U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times

Advertisements

I was born and mostly raised here in Southern Oregon (medford area mostly), and I can't imagine living anywhere else in the U.S. There is SO much to do if you like the outdoors. There's hiking, fishing, camping (not in a campgound tho...) snowboarding, etc. I moved to Portland for college awhile back, and the rain/gloominess can get a person down. I found that going tanning a couple times a month lifted my spirits. It is a little expensive and is getting more crowded, but that just means there's more people to meet It's really nice to have the Rose Garden to enjoy concerts, games, and all the fun stuff a larger city has to offer.

The shopping and food choices are limited in Medford, but we have the essentials, and Eugene is only a couple hours away if you want to make a day or weekend of it. If you are looking for diversity, you probably want to consider Eugene or Portland.
The school system here leave a lot to be desired. The classroom size is too large and the children don't really get what they need. If you can afford to do private school or home school your children, they would be much better off.

I now live in Klamath Falls and it's probably one of the WORST places to live in Oregon. There are even fewer jobs here than in most towns. Many of the people from the outlying areas don't smell very nice, and don't take kindly to outsiders. Although we do have OIT to bring in some youth, everyone wants to graduate and get out of here. I wouldn't say raising a family here is a good idea. Unless your children are in to sports or you can supervise them when they are out of school, they will hate it here or get addicted to some drug or alcohol. We get a decent bit of snow here, but that's a plus in my opinion
The plus side is the cost of living here is pretty cheap...probably because nobody can get a job. The cost to BUY a decent home is around $85,000 so that has to say something about the cost.

The rest of Oregon is great...however...if you are from CALIFORNIA, please don't move here. I cannot stand the snooty attitude or mentality. Many of us TRUE Oregonians feel this way...you are just moving in and taking over our jobs. GET OUT!

Everyone else, you are more than welcome to come and experience what this fabulous state has to offer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,671 times
I just went through a divorce and have been living in Ohio for 10 years now...driving me crazy. I want to startva new life in Oregon but have never been there but im a very big outdoors kind of guy. I gre up in Vegas, lived there for 30 years...im 44. I know no one there which is a real bummer but something i cant explain is calling me to Oregon, i love it and have never even been there although ive seen and learned alot from ahows like Ariel America in which they did a beautiful documentary on Oregon. Im selling everything i own except my truck of course and driving out there with enough money to get me going with an apartment. My income will only be about 1,300 a month but my truck is paid for and i have no bills so i will be ok plus i got a little cash put aside. Ive been looking at Coos Bay and Newport area as i love the ocean and fishing, but i dont know the area? I need apartment rent in a decent area somewhat close to the west coast...main thing is i want to stay out of bad drug and crime areas. So can someone please help me out here? I need rent to be between 400 to 500 at most. Can anyone give me some good advice on a decent area close to the coast with decent rent and low crime? Thanks.
So

Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM

15,293 posts, read 16,201,678 times
Moving to the coast without a job is a recipe for poverty. Come visit in January and do a little job hunting before you make a big mistake.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,795,757 times
There is currently one rental in Newport, $675/month. Coos Bay has two rentals under $500.

You must come to visit first, you likely will not like the weather. Between that and a lack of jobs, you may not want to get stuck here.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM

11 posts, read 51,281 times
I'm working on relocating to Medford myself, however I'll be bringing my telecommuting job with me.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM

17,101 posts, read 20,886,603 times
Howdy cprice68,

You might like doing something like buying a used truck camper, shell, etc to sleep in until you decide where you want to live. You can do some fishin', exploring Oregon, if you wanna. ...Thats what we did years ago. Had some great times & found some fantastic fishin' holes, & beautiful scenery. Check out oregonfishingforum.com .Some nice friendly folks are thar. Many fish are caught. Good times are had.

Best of Luck to you bro...

Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,355,684 times
There are apartments available in that price range, but you will have crime for a neighbor. Sorry. Also that would be rent only. You will need utilities. As to the income (I would guess it is Social Security) there is no reason why you can't do well in Coos Bay on that.

If you plan on getting a job, forget it. It is not likely to happen. It could, but not likely.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Just wondering what life of a Jesus follower would be like in the Eugene area? I want to move there but i am a christian, follower of Jesus Christ and in my 50's. I am what you younger people would call a Jesus Freak....I'm not the person that hits you over the head with my bible, but if you seem interested i'll share...

Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,355,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryljax View Post
Just wondering what life of a Jesus follower would be like in the Eugene area? I want to move there but i am a christian, follower of Jesus Christ and in my 50's. I am what you younger people would call a Jesus Freak....I'm not the person that hits you over the head with my bible, but if you seem interested i'll share...

You will be well received, but expect more wiccans, atheist, non affiliated, LDS, JW and non religious then you may be used too.

But Christianity is alive and well. Some people just don't get it.

Let me know if you come and I'll hook you up with some Jesus Freaks who would love your company.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,790 times
hi, im thinking of moving to the states from Northern Ireland. Oregon sounds good for temperature and activities. Is cost of living high ? AZ folks complain of ac costs and water charges- is Oregon the same ?
is it safe ?
I want to get my move right for my two girls so they dont get moved about once we get there.
Is work plentiful ? Im a painter (no license as non required here ) and a fully qualified personal trainer
can anyone please recommend a good state to continue raising two girls (15 and 11yrs)
thankyou
Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon