U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM

42 posts, read 184,045 times

Advertisements

I am a native Oregonian, and can't imagine living anywhere else! We live in the heart of the Willamette valley. We can go east for skiing, west for surfing, and northest for windsurfing! All about 1 1/2 away! Oregon is a beautiful place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM

303 posts, read 778,427 times
There are big critters but they dont bother you if you dont bother them. I would be more worried about getting shot at by rednecks then attacked by Bears or Cougars. No poision snakes in most of Western Oregon either.. Yes there are bears but no grizzlies. Bears dont bother you unless you bother them or have food. Keep your campsite clean and use common sense and you will be fine in the Oregon woods.

Also dont drive down closed roads in the winter in the mountains because theirs a reason they are closed even if you dont see a speck of snow.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM

309 posts, read 326,129 times
Oregon is definitely a beautiful state.
I used to live in the Portland-metro area and must say........it's one of the cleanest and prettiest cities in America.
Live in NW Washington now but still love and miss, Oregon.
Actually.....the entire Pacific NW is gorgeous.....with the exceptions of the high desert areas of eastern WA and eastern OR. But, even those areas are pretty in their own way too, I suppose. Just don't have the trees out there.....but LOTS of starry nights and coyotes. Much drier and sunnier too.
Rain and especially....GRAY skies for at least 6 months west of the Cascades IS the hardest thing to live with, IMO. If you can ACCEPT that the weather is what it is for half the year and drippy days and nights for often......many days on end, are a FACT.......from mid- October until May.......you can hopefulluy, make the best of it and not let it get you down.
But......this IS very difficult for a LOT of people.....especially, those who are just ignorant to this reality before moving here.
BTW.....if you LOVE lots of trees.......you will like it in the Pacific NW in the Cascades, Coast Ranges and the Olympics of Washington. Forest is so thick with moss-covered trees and giant ferns.....it's often quite dark in there.....even when its sunny. LOTS of old logging roads that can lead you into a remoteness deep into the forest that can almost cause a panic attack.......if you find yourself lost or in trouble........nobody around to help 'ya in many cases and an unbelievable amount of Bigfoot sightings throughout the years to play with your mind while you're in there.
(Check out Google Earth, then zoom way down and click on the yellowish dots that only show a date or a partial date and you're directed to a Bigfoot Sighting website with LOTS of interesting encounters).
Smart to take a rifle and a handgun along IF you go camping in such a thick, dark forest, IMO.
Better safe than sorry, I say.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM

261 posts, read 923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePautsch View Post
I'm in Albany also, although maybe with a slightly different cut on it than Spiritbear (with regard to the "dirty" part...let's just say its a matter of opinion ).

I grew up in PA, and spent a year in Indianapolis in the early 80's, then joined the USN and spent the next 20 something years all over (including So. Cal)...so my perspective is a little different than many I guess.

We found the mid-Willamette valley to be a great place to raise kids and become part of the community. I spend quite a bit of time in Lebanon and Corvallis as well, both nice towns and (as with any town) have pros and cons as well.

It was a bit of a culture shock when we first got here (went to the mall one night to catch a movie at about 6:30...mall was closing, theater is actually a few blocks away! Yikes, we thought "what the heck did we do!") but have really come to love being part of a small town where you are constantly running into people you know...and where people actually talk to you in the lines at the grocery store.

Easy access to I-5, short drive to either the coast or the mountains, lots of hiking trails, bike path access all through Corvallis, river, Reservoir just a bit south of here for boating...fishing. Homes are affordable (more so recently) as compared to many other areas of the country (and even most of Oregon)....

I'd say the mid-Valley would be worth a look for you...

I grew up on the East Coast, but My mom and her sister are from Lebanon and still have family in Elmira and Springfield. I have flown to Oregon 3 times in my life and would love to retire out there. Compare the weather to New England, I will have no problem adjusting. I envy Oregonians! It's a great state and I look forward to my next visit!

THankyou for everyone for making it sounds even better than I remember!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM

875 posts, read 980,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
There are big critters but they dont bother you if you dont bother them. I would be more worried about getting shot at by rednecks then attacked by Bears or Cougars. No poision snakes in most of Western Oregon either.. Yes there are bears but no grizzlies. Bears dont bother you unless you bother them or have food. Keep your campsite clean and use common sense and you will be fine in the Oregon woods.

Also dont drive down closed roads in the winter in the mountains because theirs a reason they are closed even if you dont see a speck of snow.
there are timber rattlers in western oregon...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,602,232 times
Timber rattlesnakes are in the eastern part of the U.S. and Texas. They are in Texas but not anywhere close to Oregon. Read more here. The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management
The worst thing I have ever run across in the wild was a skunk out in the eastern part of Oregon. Now the skunk seemed mighty friendly but I just did not want to be friends with him.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM

875 posts, read 980,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Timber rattlesnakes are in the eastern part of the U.S. and Texas. They are in Texas but not anywhere close to Oregon. Read more here. The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management
The worst thing I have ever run across in the wild was a skunk out in the eastern part of Oregon. Now the skunk seemed mighty friendly but I just did not want to be friends with him.
Maybe I had my rattlesnake variety mixed up, but I know there are rattlers in western Oregon because I saw a few on our property in the Applegate Valley. In fact after looking it up, I see they're called the western rattler. I even took a picture of one that was crossing my driveway. We were told by locals that they were abundant in the valley. My father-in-law had rattlers in O'Brien too. Friends had rattlers in Jacksonville.

I didn't have to go into the wild to see critters while living in the Applegate, I could see them from my deck. I saw deer, cougars 3 times in broad daylight (they're not afraid of people) and very close, a bear and it's cub in daylight and close, blue heron, geese, rabbits, skunks, beavers, raccoons, otter, salmon, squirrels, eagles, ducks, bobtails, etc., etc., etc.

I don't think it's being paranoid to warn people that there is a definate possibility of running into critters while hiking, and they "should be prepared" in the event of that. Next thing we know, they're on the news and everyone in Oregon is saying....."what a stupid out of stater for not being informed."

LOL about the skunk....my husband actually had one chase him across our property once! PEW!!!!!! LOL

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 01-15-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

97 posts, read 480,716 times
The former State of Oregon is now an extension of northern Los Angeles County.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 PM

23 posts, read 89,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWhike View Post
The former State of Oregon is now an extension of northern Los Angeles County.
Hey PNWhike, I know what you mean. I feel San Diego is a extension of Mexico. Hopefully I will be moving next to you soon.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:43 PM

309 posts, read 326,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-4X Titan1 View Post
Hey PNWhike, I know what you mean. I feel San Diego is a extension of Mexico. Hopefully I will be moving next to you soon.
Seems like a gradual, mass exodus further north for soooo many folks.
South America moves into Central America, then Mexico......Mexico into the US and the longtime citizens of the US are retreating north into Oregon, WA, Idaho, Montana.......bunching up at the Canadian border.........about to FLOOD the Canadian landscape with American "refugees"?
Get ready Canada.....for a mass immigration from your south!
We all going to live in another century on the shores of the Arctic Ocean?
By then, with "global warming" it might be some decent real estate up that way?!
Real Estate speculators.........Arctic Oceanview land would be a bargain there at this time.....but someday??? Worth a fortune?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon