Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
So, when did they stop washing windshields, checking your fluids and tire pressure? Boy, that was when gas was really affordable. I kinda remember those days...it was a very long time ago...
Koale
Those days still exist, it just depends on the gas station and who is pumping your gas. Though whenever a gas attendant does something more than pump gas, I always tip them a few bucks.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
........... Though whenever a gas attendant does something more than pump gas, I always tip them a few bucks.
So do I. Usually a couple of bucks. They need it more than I do.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
This gets more fascinating by the hour.

For....failure to get on board and sing in harmony with the justifications for the silliness of being prohibited from pumping your own gas has generated emotions strong enough to result, for the first and only time in over 8 years, a rep with a negative comment in response to my post #37.

Quote:
I hope it works and you stay in Cali!
Harmless as it is, viewed along side the other viewpoints shared here, all I can say is WOW! I have been warned about Oregon. Better now than later.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
I live in New England but am from Oregon. Here in NE, it's hard to find a full service gas station, and essentially everyone pumps their own gas. To offer full serve, you have to have an attendant on staff to take care of that, but apparently the demand just isn't there to justify the attendant's wages when you offer both self-serve and full-serve. Self-serve becomes the only service level offered.

I will certainly grant that self service is faster, and there are times when I am visiting Oregon that I wish I could pump my own gas for that reason alone. And I admit that I dislike when an attendant tops up the tank once the pump has automatically stopped, particularly when they round it up to the nearest dollar on a credit card transaction, which is a little foolish.

The card number scam OP witnessed would give me pause, but I have to think that was an isolated incident.

However, if time is not a constraint, all in all I would prefer not to pump my own gas, or at least have a ready choice not to do so. Weather has been mentioned as a reason. You can bet that in our cold winters, I reflect fondly on the days when I could remain in my vehicle while someone was paid to do the job. At the end of pumping my own gas, invariably my hand ends up smelling like gas, or someone's awful cologne/perfume.

Regarding the comments of Oregonians not being accepting of those from other states/countries: yes, many Oregonians have a chip on their shoulder regarding the waves of people coming from other places. The influx has changed the state in dramatic ways, some for the better, some for the worse. But I haven't found the situation to be much different in New England, where no matter how long you live in the area, many natives will always view you as an outsider. At least in Oregon, people eventually accept non-natives into the fold.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
CrownVic, you really don't need to troll this forum and then get all uppity about the responses you receive.
Please go take a walk or watch TV or something.

You might think that the law is silly, but a lot of us appreciate that we don't have to pump our own gas.

BTW, gas here in Portland is a little over two bucks a gallon, plus we don't have to bother with pumping it.
Can you say that about California?........NO.

Also, for all your crowing about how silly this law is, I am sure California and the Bay Area have a lot more rules and laws that are sillier and more irritating (and expensive) than something as trite as pumping gas.

Please try and clean up your own house first before picking another states low hanging fruit.
I guess it's easier to pick on poor old Oregon.

Thank you.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This gets more fascinating by the hour.

For....failure to get on board and sing in harmony with the justifications for the silliness of being prohibited from pumping your own gas has generated emotions strong enough to result, for the first and only time in over 8 years, a rep with a negative comment in response to my post #37.

Harmless as it is, viewed along side the other viewpoints shared here, all I can say is WOW! I have been warned about Oregon. Better now than later.
You have a beef with Oregonians. Is it because you feel you haven't been treated well on a discussion board thread that has maybe 15 or 20 participants and therefore all of Oregon is at fault? Or is it because you think Oregonians are inferior because of one policy?

I crack up when I see people on C-D make sweeping generalizations about a location simply because of interactions with posters.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I live in New England but am from Oregon. Here in NE, it's hard to find a full service gas station, and essentially everyone pumps their own gas. To offer full serve, you have to have an attendant on staff to take care of that, but apparently the demand just isn't there to justify the attendant's wages when you offer both self-serve and full-serve. Self-serve becomes the only service level offered.

I will certainly grant that self service is faster, and there are times when I am visiting Oregon that I wish I could pump my own gas for that reason alone. And I admit that I dislike when an attendant tops up the tank once the pump has automatically stopped, particularly when they round it up to the nearest dollar on a credit card transaction, which is a little foolish.

The card number scam OP witnessed would give me pause, but I have to think that was an isolated incident.

However, if time is not a constraint, all in all I would prefer not to pump my own gas, or at least have a ready choice not to do so. Weather has been mentioned as a reason. You can bet that in our cold winters, I reflect fondly on the days when I could remain in my vehicle while someone was paid to do the job. At the end of pumping my own gas, invariably my hand ends up smelling like gas, or someone's awful cologne/perfume.

Regarding the comments of Oregonians not being accepting of those from other states/countries: yes, many Oregonians have a chip on their shoulder regarding the waves of people coming from other places. The influx has changed the state in dramatic ways, some for the better, some for the worse. But I haven't found the situation to be much different in New England, where no matter how long you live in the area, many natives will always view you as an outsider. At least in Oregon, people eventually accept non-natives into the fold.
Excellent post - thoughtful and sensible. Thank you for taking the time.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You have a beef with Oregonians. Is it because you feel you haven't been treated well on a discussion board thread that has maybe 15 or 20 participants and therefore all of Oregon is at fault? Or is it because you think Oregonians are inferior because of one policy?

I crack up when I see people on C-D make sweeping generalizations about a location simply because of interactions with posters.
Talk about sweeping generalizations. I said no such thing.

I have a beef with silly rules and the people who make and perpetuate them whenever and wherever I encounter them. Does that describe the typical Oregonian? I don't know....I'm just gathering information here.

In my post #37, I said "if representative of the Oregonian mindset generally". If you're trying to convince me that the shoe doesn't fit, I'd suggest you move to plan B.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I guess your are missing the point that it's your own personal opinion that the gas rule is silly, and that if the majority of Oregonians felt the same way you do, then that law would be changed.

I hope you are having your fun, because you really aren't accomplishing anything except for amusing yourself.

But if that's what trips your whistle...................keep wasting your time!

Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Talk about sweeping generalizations. I said no such thing.

I have a beef with silly rules and the people who make and perpetuate them whenever and wherever I encounter them. Does that describe the typical Oregonian? I don't know....I'm just gathering information here.

In my post #37, I said "if representative of the Oregonian mindset generally". If you're trying to convince me that the shoe doesn't fit, I'd suggest you move to plan B.
That is your opinion that this law is silly, those of us who live here and like the law do not consider it to be silly. I will always vote for full service stations because I like not having to pump gas, and I am all for the creation of those jobs, it is a great entry level job for people of all working ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon