Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:53 AM

920 posts, read 931,811 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon
We have job prospects in Tillamook as I've already spoken to someone there and they are hiring. We are looking for towns on the outskirts of this town of Tillamook. This Company is hiring much of the time actually. (and if not, we’re ok due to a back up plan) but I sorta have an "in" there.

Tillamook has a church I really like there, the main draw. Otherwise we'd head to Klamath Falls but the Air quality isn't as good and Hubby is on a CPAP machine to assist breathing at night. We love to Mtn Bike ride so we are looking for towns which are somewhat hilly, sunnier and especially, have tree cover near Tilamook but not terribly far from Hillsboro (if possible). We will inherit $$ within the next couple of years , 2-3 hundred thousand ...but he's having such bad breathing issues now. We live in the 3rd worst area of the entire US for Air Quality. He coughs ALOT. The California drought made things worse

Major limited money wiase. We have about 90-100 thousand dollars to spend on a house/manufactured home. I would come up first to rent a room and work, then he'd come up with our son. He works for Apple from home but might want to advance to another Tech company which means driving from Tillamook to Hillsboro area. His back up plan if Apple doesn't work out. He has a degree in exercise science so might go back to school at some point.
I've found Sheridan and Willamina towns which have homes within our range. Is it sunny in those towns? And within driving distance to both hillsboro and tillamook. My Hubby is a contractor so fixer uppers are perfectly fine. We'd have alot more money within a few years due to an inheritance but the air here is so bad now. Luckily it's finally rained, the drought means dust is everywhere. Sunnier= longer growing season so that is a plus as we love to grow our own food. He wants to do alot of fishing and learn how to crab and scuba dive. Surf maybe, amateur style

Thanks so much for any tidbits of advice you can offer. Here it is summed up-

1. Cheap towns under 100
2. Within 30 min or so from Tillamook (where my job would be)
3. Within 1 hr or so from Hillsboro
4. Sunnier, Hilly with lots of Trees.

Again, Klamath Falls fits perfectly but the AQI is really bad for some reason. So towns on the outskirts of Tilamook we seek

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-04-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
How does your husband tolerate rain, dampness, and cool wet weather?

You may not know this, but Tillamook is a coastal town, and Sheridan and Willamina are inland on the other side of Oregon' coastal mountain range.

Tillamook to Hillsboro will take you about 70 minutes (more or less) down a two lane, curvy, mountain highway (Highway 26).

I wouldn't recommend that as a daily commute.
It's not a easy commute, especially in the winter time.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Thank you. My husband does great in the rain, it's rained here two days and we haven't heard him cough like crazy. Good AQI finally but it's just a few days then the sun will be back.

Our son currently works from home now so the commute is only if he starts work in Hillsboro. I am afraid after so many years, working from home and his personality, he'll want to be around people. If so, he'll likely move to hillsboro and being in his twenties, marry and such.. as he wants. I am looking ahead to our commute to visit him. Bad days we won't drive it. So it would never be long term

Yes Tillamook is a Coastal town and the others are inland. We are looking at towns which are inland but homes not more than 100 thousand (fixer uppers great) and hopefully, have sunnier weather and more trees. I'd work in Tillamook and we'd go to church there. So far I've really only seen sheridan, gronde and willamina fit the bill. Thanks alot

Old 11-04-2015, 02:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
You're not going to find sun around Tillamook. As far as the other towns you've mentioned, they are also on the other side of the Coast Range. The distance from Tillamook to Sheridan is over 50 miles, and you'll have to drive over the mountain range.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
You keep mentioning "sunnier weather", but an Oregonians definition of sunny weather may greatly differ from yours.

Exactly how much sun do you need?
This part of Oregon isn't particularly known for it's sunny weather, other than summertime.

It can be pretty dreary for days on end.
Willamina averages 50 (or more) inches of rain a year (that's over four feet), with an average of 156 sunny days a year, and that doesn't mean it was sunny all day long.
Sheridan is probably very similar, and Tillamook is cloudier and much wetter.

You will find lots of trees, but warm, dry, and sunny all or most of the year ain't gonna happen, except for a few short months.
Sorry.

As far as houses go, you may get lucky.
There seems to be a few Willamina houses for sale in your price range if you aren't too picky, and are really willing to "fix them up".
In Tillamook, you are probably looking at a run down double wide outside of town.

Have you done any on-line searches as far as weather statistics or real estate?

If I have this straight, you are planning to live in a town like Willamina or Sheridan, commute to work and go to church in Tillamook, and meanwhile visit your son periodically in Hillsboro?
If so, I would just rent a small apartment or house in or around Hillsboro.

The rain comes from the west from the Pacific, dumps first over the coast and the western side of the mountains, then some more on the eastern side before it hits the Willamette valley.
You are going to spend most of your time driving on dark, windy, two lane roads over the coastal mountains in lousy, cold, rainy weather, with some snow and ice during the winter, and limited cell phone coverage.

You sure you want to do that?
You better have a very dependable and safe car.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-04-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 03:34 PM

36 posts, read 43,272 times
we have visited Tillamook many times.
Great cheese!!!
very pretty area.
but I don't remember ever seeing the sun shine there.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Thank you MpdxMikepdx. Interesting name, btw!

Right now I commute 45 minutes each way

Weekend shifts are Fri 2-3pm start thru Sunday 5-6pm

We would only drive to Tillamook on good days for church, then Friday & Sunday one way

I haven't done a search on weather statistics and towns, honestly probably didn't have good key words regarding this so I will use your key words. Thanks ALOT! I really like Oakridge but cannot determine the Aqi.

Sun concern is mainly to grow vegetables. We can buy them once a week though in the store if needed.

I am 35% Norwegian, and the rest is Cherokee & Chocotaw My.Husband is 50% Finish & 50% German

We do well in the cold weather. Kinda odd actually....
Keeping all of this open in case my son ends up in Hillsboro sometime... might be far fetched.
Trying stay in Tillamook mainly because I like the Church (Can work elsewhere) might not be enough either

I guess I'll go back to the drawing board and start over regarding my search. These are long drives for 2 days a week, sometimes 3.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
we have visited Tillamook many times.
Great cheese!!!
very pretty area.
but I don't remember ever seeing the sun shine there.
Yes I hear their ice cream is even better. We also want to take that self guided tour at the factory

Old 11-04-2015, 05:10 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't know if Tillamook has had a big real estate price increase. if not, I was looking there last summer and saw several manufactured homes on big lots, just outside of town that were under $100,000.

I like Garibaldi better, because it has that ocean / beach town feel to it. Tillamook isn't right on the ocean.

Tillamok ice cream is the best. They do a good job with sour cream and butter, also. All the cheese is good, but the black label extra aged white cheddar is really outstanding.

If you get inland about 10 miles, you should miss out on a lot of the fog.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Your best bet might be small communities like Gales Creek or Banks. From Gales Creek it's a straight shot to Tillamook on the Wilson River Highway, which is the river that runs through Tillamook. It's a good road. To find something in your budget, all you can do is go shopping. In Oregon you won't get much of a house for $100k but they are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon