Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Only place I've ever got a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving in Oregon was in Douglas County near Elkton driving over to see a friend in Coos Bay. That was 30 years ago. Total speed trap. Well, maybe I was going 5 over but no more than that. I blew off the ticket and 10 years later it caught up with me when I went to get my first mortgage in Alaska and it popped on my credit report. So I had to pay it with all the back fees.

Only other thing I really remember about Douglas County was stopping at Rice Hill for ice cream when we were driving from Eugene down to Grants Pass to see family. Is that still a thing? Does everyone stil stop in Rice Hill for ice cream?
Yep. I stop there often just for the huckleberry milkshake. The large order of french fries will also feed six.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Only place I've ever got a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving in Oregon was in Douglas County near Elkton driving over to see a friend in Coos Bay. That was 30 years ago. Total speed trap. Well, maybe I was going 5 over but no more than that. I blew off the ticket and 10 years later it caught up with me when I went to get my first mortgage in Alaska and it popped on my credit report. So I had to pay it with all the back fees.

Only other thing I really remember about Douglas County was stopping at Rice Hill for ice cream when we were driving from Eugene down to Grants Pass to see family. Is that still a thing? Does everyone stil stop in Rice Hill for ice cream?
Elkton is still a speed trap. There is a 20 mph School Zone on the highway, and there is usually one OSP cop collecting revenue there, at any given time. I always make sure my speed is under 30 mph when the lights are flashing. Then I push it back up to 70 mph and it's clear sailing until I get to Reedsport. If you don't have Oregon plates you should probably be under 25 through Elkton.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-08-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 12:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
If there is a flashing light that says "school zone" the limit is 20 and they will fine for even slightly over that.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Engineer...ool-Zones.aspx

City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Elkton is still a speed trap. There is a 20 mph School Zone on the highway, and there is usually one OSP cop collecting revenue there, at any given time. I always make sure my speed is under 30 mph when the lights are flashing. Then I push it back up to 70 mph and it's clear sailing until I get to Reedsport. If you don't have Oregon plates you should probably be under 25 through Elkton.
There you again with that 70mph crap. Just what kind of car do you drive, that you feel safe driving that fast, on winding roads designed for 55?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
The flashing lights happen during times when children are present, such as when school lets out. Anyone who can't be bothered to slow down to 20 mph does not deserve to have a drivers license. There are good reasons for that particular speed limit. Anyone who is interested can learn more here:

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com...se-with-speed/

I am not interested in debating this. This information has been posted for those who are considering taking the bad advice given here and going just under 30 in school zones when the lights are flashing.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
There you again with that 70mph crap. Just what kind of car do you drive, that you feel safe driving that fast, on winding roads designed for 55?
There you go again with the fake shock that people are driving 70 mph. The speed limit on many Oregon roads is 70 mph. The flow of traffic on Highway 38 is 60 to 65, when it is moving. I drive a Honda Civic. I don't know how fast it will go, but I expect I could get it well over a 100 mph. I have been over 90 mph when passing.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
There are only 2 stretches of highway in Oregon that have a 70mph limit and they are nowhere near you. The highest speed limit on I-5 and other rural highways is 65mph. In early 2016, Oregon upped the speed limit on some rural highways to 65 and then promptly dropped the limit back in several areas because of an immediate drastic uptick in accidents.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There you go again with the fake shock that people are driving 70 mph. The speed limit on many Oregon roads is 70 mph. The flow of traffic on Highway 38 is 60 to 65, when it is moving. I drive a Honda Civic. I don't know how fast it will go, but I expect I could get it well over a 100 mph. I have been over 90 mph when passing.
LOL at "the flow of traffic on Hwy 38..." I've driven it many times, and there is seldom a lot of traffic, let alone a flow of traffic. I do 60 on the straighter portions. Not safe above that. I do 5 over on the interstate, as well. And I drive a SUV that will handle a deer/elk collision better than a Civic. Now I know who to look for.
I don't need tickets or insurance hassles. You apparently do.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
After dark, I hold it to about 45 mph on rural roads like 38. That gives me the chance to slow down to deer speed before I hit a deer. During the day, with better visibility, I drive faster, but have never hit 70 on 38. Locals who know the road drive about 60 in the daytime, and slow down at night.

In school zones I always drive 20 mph. That gives me the chance to slow down to kid speed before I hit a kid.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Anyone who wonders why some Oregonians are less than thrilled by the California invasion need look no further than certain of the comments in this thread. No one's time is so important that they can't even be bothered to adhere to speed limits in a school zone.

This is the first summer I've spend much time in the -48 in awhile, and it seems like there's a wreck almost every day anymore between here and Eugene. Highway 58 up to Oakridge isn't much better. I don't remember it being this bad several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon