Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 10,219 times

Advertisements

Edit nm
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Lets not forget Halsey, Brownsville, Harrisburg and our friends up on the North Santiam in Scio and Stayton. I still have a genuine Albany Timber Carnival Wooden Token from 1966. Linn County is the land that time forgot. One thing I don't miss is that basic pulp and paper plant on I-5 just north of Albany. You could smell it from nearly twenty miles north or south of Albany depending on which direction the wind was blowing.
I love the smell of pulping in the morning, it smells like ....

Old 09-14-2015, 02:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
I have a more specific definition of "redneck." To me it means rural poverty and extreme lack of education, like not finishing high school.

I don't necessarily consider guns on a rack in a pickup with a 6 point in the bed a "redneck" thing because to me the pickup with guns and deer = money. There is a difference between country and redneck.

The place where I notice "rednecks" by my definition is La Pine, OR. Also Prineville to some extent.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJohnson92346 View Post
Does Oregon have rednecks?

We're doing research for a study and we're wondering if anyone could tell us where the rednecks live in Oregon. Every state has them. Where would we most likely see them if we drove through.

A Redneck is defined in many ways. Usually, it's republican truck drivers who are racist, but they're also just guys who drive trucks and hunt and fish.

Any help is appreciated.

Nick
The mall doesn't have the outdoor network? I'm starting to believe the mall now has a birthing unit so people can live from birth to death right inside the mall.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I have a more specific definition of "redneck." To me it means rural poverty and extreme lack of education, like not finishing high school.

I don't necessarily consider guns on a rack in a pickup with a 6 point in the bed a "redneck" thing because to me the pickup with guns and deer = money. There is a difference between country and redneck.

The place where I notice "rednecks" by my definition is La Pine, OR. Also Prineville to some extent.
I don't agree with the poverty requirement. Here in Texas there are a ton of guys working out in the oil fields who make good $$$$ and have big new diesel trucks and proudly proclaim their membership in the redneck nation. Who am I to tell them they are wrong and only pseudo-rednecks because they aren't poor enough?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
I think the term Redneck is changing. It used to mean one thing, but it has now split and can be used in different ways.

It used to be a derogatory remark referring to poor, uneducated, workers or farmers or anyone working in a situation where hard-labor was involved, especially outdoors.... which is where the term originated because they would literally have sunburn on their necks... red necks.

But at some point things began to change, and hard-working, typically uneducated Americans began to embrace the term and use it with pride, as a form of identity and community. And when I say uneducated, I mean formally, as in little to no college and perhaps not even a HS diploma - because there are different forms of education and Rednecks are highly educated in areas where rich urban highly formerly educated people are completely ignorant.

It's somewhat similar to how Black Americans now may refer to each other as the N word but if a white person calls a Black person the N word it can be viewed as offensive. The term Redneck is not so controversial as the N word, but there is a similarity. There is a derogatory way to use the term, but there is also a way that Rednecks themselves use the term to describe themselves and their community which is with pride and a sense of patriotism and faith and community. I would also add old-school values and traditionalism as traits Rednecks identify with.

I started noticing this change soon after 9/11, but it probably had begun before that.

I'm a native Texan, BTW. And my family is full of Rednecks. Really, you don't need to worry about Rednecks. They are usually good people. It's the White Trash you should watch out for!

But to answer the OP: Oregon is full of Rednecks!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
nothing wrong with rednecks, darlin'......

Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Love that. ^^ I tried to rep ya' but I gotta spread it around...

Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
How we rednecks do things out here in Baker City.

Letter to the editor in Monday's Baker City Herald:

Old 09-25-2015, 02:32 PM

325 posts, read 336,596 times
Trucks with huge tires, working on farms, blah blah blah. I have limited college education and have more of a blue collar job that pays me pretty well, so I must be a redneck. But I drive a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder Honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon