U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 AM

2,091 posts, read 8,718,861 times

Advertisements

Today Chance of rain
Hi 46° Falling Temperatures
Tonight Chance Snow. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40% Chance Snow
Lo 27°F

Monday-M.L.King Day
Partly Sunny
Hi 38°
Monday night Blustery and clear
Lo 23°F

Tuesday Sunny
Hi 41°F Tuesday
Night
Mostly Clear
Lo 31°F

Wednesday Sunny
Hi 44°F Wednesday
Night
Mostly Clear
Lo 33°F

Thursday Slight Chance Rain
Hi 47°F
@@@@
this is just the next few days of our weather here, just so people who want to know, will know.
....note to self...must buy more pellets today! brrrrrrr!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,603,045 times
Yes it seems colder than usual here. it's almost enough to make you wish for the rain to come back and warm it up a little.
I've already got my pellet stove going and it's still daylight. For those who don't know: A pellet stove is a heating device. It takes small wood pellets and burns them. It doesn't put pollution into the air like the old wood stoves.
I still like it here at the coast. I was out earlier and the sun was amazingly bright today. I just love not having much snow and the views around here are wonderful. I can see the bay from my home.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,147 times
I moved to the Oregon coast about a year ago. I am 56 years old. My husband is 60. I work at home and he sells real estate part-time. We came from California It's beautiful, serene, very quiet, which I love. But.... I left five grandkids and all my friends who I miss very much. The wind is horrific from about Feb through July. The rain doesn't really bother me, except that it rains through what is supposed to be summer (May, June and July). I love to garden.. the deer eat everything!!!! what they don't eat, doesn't grow because the soil is very poor, so that has been an adjustment. I have to drive an hour to get anything of value, see a doctor, a dentist; you get the picture. All in all, if I were much older I MIGHT consider living here. There is just not enough going on here for me. I told my husband: I love visiting here, but not living here. We are planning on moving sometime in the next couple of years. Yippee!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM

2,091 posts, read 8,718,861 times
cstlgrl...what part of the coast are you on? Here in CoosBay, we have great summers! It went long enough w/o rain these last few summers that our lawn died from the lack of water. My flowers too when i forgot to water them. darn it! We lived right on the bay, and while we did have breezy days most days, the wind wasn't real bad, never had any damage or anything. Which bummed me out in a way, because I adore a good storm. We have some pretty good Doctors here, they fixed my little one just a few weeks ago from a rare kidney disorder, and the dentist here is way better then the ones I saw in Tigard, or Portland. If you love living along the coast, maybe you should head down here.
It is hard to leave friends and family. We moved here about 5hrs away from all of mine and it was quite an adjustment. Truthfully, as happy as we were with everything here, i missed everyone back where we came from bad enough I still concidered moving back. Now Im glad we didnt. Anyhow, maybe you should concider Coos Bay.
very best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 22,118 times
Default the world is being strangled by chain stores

"Now, there IS a FredMeyers, SuperWalmart, BiMart, Safeway, Albertsons, most your typical fast food places, and lots of terrific specialty shops for everything from gifts, to foods, so i shouldnt complain too much eh? "

I am surprised that this is considered a good thing. I've heard this on another posts too, I really find it strange that someone prides their town on having Walmart, Applebees, McDonalds, etc. Personally, those places make me sick. A town is a thousand times better without them. They are ugly to look at, gross, unhealthy, immoral, and rob a place of its own small businesses, personality and charm. I'm specifically looking for a place WITHOUT them.

There's my two cents.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM

9,882 posts, read 20,841,189 times
It sounds like oregon is the exact opposite of ca.I miss summer rains & cool summer days.Here in so.ca its hot/sunny/smoggy/hazy & dry usually from may-oct.ugh!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM

17,101 posts, read 20,883,321 times
Howdy Folks......................

Fer over four lustrums we've loved livin' way out heer in the country on the side of a beautiful forested mountain with artesian springs & a basspond.....................................o ur place is northwest of Grants Pass a ways.

We git many sunny mild temp days during all the four seasons.............but we need the rain too fer keepin' the forests green & fer fire safety & to keep our waterways full which also helps the fishin'....................................... ......................................

Bigfeets & the forest critters are our neighbors.......................

Since living in Oregon i've seen two Pacific Rattlesnakes. One was on display at the fish hatchery by Lost Creek Res. the other was on the high desert.

Have a Beautiful Day.......................

Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,484,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
For some reason i have a fascination with the Pacific Northwest idk y but i do. I think it's cause i grew up near the woods in indiana and always loved trees and gardens and Oregon seems like just the place for that. So i was wondering from my soon to be fellow oregonians (i think thats how it's spelled). whats it like to live there in general. I want responses from all over oregon to get the a general idea. Thank you very much
Duuuuude, it's totally awesome living in Oregon!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,084 times
I moved to the oregon coast almost 9 years ago from So. Cal. At first i hated it because I missed the warm weather and sunshine. Now I wouldn't move back to CA if you paid me. There is just too much traffic,smog,crime and too many people there. I like being able to park right in front of the store and not walk a mile on hot asphalt, I like not getting into a blast furnace every time I open my car door,I like that I can leave my milk in the trunk while I run a few errands and know that it won't be spoiled by the time I get home and I like not having to stand in lines when I go to the post office or DMV. And I especially like it that we don't pay sales tax or huge car registration fees. Property tax is higher but its a small price to pay for the serene environment and clean air. The life style here is much slower, people drive slower,cops get bored. Not much stays open late or on weekends. On the down side, there aren't many jobs, it rains a lot and most people walk around without a tan.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 AM

6,061 posts, read 14,391,556 times
We have seen signs posted near a popular hiking spot - Spencers Butte in Eugene, OR - warning hikers that rattlesnakes have been seen there. We've never seen - or heard - one, though. We have seen a hobo spider, though. Those things are freaky!

We absolutely love living in Oregon. We love being in the Willamette Valley where everything is so easily accessible. It's the perfect jump-off place... you live here, and here begins your adventures... drive any direction and you're running amuck, having fun, exploring something new... We love living a short drive to the awesome - and protected - Oregon Coast. There's no other place like it. We love living in such close proximity to mountains and tons of snow during the winters - and we love not having to deal with living with lots of snow during the winter... just knowing that we can go to it easily when we want to play in it! We love the hot springs. We love the laid-back culture. We love not having to pump our own gas. We love being able to enjoy some of the purest, most pristine lakes in the world. (Crater Lake, Lake Waldo...) We love the FOOD. We love the spirit of the people here. We love how easy it is here to get lost in the wild, and to learn about it. We love our OPB. We love our art and music here. We love our vineyards, our chocolate, our coffee, our seafood, our delicious dungeness, our organic farms and dairies our natural food co-ops our open-air markets our PYO berry farms our festivals our slug queen... our slugs. Our rhodies, our fields of tulips, our roses, our trees. We love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon