U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,884,927 times

Advertisements

Good God. It is NOT gray and miserable six months out of the year.

AGAIN: We get rain throughout the year. The grayest months are probably January. The last couple of days we had some beautiful weather. The thing is, we also get sun throughout the year, too. We've had gorgeous, sunny Christmases.

God, people, wake up. This state is NOT a rain gutter. Perhaps it feels that way because YOU have SAD. We have incredibly gorgeous Indian summers. We get rain in summer, yes. We also get sun in winter. Open your eyes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 PM

9,859 posts, read 11,248,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
God, people, wake up. This state is NOT a rain gutter.
I hear you, I've made some posts to that end myself. Here in NYC the sun has not been seen for more than a few hours at a time since just after Halloween. I doubt Oregon could be any rainier and/or overcast. For the most part NY'ers (nor anyone else for that matter) do not consider NYC a particularly rainy or cloudy place but, AFAICR, NYC has, on average, only 187 sunny days per year. What is Portland? Not a whole lot less I'll bet. But, as I observed in my last rant on the subject. The doom and gloom crowd are doing us a favor. Every person who crosses Oregon off their short-list because of all the fear mongering is a person less to encounter in the renewal line at the DMV.

H

Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 AM

2,091 posts, read 8,718,861 times
just a comment here, but I live on the Oregon Coast, and its been sunny blue skies here all week. Now its colder than snot, (well, cold for what we're used to really, 2 days in a row that it was less than 30degrees in the morning) but walkin to work the last few days, under that bright blue sky w/o a cloud in sight, i keep thinkin about the people on this board that go on and on about how dark and depressing it is in Oregon for 10month out of the year.(especially on the coast)....looking at the dark green trees set up so contrasting to the so so so blue sky, it almost hurts your eyes, i so wanted to take a pic. and post it. The weather here is great. We never get snowed in, it never gets so hot people are dying, we dont have tornados killing people, or hurricaines that wipe out entire cities. And please, we are not under any stinkin leaky cloud for months on end. I swear, if it rained here 1/2 as much as some people say, Oregon wouldve been washed out to see years and years ago....it cracks me up too, do people think one foot in each border will get a different sky? hummm, my right foot is in Cali, so its tan, my left foot is in Oregon, so its soaked. lol
Most of Oregon is a great place to live. There are places in Portland I wouldnt stay a night, must less live in, parks i wont walk in after dark, but doesnt every city have areas such as? And I showed a friend from Detroit one of our worst areas, and he laughed and laughed and said i was a wuss.....it was nothing near as bad as what he has been around there, at least thats what he said.....there are towns that i think are ugly, but others think are beautiful....some rotten nasty people that have done some horrible horrible things, but you'll find people like that everywhere....and the cheerful, friendly people much outweigh those nasty ones. I love living in Oregon, most people i know do as well...those that dont, well, they have a whole world to choose from, that they ought to go check out.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM

875 posts, read 980,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
Seems like a gradual, mass exodus further north for soooo many folks.
South America moves into Central America, then Mexico......Mexico into the US and the longtime citizens of the US are retreating north into Oregon, WA, Idaho, Montana.......bunching up at the Canadian border.........about to FLOOD the Canadian landscape with American "refugees"?
Get ready Canada.....for a mass immigration from your south!
We all going to live in another century on the shores of the Arctic Ocean?
By then, with "global warming" it might be some decent real estate up that way?!
Real Estate speculators.........Arctic Oceanview land would be a bargain there at this time.....but someday??? Worth a fortune?!

LOL I love it!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM

303 posts, read 778,676 times
Default OK. A few things

1) I didnt say Western Oregon had NO poisionous snakes. Just that MOST of it does not. I have researched this. The Coast strip and the Coast Range have NO poison snakes. The South Willamette Valley supposedly has a few but nobody seems to know if they really exist. Yes the Applegate valley and the Medford area have Pacific Northwest Rattlers which are a variant of the Western Rattlesnake. Very mellow and not too posionous.

2) It doesnt rain every day for 6 months out of the year but it rains a lot and it tends to be gray even when raining. Yes there is the occasional sunny day. I lived on the Coast and I must say that I think it was actually sunny more there in the winter than in the valley. Its freaking always foggy and gray here

3) One thing I wanted to add is the winters are not cold but I have seen the WORST ICE I have ever seen anywhere right here in Oregon. I am from Minnesota and have driven in blizzards with 3 foot drifts. When it gets icy in Oregon IT SUCKS. Its black ice and the drivers freak.

4) Critter wise. Its just common sense. I do agree with whoever said you can get so remote it can panic you. I happen to love that and think its the best thing about Oregon.

5) The people in Portland, Eastern Oregon, and some places are friendly. I have found the rest of the valley to be full of distrusting people.

Oregon is slowly becoming a spanish speaking nation. I think we will all end up in the arctic

Over all, I like Oregon but its not the paradise some would say.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 PM

875 posts, read 980,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
1) I didnt say Western Oregon had NO poisionous snakes. Just that MOST of it does not. I have researched this. The Coast strip and the Coast Range have NO poison snakes. The South Willamette Valley supposedly has a few but nobody seems to know if they really exist. Yes the Applegate valley and the Medford area have Pacific Northwest Rattlers which are a variant of the Western Rattlesnake. Very mellow and not too
posionous.

Oregon is slowly becoming a spanish speaking nation. I think we will all end up in the arctic

Just an FYI, all rattlesnakes are extremely dangerous, and no, Oregon is not the paradise some would say.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:42 AM

no, but to some of us, Oregon is as close to paradise as we can get.
each to their own, right?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 AM

15,205 posts, read 37,971,884 times
I lived in Illionois for 22 years prior to moving out to Oregon. I lived in Portland for 9 years, and now Salem for 8. Here is what I like:
1) We have great summers, NO humidity.
2) It doesn't get that cold. Haven't had to get a michelin man snowsuit for my kids.
3) I don't have to shovel my driveway (okay well once every 3-4 years when it snows), but if I want snow it's about 2 hours away.
4) The ocean is close.
5) It's green all year long. Indiana like Illinois, is dead and brown in the winter. I find that the greeness makes up for the rain.
6) I like to hike. I would recommend the Pacific Rim Trail, LoLo Pass, and Hike to Paradise (Mt. Hood). 3 sisters has some great hikes as well. There is a book called Pacific Northwest Hiking (I am sure it has been updated) but is has great trails in it. I've done quite a few, and they have a "butt kicker" scale which is VERY accurate.
7) I like the diversity. While Oregon is not the most racially diverse area, most people are really tolerant of others ideas and such.
8) There are parks everywhere. Urban growth boundaries are debated, but it is so much better than sprawl. It's all about perspective.

What I miss:
I lived close to Chicago so I miss some of the culture things like Broadway and the symphony. We do have those here, it's just a different level. I miss Marshall Fields (which is no longer) at Christmas and the window displays on the Magnificent Mile.
BUT Portland does have the lighted boats at Christmas. Salem has average restaurants, but Portland has some really great food. I really missed stuffed Chicago Style Pizza. Oregonian restaurants don't make it right.

I really like it here, and can't imagine living back in the Mid-west.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post

No way, Jose! Before this puppy moves to the cold Arctic, I'll try the expatriate life in a latitude south of where I am now.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 PM

BTW, we're into what, our 6th straight day of blue skies and sunshine w/o rain or fog...
LOVE your post Silverfall!
also, ive lived here all my life and have never once seen or heard a rattler. I asked my dad if he had, he was born, raised in Eastern Oregon, and he said he has heard talk of rattlers, but has never encountered one....and they lived out on a huge farm about as far Eastern Oregon as you can get.....
so I've heard of them, but dont know of anyone who has experienced them....Im not saying they're not out there, just not very common, obviously.
The two nasties I would fear more would be the 2 bad spiders. Black widows and Brown recluse. Ive never seen the BWs, but my stepmom got bit by a BR a few years back and it was awful!
We used to live waaaay out in the country, on just under 100acres and it backed to National Forestry land, so we saw lots of wildlife. Had bear tracks fairly close to the house a few times, lots of coyote, and the resident cougar. never had any issues w/them, if you dont tempt or tease them, your should be fine. Frankly, we had more problems w/the raccoons then we did anything else. They can be a real pain!

I love living here with our all public beaches, I cant imagine people owning the beach. To me, thats just wrong. Yes, we have people w/houses right about on the beach, w/stairs leading right to the sand, but anyone can go anywhere on our beaches. None of those fences in the sand....
Gotta love the kicker checks!!! saved our butts this Christmas!!
NO SALES TAX!!!!! yeeaeahhhh.
How many states can you do what my inlaws do? They have property where the front of the house looks out over the lake, on the far left is a creek, and theyre still within walking distance to the beach. Like 5 min. walkin distance. How cool is that?
theres something different here for most people. You can live at the beach, in the desert, on a mountain, or alongside a corn field. We do have Portland for the Urban life, or numerous subarbs and small towns.
just a few more of my thoughts/opinions/viewpoints.....
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon