching being a moderately sized city any where in the state. Oregon is no longer an inexpensive place to live.

Reedsport on the coast has some relatively inexpensive housing. You can buy a cute little house for under $100,000. It never gets too cold, it never gets warm, and there are no jobs and no public transportation.

There are several really small towns that have inexpensive housing but they freeze down really hard in the winter and there are no jobs, no medical, no public transportation, and I suspect, no high speed internet.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Albany is more, I dunno, Janesville after GM abandoned it?
Eh, that might be a bit harsh. I'd take Albany over Janesville any day of the week.

Also, Albany doesn't have a lingering bad taste from hosting the KKK the way Janesville does

Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
When did Albany host the KKK? That is news to me.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
When did Albany host the KKK? That is news to me.

Sorry, perhaps that could have been clearer - Janesville has a reputation for kkk affiliation (public events hosted there, plus at least for a while was rumored to host a kkk HQ), but Albany does not.

My point was that, as much as we give Albany a bad rap locally, I thought it was a bit mean to compare it to Janesville

Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Sorry, perhaps that could have been clearer - Janesville has a reputation for kkk affiliation (public events hosted there, plus at least for a while was rumored to host a kkk HQ), but Albany does not.

My point was that, as much as we give Albany a bad rap locally, I thought it was a bit mean to compare it to Janesville

Geez - not that it matters on the Oregon forum but holy cow man, the Janesville/KKK thing was like 1990 or thereabouts. I do not think it is a lingering stigma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon