Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of this, it brings in an unnecessary danger to the freeways, especially during heavy traffic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
95% of people against lane splitting do not commute via motorcycle and most have never thrown their leg over one. They also don't take time to study motorcycle safety, but they seemingly know all there is to know about lane splitting and have all the answers. This thread will end predictably.
Bler144 has an extremely valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
As one more note, one significant difference between the population centers of Oregon and the population centers of CA is climate. Comparatively L.A. has less precipitation, and longer daylight hours.

It's one thing to think of lane splitting at 6pm in July in the bright sunshine, and another in Feb in heavy drizzle and darkness.
I see you are posting from Virginia.
Do you realize what the weather is like around here for a good portion of the year?

There are already enough problems with visibility and congestion around here without introducing this.
Whether you are or aren't a motorcycle rider has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMhgcwSqeM

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It might startle some car drivers at the start, poor babies, but they would get used to it.

The Portland area girlie men in the legislature, the ones who think it's much too dangerous for Oregonians to drive over 65mph on I-84, probably won't let it happen, anyway. If they could get away with it, they would probably outlaw those crazy motorcycles: "Motorcycles are inherently very dangerous vehicles," said Sen. Rod Monroe, D-Portland. "Any time a motorcycle gets into a crash with an automobile, the motorcycle loses...There will be motorcyclists who will die if this becomes law."
It will startle some drivers, you're right. And startled people in 3500+ lb vehicles do crazy and dangerous things. Not to mention sometimes aggressive things. That's not really good for the motorcyclist, but that would be a risk they would have to take.

On the other hand, I really don't care if the motorcycles get ahead of me, I just don't want them accidentally taking off my mirror or colliding with me because someone else doesn't see them and changes lanes in front of them or something like that. Lane splitting just seems to add yet another layer of unpredictability to traffic and creates more opportunities for an accident to occur. More accidents are not what we need in a city (and this law really would have the greatest impact in the Portland area if we are being honest) where all it takes is one freeway traffic disruption to seize up the flow of practically ALL of the freeways in the area.

I guess we will see what happens!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times
I have no opinion one way or the other but I would like to know if there is a higher incidence of motorcycle fatalities per (mile? Capita? Registered bikers?) in California than in its neighboring states. I can't seem to find that anywhere. And if that information is available, then how many of those fatalities stem from lane splitting?
Another question to answer is how much, really, would lane splitting save on general traffic congestion in Oregon? I can't imagine it would be much, but are there any studies, apart from the one mentioned in the article, that suggests there would be?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years, I've never seen the need to lane split, but that's just me. I currently ride a large touring bike, so lane splitting is out of the question. There are enough problems with automobile drivers not seeing a motorcycle and turning in front of them, this will add another dynamic for drivers both motorcyclist and automobile to contend with.

If you want to lane split, so be it, just don't start the mantra that it is safer for motorcyclist, you know, kind of like "Loud pipe saves lives", type of stuff.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Quote:
95% of people against lane splitting do not commute via motorcycle and most have never thrown their leg over one. They also don't take time to study motorcycle safety, but they seemingly know all there is to know about lane splitting and have all the answers. This thread will end predictably.
I have ridden many miles on a bike in Oregon and the freeways around Portland. Some riders are unsafe by nature and will taste the asphalt one way or the other. I have some road rash myself. I believe that lane splitting is a recipe for death for a few riders. Would I ride the line? Slowly yes. Will everyone? No. If we will tolerate that people will inevitably die doing this then make it so.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
If the regulations about speed and traffic conditions are enforced, I don't really have too much of a problem with this. I question that it'll actually improve anything though. Motorcycle commuting doesn't seem to be very popular to start so the benefits would be marginal at best. Add in the non-zero number of immortal jackasses who will wind up splattered across the pavement and it might even be a net loser for overall traffic flow.

Quote:
Did you have a point to make, or just pop in to casually attack anyone who doesn't agree with you?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 PM

New Year’s Day Motorcycle Death Raises Questions about Lane Splitting | FOX40

Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I have no opinion one way or the other but I would like to know if there is a higher incidence of motorcycle fatalities per (mile? Capita? Registered bikers?) in California than in its neighboring states. I can't seem to find that anywhere. And if that information is available, then how many of those fatalities stem from lane splitting?
My understanding is that studies in California, have shown that there is no significant increase in fatalities of motorcyclist. However there are more cases of motorcycles rear-ending cars, due to lane splitting.

The reason I think car drivers should be against lane splitting. If you are driving in heavy traffic and trying to change lanes, finally you see a gap in the next lane. So you signal and start to move over. Then suddenly out of nowhere a biker comes riding up the white line at high speed and crashes into you, there is a good chance you will be found at fault for that accident, if lane splitting is legal. You could probably argue that he was speeding, but that would be hard to prove, and you would more then likely get a ticket for an improper lane change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon