Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 PM

37 posts, read 144,286 times

Advertisements

I’m planning to move from San Diego to Ashland, Oregon either late in the summer or early fall. My initial plan is to keep my current rental in San Diego active while I rent a small furnished place in Ashland this June for about 4 weeks to make sure that I feel I’m making the right move. Over the past 15 years or so, I’ve visited Ashland three times before but I was never able to go alone where I could spend an adequate amount of time investigating the town. However, each time I was there I experienced a happy feeling in my heart. I’ve lived in small towns in the past and vastly enjoy them over living in a city. I've only lived in SD for about 3 years and I've had enough. The best part of living in SD is the weather and the ocean however having lived several years in the mountains of Colorado and Wisconsin I have to say I miss the four seasons. I’m getting on in my years (late 50’s) and want to live a more simple lifestyle. I don’t want to keep hustling in the corporate world just in order to drive a nice piece of sheet metal and live in a million dollar home. I have chosen Ashland because it is near the only family that I have left which is in Eugene. I like Eugene but really enjoy more of a village atmosphere where I can walk to the local food co-op and not have to travel far to the tennis club. Also, I like the four seasons but don’t really like as much rain as Eugene gets. I have a few questions about my plan to verify my course of action.

1)Are there certain times of the year which are more difficult to find a long term rental? What's the best time of year as I am pretty flexible on my timing for the move. I don’t need more than a 1,000 sq ft home and 1 to 2 bedrooms is fine. I have budgeted up to $1,300 and I would prefer to live near Lithia Park or the food-coop. Is this a reasonable expectation?
2)Other than Craigslist, are there any rental agencies in Ashland? I don’t mind paying for the information as long as they have rentals that are not all on Craigslist.
3)I understand employment is difficult in Ashland but I just need a basic part time job to earn some extra money. I’ve got some money saved up so I won’t have to depend on a full time job but would like to make a few extra bucks and also keep busy. I was wondering if the food co-op offered part time work in exchange for a discount on groceries? If no one on this forum knows for sure then I can find out when I visit there this summer.
4)I do like my tennis and was wondering if the only tennis courts in Ashland were at Lithia Park? I’ll probably join the athletic club as they have access to indoor tennis too. Playing indoors will be something that I’m not used to as I would prefer to play outdoors. Is it fairly easy to get a court at Lithia Park? How many courts are there? It sure looks like a beautiful place to hit the ball. I used to live in a little town called Ojai and it too had a similar setting of tennis courts at Libby Park. However I will have to say it does not hold a candle to the beauty of Lithia Park.
5) Google maps says the drive from Ashland to Eugene is about 2 hrs 47 minutes. Is it a pretty easy drive in rainy weather? Will I need chains in Ashland or is that more of a rare event? Do I even need to buy them?
6)This is a big move for me as I don’t know a soul in Ashland and am counting on making some friends that are in a spiritual path that I follow. If I strike out there I was wondering if there are some group activities like a Sierra Club that sponsors hikes and other activities like group tennis?

Thanks to all who care........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
If you've looked on Craigslist, you've seen the problem with rentals in Ashland - there aren't very many, particularly in the area around the Plaza or the Ashland Co-Op. You might have more luck on the south end of town (and while the Ashland Co-op is nice, I actually prefer Shop N Kart and Market of Choice on the other end of town). The worst time to look for long-term rentals would be anywhere near the start of the Southern Oregon University school year. A lot of the rentals are short-term summer rentals, although I've read that the city is cracking down on those, as they must be permitted for short-term and many of them are illegal.

You might try Ashland Property Management or Pacific Property Management, but I am pretty sure that they use Craigslist if they have openings. I also suspect that a lot of rentals just put a sign out front and don't bother to advertise.

The job situation, even for part-time jobs, relatively low-paying jobs, is tough. You have a lot of competition in what I would classify as the college student/"free spirit subsistence living" crowd, ie people who want to work part-time for the pocket money rather than want to work for a career or a living.

RE: chains. The worst road passes on I5 are just south of Ashland, not between Ashland and Eugene, although in big winter storm you can get snow on I5. There are times in winter that you are required to carry chain, just in case, although you might not have to use them - so part of the winter kit for your car should include chains, warm clothing and a tarp to put on the ground in case you actually have to chain up.

RE: tennis. Ashland Tennis and Fitness is a private club with tennis, pool, gym. I haven't ever been is so I don't know what it is like, although I am sure that if you google it they will have pictures on their website. Southern Oregon University also has courts that are open to the public at certain times.

There are lots of opportunities for to meet outdoor recreation fans in Ashland, I don't think you'll have any problems on that front at all. There are a lot of very active senior groups (of very fit seniors) in the area.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Thank you very much PNW for your informative reply.

A wonderful new development has just occurred. A friend of mine has just put me in touch with someone who is renting her studio apt that is located just 2 blocks from Lithia Park. It won't be a good option for a long term rental but it will work great for the month that I'm there in June. The landlord's husband plays tennis so I'll have someone to immediately connect with. I'll contact the property management firms that you referenced once I know that I want to make Ashland my new home. I like to walk a lot so I'll also cruise around the neighborhoods that I find appealing to see if there are any rental signs posted. I suppose I'm going about this is a very conservative way but I feel this will be the best way to know for sure that Ashland is the place for me.

Thanks again for your help.......most appreciated:-)

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM

50 posts, read 62,609 times
Be sure to come back here & let us know what you think of Ashland -- I'm a Seattlite in Minnesota, hoping to move to Oregon in the next few years. Thanks! :-)

Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 AM

609 posts, read 807,997 times
Why not Eugene?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM

Eric, I like Eugene but most of my family is located there; this is a two edge sword, if you know what I mean. I love my family but just don't want to be too close so that's why I thought Ashland would be perfect being a 2 1/2 hr drive away. But the main reasons for living in Ashland would be sunnier conditions and I like the "village" feel of Ashland more than Eugene. In Ashland I like the idea of living near the center of town where I can walk to just about everything......the food co-op, Lithia Park, and most of the stores. Also, I like the fact that Ashland has a lot of unique mom and pop stores versus the huge chain stores that take over most towns. That being said, Eugene definitely is still a nice town. I'd say my main concern about living in Eugene is the number of cloudier days greatly exceed the ones on Ashland.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,207 times
Default Did you move to Ashland, Oregon?

Hello Mirdad.

It was a long time ago, but I am now considering a move from the SF Bay Area to Ashland, or possibly up to the NW somewhere.

Did you move to Ashland,. If so, do you like it.

I just joined this forum, so I will seach more on this topic.

Thank you.

sftopnw--san francisco to pacific northwest

Old 04-08-2017, 03:36 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftopnw View Post
Hello Mirdad.

It was a long time ago, but I am now considering a move from the SF Bay Area to Ashland, or possibly up to the NW somewhere.

Did you move to Ashland,. If so, do you like it.

I just joined this forum, so I will seach more on this topic.

Thank you.

sftopnw--san francisco to pacific northwest
You can click on the OPs name and select: Find all posts by Mirdad. The last he posted, he was still in California and still considering the move to Ashland.

My suggestion. I'm sure you will love Oregon. Just make sure you have a job lined up, before you move.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM

sftopnw, no, still have not moved to Ashland. It's a long long story as to why but it has nothing to do about the actual move, more to do with my living situation in San Diego. The opportunity to make a move has resurfaced so that is why I'm back to doing some due diligence. Moving is not always an easy decision and I'm kind of torn between moving to Ashland or moving to Eugene. I want to be closer to my family who resides in Eugene but so far I like Ashland better. I will be visiting my sister this May in Eugene to give it another try. Most of the time I've visited Eugene there has been some kind of family drama or people are sick so I don't get the chance to do much. The biggest drawback for Ashland is it's at least a 3 hour drive to the coast, whereas in Eugene it's about 75 minutes. The drawback about Eugene is Ashland has sunnier weather and shorter winters. I believe I'd be able to play tennis outdoors more frequently in Ashland than Eugene. Being an avid tennis player this is a big deal for me. A few month playing tennis indoors is not a big deal. I think in Eugene it might be as much as 7 months.....

Sorry I don't have any new information for you but I will be sure to let you know when I make the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: