Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times

Advertisements

I think they're the most unspoiled mountainous part of the state and most of the range is national forest. Would you support turning it into a national park to protect it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Having the Forest Service designate it as wilderness might be easier than having it switch agencies.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:03 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think they're the most unspoiled mountainous part of the state and most of the range is national forest. Would you support turning it into a national park to protect it?
Since much of the area in Northeast Oregon you are talking about (I assume you are including the Elkhorn and Wallowa mountains in addition to the Blues) is national forest, it is already being preserved. What's nice is a lot of people don't seem to know about it. Why ruin it by making it a National Park which would flood the area with people. We don't need another Greater Bend Oregon area.

Have you ever been to the Steen's Mountain/Malheur Wildlife Refuge/Alvord Dry Lake/etc. area in Southeast Oregon? If you want unspoiled, go there.

There was a time when there was a movement to turn this area into a National Monument or even a National Park. The locals and environmentalists knew that the resulting influx of people would ruin it so they fought it. Instead, the Steens Mountain BLM Cooperative Management and Protection Area was created: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steens...tal_protection

Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
People who support economic development would like the idea. It would bring billiion$ into the local economy for construction of roads, lodges and tourist facilities.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Having the Forest Service designate it as wilderness might be easier than having it switch agencies.
There are actually quite a few wilderness designations in the NE part of the state already, including the North Fork John Day wilderness & the North Fork Umatilla wilderness in the Blue Mountains. There is also the Eagle Cap wilderness, Hells Canyon wilderness, and a few others in the vicinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Since much of the area in Northeast Oregon you are talking about (I assume you are including the Elkhorn and Wallowa mountains in addition to the Blues) is national forest, it is already being preserved. What's nice is a lot of people don't seem to know about it. Why ruin it by making it a National Park which would flood the area with people. We don't need another Greater Bend Oregon area.

Have you ever been to the Steen's Mountain/Malheur Wildlife Refuge/Alvord Dry Lake/etc. area in Southeast Oregon? If you want unspoiled, go there.

There was a time when there was a movement to turn this area into a National Monument or even a National Park. The locals and environmentalists knew that the resulting influx of people would ruin it so they fought it. Instead, the Steens Mountain BLM Cooperative Management and Protection Area was created: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steens...tal_protection
I couldn't agree with you more! Honestly, I don't feel like National Parks preserve an area. Just head to Yosemite or Yellowstone if you don't believe me! Traffic jams, smog and trash everywhere. I'm fine with the USFS managing these lands, whether it's managed as wilderness or mutli-use. They both have their values.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I agree with the thrust of this thread. The Blue Mountains should not be a national park. They are too valuable. The Wallowas, in particular, are already heavily used, national park designation would result in much heavier impacts. The rest of the Blues are less well known and used, but protected from extreme exploitation. That is a sensible middle ground for the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon