Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:25 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,253,997 times

Advertisements

OP, I am from the west coast, and have lived in Northern CA (coast and inland) and Western WA. I moved to TN for 5 years (Nashville area) and we vacationed in FL (Seaside).

I don't think anywhere out here is going to feel humid to you. The coast will be cool and will be foggy sometimes, but that is not the same type of humidity you live with in FL.

So, I would not discount the coast. And the air quality should be great on the coast. It's much cooler in summer, and milder in winter, too.

I now live on the far north coast of CA, just across the OR border, and I love it. Never too hot, never too cold, and the air quality is fantastic.

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM

44 posts, read 54,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, I am from the west coast, and have lived in Northern CA (coast and inland) and Western WA. I moved to TN for 5 years (Nashville area) and we vacationed in FL (Seaside).

I don't think anywhere out here is going to feel humid to you. The coast will be cool and will be foggy sometimes, but that is not the same type of humidity you live with in FL.

So, I would not discount the coast. And the air quality should be great on the coast. It's much cooler in summer, and milder in winter, too.

I now live on the far north coast of CA, just across the OR border, and I love it. Never too hot, never too cold, and the air quality is fantastic.

FWIW.
Thanks! That's a new suggestion, very helpful. Any specific towns in Northern California you might recommend? I'm not familiar with that area.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarleee View Post
Thanks! That's a new suggestion, very helpful. Any specific towns in Northern California you might recommend? I'm not familiar with that area.
You are not going to find "cool dry air" on the coasts (Nor California, Oregon or Washington). You are going to find between 66-90" of rain a year and considerable cloudiness and fog and fairly high humidity. The temps will be cool year-round, without any real snow.

The entire coast, from California through Washington, is a string of tiny towns with limited hospitals/medical and shopping, separated from higher population areas by a mountain chain, with the drive inland to larger cities being 1-2 hours over roads that can be dicey in winter.

If you are bringing a job with you or want a peaceful small-town retirement and prefer cool, often cloudy weather, the coast can be the right place.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You are not going to find "cool dry air" on the coasts (Nor California, Oregon or Washington). You are going to find between 66-90" of rain a year and considerable cloudiness and fog and fairly high humidity. The temps will be cool year-round, without any real snow.

The entire coast, from California through Washington, is a string of tiny towns with limited hospitals/medical and shopping, separated from higher population areas by a mountain chain, with the drive inland to larger cities being 1-2 hours over roads that can be dicey in winter.

If you are bringing a job with you or want a peaceful small-town retirement and prefer cool, often cloudy weather, the coast can be the right place.
Which locations would you suggest for cool, dry weather (even outside the PNW, if you know of any)? I was told East WA and central OR have this type of weather, but not the best economy for lawyers/legal work.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Which locations would you suggest for cool, dry weather (even outside the PNW, if you know of any)? I was told East WA and central OR have this type of weather, but not the best economy for lawyers/legal work.
On this coast you have pretty much four vertical bands of weather from the Oregon border to Canada. Going from west-to-east:
1. The cool, rainy, humid, tourist-driven coast, cut off from the main valley by the Coast Range.
2. The maritime inland valleys (Eugene to Seattle, pretty much - all of the larger cities are in this zone). Rainy cool winters, dry warm summers. The further north you go, the cooler the summers. There is a lot of agriculture in these valleys, which means dust and pollens in the summer.
3. The Cascades (high mountains, no large cities, lots of snow and cold in the winter, short beautiful summers).
4. Central/Eastern Oregon and Washington. Two seasons, summer and winter, with a short fall. Cold in the winter, some snow which doesn't tend to stick around, warm but not too hot in the summer. Tends toward dry and dusty, which may or may not suit you. The largest cities would be Bend, OR; Pendelton, OR; Wenatchee, Wa; Yakima, Wa; Walla Walla, Wa; Spokane, Wa; Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Wa, Hanford, Wa, Pasco, Wa) and Spokane, Wa. (With the exception of Spokane, all of those cities are well under 100,000.) Temps vary with elevation.

There are some geographic exceptions - Southern Oregon (Ashland to Grants Pass, probably summers that are far too hot for you), Puget Sound in the Olympic Mountain rainshadow from Sequim to Port Townsend.

The problem for you with the inland west is that most of the larger cities are in valleys and have winter inversion problems from wood stoves and other burning and then the larger cities (like Denver) also have summer smog in the cities of the Front Range (and, for that matter, cities like Grand Junction on the west side of the Rockies have the same problems).

Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
On this coast you have pretty much four vertical bands of weather from the Oregon border to Canada. Going from west-to-east:
1. The cool, rainy, humid, tourist-driven coast, cut off from the main valley by the Coast Range.
2. The maritime inland valleys (Eugene to Seattle, pretty much - all of the larger cities are in this zone). Rainy cool winters, dry warm summers. The further north you go, the cooler the summers. There is a lot of agriculture in these valleys, which means dust and pollens in the summer.
3. The Cascades (high mountains, no large cities, lots of snow and cold in the winter, short beautiful summers).
4. Central/Eastern Oregon and Washington. Two seasons, summer and winter, with a short fall. Cold in the winter, some snow which doesn't tend to stick around, warm but not too hot in the summer. Tends toward dry and dusty, which may or may not suit you. The largest cities would be Bend, OR; Pendelton, OR; Wenatchee, Wa; Yakima, Wa; Walla Walla, Wa; Spokane, Wa; Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Wa, Hanford, Wa, Pasco, Wa) and Spokane, Wa. (With the exception of Spokane, all of those cities are well under 100,000.) Temps vary with elevation.

There are some geographic exceptions - Southern Oregon (Ashland to Grants Pass, probably summers that are far too hot for you), Puget Sound in the Olympic Mountain rainshadow from Sequim to Port Townsend.

The problem for you with the inland west is that most of the larger cities are in valleys and have winter inversion problems from wood stoves and other burning and then the larger cities (like Denver) also have summer smog in the cities of the Front Range (and, for that matter, cities like Grand Junction on the west side of the Rockies have the same problems).
Thank you! This very detailed and helpful

Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you! This very detailed and helpful
Most of the lists I have seen for the best air quality look at ozone and particulates - but you may also want to consider dust and pollen. Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico generally score pretty well, but that might be a hotter summer than you want.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Most of the lists I have seen for the best air quality look at ozone and particulates - but you may also want to consider dust and pollen. Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico generally score pretty well, but that might be a hotter summer than you want.
Definitely. We were considering super dry regions like Arizona and NM, since they seem to have less allergens... but the heat index, yikes. My partner wasn't too excited about moving from one very hot location to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon