Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on what your use to. People that are from elsewhere and move to Oregon, are probably more annoyed by the gas thing. At least that is what I noticed when asking people in Oregon. People native to the state seemed to like, not having to pump their own gas. In fact I found some had no idea how to work a gas pump. I know when I lived in Oregon I did not like someone pumping my gas. I had always pumped my own before living in Portland. Fortunately I did not drive much there, so I would just drive over to Vancouver and fill up. That gas would last me 2 months, that's how little I drove.

I believe the only other state is New Jersey, unless that state has repealed the law.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Time spent? When I filled my own at ARCO in WA it took me longer than having someone else fill me at ARCO in OR. Here I just tell the attendant to fill it, then walk into the store to pay when full. Otherwise I need to go into the store to pre-pay, go out to fill, go back for change. Nuts!!
It's all about how you pay.

The time savings of self-serve comes when you use a credit card to pay. In that case, there's no waiting for an attendant; you just swipe your card and pump. It's in and out.

Pay cash and it becomes faster to have someone else pump it as you state.

Again--having grown up in Ore.--I prefer full serve after having experienced how nice it is, and after having had to pump my own gas in other states. But there are legitimate arguments for self serve.

Last edited by ormari; 12-23-2015 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You don't speak for the entire state. Regarding speed traps, yes agree they are dumb. I'm sure you disagree with that too.
I didn't speak for everyone, but I do speak for the majority because the majority in the state keeps voting to keep full service gas stations. And yes, I agree with speed traps because you shouldn't have been speeding in the first place, that is why you got trapped.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When driving through Oregon, I do my best not to stop for anything.

HAHA, can't pump your own gas....what a JOKE!
Your car must get amazing gas mileage if you don't need to stop for gas when driving through Oregon....

Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Responding to a post on CD does not mean someone HATES or as you put it "BOTHERED SOOOOOOOOOOO much by something that it truly affects their life.

Holy cow - people make a post - people comment - then some readers assume it is literally affecting the poster's mental and emotional well being.

Some people think having to wait for someone to pump gas is stupid and they comment on someone else post on same topic. It does not mean that they are going to move out of state because of it.

Using the same logic, a poster from out of state who loves the idea will not move here just for that reason.

This little CD playground does not reflect how people act, only how they anonymously opine on the internet.
I wouldn't be quite so sure about that. For the posting that is done here is reflective of the thought process, or lack thereof, of the poster. And, in fact, is one facet of how they act.

In this case, the OP raised a very legitimate point and asked a very legitimate question. It was met with snide remarks on the very first page and moved toward personal attacks rapidly thereafter. As I said previously, I received 2 negative rep comments as well because I supported the OP and I had never experienced that ever before at CD in over 8 years.

One hears a lot of commentary about Oregon having its own culture and how people up there are "different". None of this commentary is complimentary, but I take all hearsay with a grain of salt in the absence of my own corroborative experience. I can't help but take from this thread a small slice of credence lent to that commentary.

There is nothing unusual or troubling about people expressing a preference for "full service" at a gas station. And no one has suggested that those who like full service should be deprived of it, as long as there is a market for it.

What IS unusual and troubling is that those expressing a strong preference here for pumping their own gas and calling into question the lack of choice, the ludicrous "full-service" monopoly required by law, have been greeted by the online facsimile of an angry torch-carrying mob, hell bent on running and/or keeping them out of town.

That says a lot about the mindset and attitude common in this thread and is, at least to some small degree, indicative of how they will act. The remaining question is how widespread this attitude is statewide. The fact that this law has (apparently) been upheld a number of times unfortunately makes it difficult to dismiss this thread as an aberration.

Threads like these teach invaluable lessons about culture and attitude. And when making a major relocation decision, the culture and attitude of your potential new neighbors supersedes all other factors in importance.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
In this case, the OP raised a very legitimate point and asked a very legitimate question. It was met with snide remarks on the very first page...

Do you often rewrite history?

I see no snide remarks at all on the first page. The closest you could get would be where Oregonwoodsmoke wrote in post #4, "It's a good thing you decided to stay away from Oregon, since the gas stations upset you." However, I don't see that as snide since they were replying to the OP's comment of, "It was enough to remove OR from my list of candidate states when we were considering where to move."

If there was a snide remark made I'd say it was in post #1 made by Pikabike the OP when they wrote that they, "cringe when I see the methheads who often took our credit cards."

Posts 2, 3, 4 and 5 all politely gave their opinion.

Even you CrownVic95 were somewhat polite in your post on the first page. Although when you wrote, "I agree that this strange requirement is a big deterrent in a relocation comparison decision." might be considered a snide remark. But I wouldn't say that was really a snide remark.

Posts 7 & 8, both polite. No snide remarks.

In post 9 the OP does sorta make a snide remark but really nothing that bad. Again, I still wouldn't say it was snide remark.

Post 10 is fine. No snide remarks there either.

So CrownVic95, that's the entire 1st page. Where are the snide remarks you speak of?

It seems to me like you are seeing things that aren't really there.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I've been trying to word this in a polite and respectful way...

Please, get your gas and then go park in a designated parking spot if you need to go inside the store to buy stuff.

Because it can really hold up the line when you are out there waiting for a spot to get your gas, and there are these empty vehicles sitting there, their people inside the store. It may take you only a minute, or it may take longer, you never know.

It would be so much more polite and considerate to get your gas, then go park, so that others can pull their vehicles in more easily or even at all depending on how busy it is. And we all know that in one moment you might be the only car there getting gas, but it only takes two seconds for the place to fill up. Get the gas and then move your car out of the way so others can use the space it is intended for.

Please, and thank you.
That happens a lot here in the pump your own state of NC. Especially when the pumps are closer to the front door than the parking spots. Nothing pisses me more than seeing all four pump spots filled and nobody is pumping gas. That's a real time saver.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:59 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
There is nothing unusual or troubling about people expressing a preference for "full service" at a gas station. And no one has suggested that those who like full service should be deprived of it, as long as there is a market for it.
I suggested in an earlier post that the economics of fuel sales seem to dictate that to offer full serve, it be implemented for all. There is clearly a market for full service in Oregon based on voting history. And so the law is in place...

Quote:
What IS unusual and troubling is that those expressing a strong preference here for pumping their own gas and calling into question the lack of choice, the ludicrous "full-service" monopoly required by law, have been greeted by the online facsimile of an angry torch-carrying mob, hell bent on running and/or keeping them out of town.

That says a lot about the mindset and attitude common in this thread and is, at least to some small degree, indicative of how they will act. The remaining question is how widespread this attitude is statewide. The fact that this law has (apparently) been upheld a number of times unfortunately makes it difficult to dismiss this thread as an aberration.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. You can find "an angry torch-carrying mob" in every corner of City-Data.

Regardless, Oregonians are passionate about the state. And I can't think of one locality nationwide where locals desire outsiders to come in and tell them how to run the place. It's all about the tone: question the policy and understand the history? yes; tell them their rules are ludicrous and that they must change? no. People like to have final say over their own government, their own culture, and resent having outsiders tell them how to govern themselves. It's innate to American principles. Why should Oregonians be different in that regard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That happens a lot here in the pump your own state of NC. Especially when the pumps are closer to the front door than the parking spots. Nothing pisses me more than seeing all four pump spots filled and nobody is pumping gas. That's a real time saver.
Common courtesy is increasingly uncommon.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Your car must get amazing gas mileage if you don't need to stop for gas when driving through Oregon....
When I drive from Oakland to Seattle I fill up in Roseburg OR...

Otherwise I fill up in Weed California and drive straight through to Seattle...

Filling up in Oregon is optional

Old 12-24-2015, 11:33 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I didn't speak for everyone, but I do speak for the majority because the majority in the state keeps voting to keep full service gas stations.
When was the last time the issue was on the ballot?

1982. I think that was the only time it ever actually went to the polls.

I wonder what the vote would be today.

Younger Oregon voters strongly favor self-service gas pumps: Oregon politics today | OregonLive.com

I like self-serve gas, but there are plenty of indications that the majority of people in Oregon would vote to eliminate it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-24-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon