Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 AM

686 posts, read 809,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
With an income between $100k and $120k, I think you can afford $7k in state income tax.

I'm sure they can afford the $7k state tax, but it is high and who wants to give a large sum of money to the state? Especially this one where they misuse funds on the dumbest things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I'm sure they can afford the $7k state tax, but it is high and who wants to give a large sum of money to the state? Especially this one where they misuse funds on the dumbest things.
What specifically would you like the state to quit spending money on? Health care? Education? Roads? The average income tax liability in Oregon is 6%. That's not "a large sum of money." That's pretty minimal. It puts Oregon's tax bill in the bottom third of all states.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,868,754 times
Quote:
What specifically would you like the state to quit spending money on? Health care? Education? Roads? The average income tax liability in Oregon is 6%. That's not "a large sum of money." That's pretty minimal. It puts Oregon's tax bill in the bottom third of all states.
Wrong Larry. This is a terribly managed state with high tax rate and high waste when compared to national averages.

A few stats as compiled by Oregon taxpayers Association.
1. $250 million wasted on Cover Oregon- remember those stupid commercials?
2. 2nd worst high school graduation rate in country.
3. 16th highest tax rate in country
4. 5th highest % of people in food stamps.

Further, from a moral issue - this states finances about 1000 abortions/year. That is TERRIBLE use of taxpayer $.

But hey - Portland has a mayor who will ensure no "carbon emitting" jobs exist in city and state is paying to $ to establish recreational marijuana management. So we got those things going for us.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 AM

213 posts, read 523,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I think it all depends on what you find value in. If you like outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, etc.... this will be a great place. Personally I am not a huge fan of Oregon. I am a transplant and have lived here 8 years. There are a lot of things I like, but the weather from Oct-June kills it for me. I have actually developed seasonal depression from living here.

Not all of Oregon experiences cloudy/overcast skies for months on end. The Central and Eastern part of the State receive about 300 days of sunshine a year. My suggestion, if possible, would be looking in to relocating to a sunnier part of the State.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Wrong Larry. This is a terribly managed state with high tax rate and high waste when compared to national averages.

Further, from a moral issue - this states finances about 1000 abortions/year. That is TERRIBLE use of taxpayer $.

But hey - Portland has a mayor who will ensure no "carbon emitting" jobs exist in city and state is paying to $ to establish recreational marijuana management. So we got those things going for us.

Exactly. Public schools are terrible. The roads and traffic patterns are terrible and way behind the needs of the current population. Oregon healthcare is a joke and so is the Oregon trail system. But hey, atleast we have statues and art to look at.

Last edited by Familyman6; 01-02-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
Not all of Oregon experiences cloudy/overcast skies for months on end. The Central and Eastern part of the State receive about 300 days of sunshine a year. My suggestion, if possible, would be looking in to relocating to a sunnier part of the State.

I agree 100%. I love central Oregon but it would require too much work travel.

Last edited by Familyman6; 01-02-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

1. The state is suing Oracle to recover the money. They promised but didn't deliver.
2. I think that's the fault of the parents, but it would be nice if they didn't have to short the school fund every biennium.
3. That has nothing to do with the state. That 16th highest is the combined state and local tax burden. Mostly it's people in the Portland area voting for bond levies. Property taxes where I live are about 20% of Portland rates, and my tax burden is 42nd out of 50 states. You're just pulling a number out of your ass and trying to pretend that it means something.
4. I take it you don't support food stamps? I don't see that as a negative, particularly since the funding comes from the feds and is a net economic engine for the state.

As for abortions, would you rather that women get amateur abortions? Your morality doesn't get to dictate public policy. I am old enough to remember before Roe vs. Wade, and remember college girls performing abortions on each other because they didn't have access to medical facilities. Moralizers are famous for deploring abortion until it comes time to adopt the unwanted children, or provide food stamps, clothing and subsidized housing to keep them off the streets. When the bill comes due they are off vacationing in the Bahamas.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 PM

780 posts, read 1,345,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRose View Post
I doubt the income tax is much higher than Iowa. Our top bracket is almost 9% and I think the property taxes might actually be lower in Oregon. I'd have to dig through some records to see what we paid in state income tax last year. For the small Iowa town we live in, we pay $1,200 a year in property taxes on a small house that is only about 900 sq. ft. On top of that we have a 7% sales tax, and a 3% locality tax on utility bills that is supposed to go to fixing the streets. Weather, taxes, and job opportunities are why we are looking at moving.
Not much, but the income tax in OR is higher than IA. As of 4-15-15, the highest income tax rate for OR was exactly 1.02% higher than Iowa's. I think you'll make out like a bandit when it comes to a lack of sales tax ( on anything here; with the exception of buying processed goods around Ashland ) and the job opportunities will be better ( if you're in Portland ) but the next recession that hits, you will feel it a *lot* stronger here, than you will in Iowa, I can guarantee that.

Oregon historically never has a strong, robust economy and even in good economic times, its state unemployment rate is usually above the national average. During the economic bust of 2008, Iowa rode through that really well; whereas we were almost worst in the nation ( thanks to NV and CA preventing us from hitting rock bottom. ) If you want to see how a state rides through rough times, look at that period from '08 to about 2012 ( before the recovery really started for most places ) and that will tell you quite a bit how well a state can ride through some of the worst of times.

As for the weather, just as long as you can put up with daily showers for about 9 months of the year, followed by hot, dry ( fire season ) for the next 3 months in a row, you should enjoy the weather. You don't have to shovel the rain, but it still gets down on you just the same.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 PM

780 posts, read 1,345,863 times
Quote:
1. The state is suing Oracle to recover the money. They promised but didn't deliver.
2. I think that's the fault of the parents, but it would be nice if they didn't have to short the school fund every biennium.
3. That has nothing to do with the state. That 16th highest is the combined state and local tax burden. Mostly it's people in the Portland area voting for bond levies. Property taxes where I live are about 20% of Portland rates, and my tax burden is 42nd out of 50 states. You're just pulling a number out of your ass and trying to pretend that it means something.
4. I take it you don't support food stamps? I don't see that as a negative, particularly since the funding comes from the feds and is a net economic engine for the state.

As for abortions, would you rather that women get amateur abortions? Your morality doesn't get to dictate public policy. I am old enough to remember before Roe vs. Wade, and remember college girls performing abortions on each other because they didn't have access to medical facilities. Moralizers are famous for deploring abortion until it comes time to adopt the unwanted children, or provide food stamps, clothing and subsidized housing to keep them off the streets. When the bill comes due they are off vacationing in the Bahamas.
Good points, Larry, especially the point about food stamps and abortion. I wonder if "ccjarider" shops at Wal-Mart ? ( the largest contributor to putting recipients on food stamps, in the country ) and with the number of Wal-Marts increasing within the state of OR, how much of OR being 5th highest in food stamps, comes directly from that?

Your response about the abortions hits the nail Right. On. The. Head. I am not trying to turn this into a political thread, or trying to accuse "ccjarider" of this themselves, but the moralizers when it comes to abortion seem to be against it in anyway whatsoever, then when the child is born, they just want it to be born, and that's it. They don't care if its going to be fed, housed, clothed, or educated. I think the terminology should be changed from "pro-life" to pro-birth, because that's all it goes beyond.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:35 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,868,754 times
Quote:

!. Are you actually claiming Oregon gov't stupidity has NOTHING to do with the Cover Oregon debacle?? The Oracle issue is about a web site only. Oracle was not responsible for the health care program, the STATE was. The STATE failed. THE STATE wasted millions.

2. Oregon school systems are generally, nationally ranked pretty low. Yes there are exceptions.
In general the state does not value education. On that there can be little doubt. It would be nice if marijuana mgmt and abortion money was redirected to higher value investment such as education.

3. Don't know where you live but I doubt very much your tax burden is 20% of another area of state. Most states do not operate with that large of a discrepancy. Seems like that is a number pulled from your ass. But if true - I guess you would be happy to donate more to the well run, Oregon state gov't.

4. Don't put words in my mouth - never said anything like you claim. The point of being 5th highest user in nation is indicative that something is wrong with this state. Further FEDS partner with states but $ comes from both. You tell us a lot about your thought process by claiming welfare programs are economic drivers. They are not.

5. You are acting as the moralizer. Stop the moralizing pompousness. I said nothing about the legality or illegality of abortion. I am challenging your statements that Oregon is a tax bargain. State gov't should not be in business pf paying for abortions. OR is one of only seventeen states that do. There is much better use of taxpayer money in this badly managed state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon