U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,957,672 times

Advertisements

haggardhouseelf,
Don't hold back.
Open up! Tell us how you really feel about living in Oregon!
(heeheeheeheehee)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
can anyone tell me about what its like to live in or around the Portland area? How about the surrounding areas? How about living across the river in WA and commuting into Portland? Whats the morning commute like?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,733,967 times
That's a really general question. In some ways, living in the Portland area is like living anywhere else - it's breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out all day long. Personally, I like it here. Can you give us an idea what kinds of things you're most interested in?

On the commute from WA, I know people who do it. It's pretty crowded at rush hour; there are only two bridges. One accident on the freeway and you're an hour late for work. I wouldn't recommend it unless you work a non-standard schedule.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,388,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
haggardhouseelf,
Don't hold back.
Open up! Tell us how you really feel about living in Oregon!
(heeheeheeheehee)
Hee hee ... OH! Did I mention our lavender? Oh my gosh. The lavender is so great right now... one of the years I'm going to make it to the Lavender festivals we have... but just riding your bike around you can pluck yourself a whole bunch! Just one sprig here, one sprig there... and soon you've got this great bouquet or enough to make your own wreath. The lavender is awesome here. And we even have locally produced tea (the peppermint is especially good) which I'm just learning about and which I LOVE! Coffee beans grow elsewhere and we ship in and roast here... but tea grows here and is produced here... lovely. Tastes amazing!!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 PM

378 posts, read 1,509,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hee hee ... OH! Did I mention our lavender? Oh my gosh. The lavender is so great right now... one of the years I'm going to make it to the Lavender festivals we have... but just riding your bike around you can pluck yourself a whole bunch! Just one sprig here, one sprig there... and soon you've got this great bouquet or enough to make your own wreath. The lavender is awesome here. And we even have locally produced tea (the peppermint is especially good) which I'm just learning about and which I LOVE! Coffee beans grow elsewhere and we ship in and roast here... but tea grows here and is produced here... lovely. Tastes amazing!!
You reminded me of when we lived by the mint fields. Wow, the smell was STRONG when they processed it. One day while walking, I pulled up a tiny piece of peppermint and planted it in my yard. It almost took over my yard! I guess plants love it here too.

Aren't those lavender fields by Dallas? Oh, and I remember the sunflower fields there too.

Oregon is a gorgeous state and I can't imagine living anywhere else! I was recently looking at top ten lists of fabulous fall foliage...thinking we will go to New England at some point....and Oregon made that list too (Columbia River Gorge). The fall colors in the valley are so pretty too!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 AM

6,061 posts, read 14,388,624 times
Lavender grows all over. Just all over the state! It's awesome. The festival brings together lavender farms that are mostly in the Portland, Yamhill, and Hood River areas... but there's fields of it everywhere. We have a few where I live in Eugene. People seem to plant a bunch of it, too, just along sidewalks, in medians, at parks, along roads, in yards. We went to the orthodontist today and there were rows of it outside the office. After the appointment we picked another handful and brought it home!

Rosemary is my favorite herb. I need to find a field of Rosemary! I grow Rosemary and I just go hug my plants sometimes because then I smell like them. Mmmmm. I know, I'm crazy.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,287,560 times
Question income taxes - tell me if i'm wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx513 View Post
can anyone tell me about what its like to live in or around the Portland area? How about the surrounding areas? How about living across the river in WA and commuting into Portland? Whats the morning commute like?
correct me everyone if i'm wrong... but i think if you live in WA & work in OR you're going to have unfavorable tax consequences.

and you def. can't pump your own gas in OR. but you can ask the attendant to wash your windows & give a tip if you aren't at costco.

topic: what it's like living in OR: a little bit o' heaven!

kate

Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM

17,091 posts, read 20,873,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Lavender grows all over. Just all over the state! It's awesome. The festival brings together lavender farms that are mostly in the Portland, Yamhill, and Hood River areas... but there's fields of it everywhere. We have a few where I live in Eugene. People seem to plant a bunch of it, too, just along sidewalks, in medians, at parks, along roads, in yards. We went to the orthodontist today and there were rows of it outside the office. After the appointment we picked another handful and brought it home!

Rosemary is my favorite herb. I need to find a field of Rosemary! I grow Rosemary and I just go hug my plants sometimes because then I smell like them. Mmmmm. I know, I'm crazy.

In the Spring lots of wild Lilac bush' sprout up outta the ground here.
Smells SO Good.

Also wild sweet peas, daisies, orchids, azaleas, berries, ferns, mushrooms, strawberries, etc..............

Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 AM

66 posts, read 268,996 times
This is an old post but it goes along with what I've been wondering.. anyone familiar with the area surrounding marylhurst university, does anyone hear about their reputation as a school and whats the town like? I have also always been fixated on the western part of the country as I have always lived in VA. I love the natural world, great and lovely outdoors but still like to be in a place where there is a coffeeshop with wifi and some small businesses..I could do without mal warts and fast food chains every corner lane. I am relieved to hear people say that it is sunny sometimes out there and not always dark and misty, but i can deal with a change in the weather, certainly after this oppressive summer. The main reason I am interested in marylhurst is for the music therapy program btw..anyone hear anything about that either? I would really appreciate specific/non-cryptic responses as the last time i posted some questions about marylhurst i got a surly know it all that treated me like i should already know everything about oregon even though i am not from there

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 PM

899 posts, read 2,806,186 times
I have a lavender that has a creeping thyme growing under it and when I water OH it smells so good. My rosemary is on the porch and I have touch when I go by..Also basil, smells so good.
Didn't have this in Ca..Sights a doe stopping cars in silverton so her fawn could safely cross the road, that was yesterday out by oregon gardens, the smells of new mowed hay..
Oregon even when ugly wet and cold out is still the best..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon