Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,269 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Im from Atlanta and my family is planning on moving to somewhere in Oregon. They want me to pick and im caught between Astoria and Ashland. I want a place that is often cold or wet and mostly clouded. And it also has to be an area that has woods mostly around. It has to be a small city or area.
To put it more shortly informed, which one is a smilar replication of Forks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:

I want a place that is often cold or wet and mostly clouded. And it also has
to be an area that has woods mostly around. It has to be a small city or
area.
Astoria for sure.

But be careful what you wish for.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Ashland will have a cool, cloudy winter (although a shorter one than the Willamette Valley), but late summer will be dry and hot (by Oregon standards). The average high in mid-July to mid-August is 90° and it generally touches 100° and above for 10-13 days a summer. Astoria rarely hits 80° in the summer and is pretty damp year-round.

Ashland averages 18" of rain a year and about 198 days of sun/part sun, Astoria averages about 80" of rain and about 110 days of sun/part sun.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Astoria for sure.

But be careful what you wish for.
lol - funny but true

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I hope OP has a job lined up, because in both of those places jobs are hard to come by.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:23 PM

248 posts, read 340,981 times
Have you run your desire for 'wet and wooded' past your family? I for one would be suicidal in a week flat if I had to live in Astoria. Watch the TV show 'Twin Peaks' if you can find it on line for a heads-up on it. It wasn't filmed there, but might as well have been, including moody murder music. Astoria also had a 100 mph windstorm a few years back; it took out a LOT of the bigger trees and climate change being what it is (and the norm for there) there will be more. It shut down the town for a while because the roads were blocked by fallen monsters.

And whatever you do, don't buy near the piers where the sea lions sleep. They disappear for a few months during the nicest part of the summer, but they'll be back, and they're LOUD.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Astoria has never got significant snow ever since I have been in the PNW. In Dec 2013, Ashland had a low temp for a day of 5 degrees.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
I don't think Astoria is anything like either Twin Peaks or Twilight. The ratio of good-looking people is about reversed (i.e. instead of 95% hot or hunky, maybe only 5% are). OK, maybe only about 50% of the people in Twin Peaks were drop-dead gorgeous.

To the OP: if you want a town like Forks, why not move to Forks?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I don't think Astoria is anything like either Twin Peaks or Twilight. The ratio of good-looking people is about reversed (i.e. instead of 95% hot or hunky, maybe only 5% are). OK, maybe only about 50% of the people in Twin Peaks were drop-dead gorgeous.
…...........
Not only that, in Twin Peaks you got steaming hot cups of really good black coffee, not that fancy-schmancy stuff with flavorings and frothed milk you get nowadaze in Astoria.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQueen66 View Post
........ which one is a smilar replication of Forks?
Goodness, if Forks is your ideal, just move to Forks. If there are four people in your family, you'll increase the population of Forks by 10%.

There really isn't any place in Oregon that is the equivalent of Forks. All of the coastal towns, even the tiny coastal towns, are much bigger than Forks, with much better shopping and better weather. Forks can't compete with Portland on the size of the vampire population, either. (you know that wasn't really filmed in Forks, don't you? So you haven't really seen Forks.)

Astoria is the rainiest place in Oregon. If you do move to Astoria, there is a fish restaurant that is in an old boat that is excellent. I can't think of the name right now. It's an odd name, but how many old beached boats can there be in a town that size selling fish and chips?

In my opinion, there is a lot more to do in Ashland than in Astoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon