Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,524 times

Advertisements

Shannan, what types of pointers are you looking for? I live in Salem.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Don't say... you people.

Duck77 is that person....

We don't think like the OP....

freedom
You all notice that the OP has thrown out that controversial post and disappeared ?

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 AM

67 posts, read 198,979 times
I have to go on record. I'm from California and have only once encountered anti-California sentiment, and that was when I was doing something really stupid while driving, with a California license plate. New people are moving to Oregon all the time, and obviously its closest and most populous neighbor to the south contributes the largest population influx. The person who started this board expecting to find kindred souls won't find many, because so many Oregonians migrated here from somewhere else. Frankly, speaking on behalf of just about everyone here in Southern Oregon, we welcome outside influences from everywhere. Diversity is healthy. Close-mindedness is dangerous.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I love france and I love oregon. not to worry im staying here.
besides i cannt bear running over all those giant banana slugs with my bicycle.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM

22 posts, read 88,197 times
Dear Ducks,
I actually visited Bandon Bay and the surrounding area a good while back and though I am from N. California I did enjoy the area and everyone that I met was very kind. I do feel for you though that certain kinds of change are not too desirable, I might suggest that many people that would want to move to your area may share the desire to leave extreme materialism behind and enjoy a simpler existance; do you think? By the way, my vehicle was already about 9 years old when I drove up there to Oregon. I was warned that your policemen love giving tickets to Californians but since I love looking at the beautiful scenary I suspect I might have received a ticket for going too slowly.
Good tidings to you and I wish you peace and joy!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM

493 posts, read 665,316 times
I've been tempted go the opposite direction and give LA a try. Go figure.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 11,344 times
I have been lurking on City-Data for many years and when I read Duck's post I had to come out of the wood work.

I am a native Cali woman and have lived 43 of my 45 years in Northern California (originaly born in So Cal). Being from Nor Cal, I feel like I am constantly defending myself from people such as him. We are not ALL alike, so please do NOT put us all in the same bag, I get highly offended when people say "You Californians" when alot of us are not your stereo-typical "hangin' at the beach, waiting for a narley wave, Hummer-drivin' Shopaholics. Yes, we have those but not everyone is like that.

My husband and I are looking for the place that you think "we want to change". Hey, that is great that folks drive slower....don't got a prob with that! Invading you? I don't think so....have any idea how many Oregon plates or transplants I have met in my lifetime (not to mention your northern neighbor, Washington!). Maybe what you have is what we had at one time before we were "invaded" and want that life back.

If I had a nickle for every time someone moved into California...well you would be calling me Bill Gates BUT since it won't happen you have to get over it and move on. Don't be so bitter and instead be flattered that so many people are leaving their homes to come to your beautiful state.

Now I must leave so that I can go shopping and being a materialistic Californian! hee hee

Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
30 years ago when we moved from California to Oregon, OH MY GOSH! We had to hide the fact that we were from California because people were hostile. I was actually born in Chicago (moving to Cal. when I was only 4), but back then I told people I was from Chicago (not a lie) to avoid the bad treatment. Today, I do not think anyone cares. I'm always running into people who have just moved from California and I say welcome.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 62,936 times
This isnt a big issue; yes, some Oregonians love to give California/Californians a bad time, but I think it is ridiculous to worry about telling people you are from California. However, I do understand a little bit of the orginal posters sentiments. Until I moved to Arizona several years ago for college, I hardly knew anything about Coach, Gucci, Prada, or Louis Vuitton(sp?). The amount of luxury cars on the road in Oregon were far fewer than what I saw in Phoenix as well. Am I trying to say that Oregonians are less materialistic? In a way yes. Ive never heard anyone ever refer to Oregonians as being flashy. Other than a few small towns that have a reputation for being "wealthy," Oregon really doesnt have any Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Palm Springs/Scottsdale. Because of the lack of super-rich areas, I think even many wealthy Oregonians would feel uncomfortable with trying to be flashy. You will find some gated communties in Oregon, but overall this state has an open, "everyone is equal" kind of mentality( even tho financially, everyone is far from equal) which lessens the amount of people trying to one-up eachother with material goods. Overall though, just remember that no Oregonian wants to hear what an outsider thinks is wrong with the state. Statements such as, "I think it is so stupid that I cant pump my own gas!!" and "California has much better beaches and mountains" will not make you friends in this state. Trust me, I have plenty of complaints about Oregon, but I still feel unfortable when I hear out-of-staters talking crap about my native state. It's kind of like how its okay to complain about your own family members, but if someone else talks crap about your mom or dad, it is definitely not okay. hope this helps!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Most people dont give a rip where youre from......and if they Do, well, then theyre typically not worth your time/effort/friendship IMO.
ive lived here all my life, and could really care less about where people came from (although its fun to meet people who moved from far away and get their take on life here, i enjoy hearing about other areas people have lived in too) What matters to me is what kind of person you are. Come and enjoy Oregon and all there is to love here. Im thankful I live here, and know Im blessed by friends/family who've moved here from other states. I just hate the complainers. lol
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon