Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone has seen that advice, even the newest residents. Here's a good reason why: dry wood burns cleaner.

I just had the chimney sweep out. He cleaned my house and my rentals and my son's rentals.

The stove pipes at the rentals were full of gunk. They had to be scrubbed. The spark arresters were jammed with junk and barely letting any air through. They had to be scrubbed.

At my house, the brush just slid down the stove pipe, not encountering any resistance. There was nothing on the spark arrester. I use only wood heat. My wood stove is used a lot.

The difference is that the tenants always cut their wood in the summer and burn it that same winter. My firewood, that I am using this year, has been stacked at my house for nine years. Wet wood produces a lot of creosote and other gunk to coat your stove pipe and collect in your spark arrester. That creosote in your stove pipe can catch on fire and cause a fire in the stove pipe. That ruins the pipe and might even set your house on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Another bonus, well dried wood produces almost no smoke. With wet wood, you can see a lot of smoke coming out of the top of the stove pipe. At my house, if I walk outside and look, I can see the heat waves distorting the air, so I know that the wood stove is burning, but there is no visible smoke.

I suspect that is something that the neighbors appreciate.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Okay, are we all invited to make S'mores at your home? My fireplace isn't fit to use so I can't have a fire because of all the cracks.

Enjoy!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,917,567 times
Alas, we are stuck playing catch-up, if you will. First year we used what the last tenants left behind, which was pretty horrible all around. Ordered seasoned stuff last year and still have some leftover. Ordered enough this year to last three years or so. It takes time.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Dry wood also heats much better. If you burn wet wood, you have to boil all that water up the chimney, and that is a huge amount of heat going to waste. When you burn dry wood you don't need anywhere near as much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: