Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
but this statement is just silly-just because someone doesn't wear makeup, or dresses simply means they aren't attractive??
Let me put it this way. Sit on the Westside (and I live in the Sunnyside area) at Washington Square or Bridgeport Village down in Tualatin/Lake O. The crowd is by and large attractive. I guess that is a yuppified part of town. Now, go to Trader Joe's in NE, or even Lloyd Center ...and yeah, baby, count all those Subarus in the lot...the crowd is not attractive. They just aren't. At Powell's Books, it's downright frightening. There is a large granola contingent there...and maybe I have my semantics wrong, doesn't granola ~ grunge ~ inked/pierced all kind of run together as kind of a mish-mosh? I can't be bothered to discern the 5-year gradations in the group labeling. Bottom line: they are not attractive because of that desire to look alternative. And, I'm sorry, if you take a girl or woman who has a pretty face and throw in Carol(e) King hair, a hemp dress and some Birks or industrial looking boots or hiking apparel, the overall look just isn't one that sends you burning with desire. For a clean-cut guy, regardless of political or religious leanings, that look just doesn't work for us. Not only that, granolas are also smug to those of us who look conservative and conventional, even though we might be educated and well-rounded. They like their "own kind" of which I don't want to be a part.

In short, for those of us who aren't like them or into them, "granola" is a put-down or, at a minimum, something to snicker about.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-06-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Eugene is Oregon's ultra granola burg. I read once that the NY Times described Eugene as "the last refuge of the terminally hip". Truer words were never spoken.

At least it keeps Eugene from being dull!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,715 times
In my opinion, any form of stereotyping or labeling of people, especially when done in such a deragotory manner, is unattractive.

When Robertpolyglot states, "In short, for those of us who aren't like them or into them, "granola" is a put-down or, at a minimum, something to snicker about," he failed to recognize the irony of that statement, and the likelihood that it made most of us snicker, either in disgust or dismay. His bigotry puts him into his own box, albeit a different one from the 'granola' box that he thinks he is superior to. But a limited narrow box just the same.

I'm sure he's quite smug... I mean SNUG, in that little box, all by himself.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Is the term 'granola' a put down or just another style/lifestyle like grunge, gothic, punker or hippie?

I lived through 'part' of the 60s as a young boy. During that time and after I think the term 'hippie' could be considered cool or used in a derogatory manner depending on how it was stated. Many older conservatives used to be hippies which is also kinda funny. Now that I am in my 40s I am definitely more conservative. But part of that is just a part of living and learning from dumb mistakes and being a wild rebellious teen.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-06-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
In my opinion, any form of stereotyping or labeling of people, especially when done in such a deragotory manner, is unattractive.

When Robertpolyglot states, "In short, for those of us who aren't like them or into them, "granola" is a put-down or, at a minimum, something to snicker about," he failed to recognize the irony of that statement, and the likelihood that it made most of us snicker, either in disgust or dismay. His bigotry puts him into his own box, albeit a different one from the 'granola' box that he thinks he is superior to. But a limited narrow box just the same.

I'm sure he's quite smug... I mean SNUG, in that little box, all by himself.
Oh, yes, I see, just what I would expect. I'm the farthest thing from being in a box. I have 2 Master's degrees in "different parts of the brain" professions. I speak 4 languages besides English. I have lived in 8 states, including irreverent L.A. and N.J. 9 miles west of NYC, and 1 foreign country, where I was taught in the local language (my parents are immigrants and working-class, yet their offspring is educated). I read and travel constantly, making friends with the locals in Europe or South America such that I am invited into their homes and asked to come back -- in their language. I drive a bland American car. I vote for people regardless of party affiliation because I can see the two sides of a coin. So, beyond a conservative veneer, I am more multi-faceted than you or most would think. I WORK very hard at trying to understand what's around me and can thus make compare-contrast types of judgments. (90% of the time, my perceptions are right and 10% of them time, they are wrong....works fine for me). Perhaps the biggest compliment ever paid to me was in grad school when someone said, "You know, you transcend categorization," ascertaining that there were different "patterns" of people in that graduate program. Also, another person said, "Man, if we had all your friends in one room, it would be sensory overload" because they are truly all over the map in personality, ethnicity, education, age, gender, and financial status. So back off, since you feel so qualified to attack me when I am commenting about a social phenomenon that has become part of the cultural landscape and an accepted term.

You know what? There are patterns. And they are observable. Take the Italians, for example. Southern Italians are not well received in Northern Italy in many cases. Why? Their educational attainment and economic "abilities" are lower. Many Southern Europeans, of all countries, are sort of looked down upon when they move up to Germany or Belgium or Scandinavia to work. They hang out amongst themselves as they are sort of marginalized. We have the same thing here, don't we? SAT scores in Mississippi are lower than they are in Massachusetts, hence there is some haughtiness in the most educated corner of our country when they refer to "the South."

Moving out of an apartment next to me last summer were 3 young ladies who were wrapping up doctorates. I asked them, "What did you study?" They said "Social Psychology." I asked, "You know, I get grief for stereotyping and making generalizations about groups. Isn't your field about making group inferences?" All of them nodded, kind of smiling, and said, "Oh, yes, there's often a lot of validity in stereotyping." Ka-ching. Ka-ching. Ka-ching.

Sir or 'Mam, I get tired, when I'm in a suit, of being treated with surly demeanor by a "granola" or facsimile thereof at a service establishment, yet when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, the service is just fine. They (the granola, the overly tattooed person, the pierced person, the ex-hippie, or whatever the hell they are called) are stereotyping ME based on my appearance. But I'll tell you what, I'd rather look, act and think like ME than like THEM.

So, how about you? Probably living in Ashland or other such hippy-dippy but quaint community, you come from "walk-on-eggshells" Scandinavian or Anglo stock, you are spiritual instead of religious because that's the way-cool thing to say in the last 5 years, you probably aren't very emotive, you rigidly vote Democrat even thought the candidate might be a "turd," and you might even drive a Subaru.

To those of us who like our conventional and productive lives, "granolas" are no-value-added and can actually be quite angry, hence their "on-the-sleeve" rebelliousness. And, in closing, if there is such a prevalent pattern that this term has been in existence for some 20 years, then there is some validity to the stereotyping, as the 3 young ladies wrapping up their PhDs indicated.

It's people like you, and the "granolas" of course, that make Oregon and Washington such a morose place to live, having to watch anything we say or think, even if it's cheeky and not particulary harmful. (I anticipate having a new job in the Sunbelt by summer). If we could only stock the place full of direct, uncensored, colorful and even slightly abrasive Brooklynites, for example, the Northwest would be a true paradise.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I lived through 'part' of the 60s as a young boy. During that time and after I think the term 'hippie' could be considered cool or used in a derogatory manner depending on how it was stated. Many older conservatives used to be hippies which is also kinda funny. Now that I am in my 40s I am definitely more conservative. But part of that is just a part of living and learning from dumb mistakes and being a wild rebellious teen.
I think I'm a lot more like you in this regard as opposed to the incendiary post trying to level me that came before yours....same demographic as well.

I think that people that graduated high school between the late 70s and the early 80s tend be somewhat well-rounded and eclectic, maybe "blended," because we sensed the extremes of the hippie movement before us and the excesses of the 80s me generation that followed us.

I am also appreciative that you are keeping a questioning and curious tone throughout the thread you authored instead of an accusatory one. Thank you.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-06-2008 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Well,

In a public forum like this people are going have different opinions, perspectives and world views. But everyone is entitled to share their unique opinion. While Robert stated that he finds granola types unattractive, I don't think that makes him a 'bad person' or bigot. Thats just his perspective and take on things which I take with a grain of salt. In the same way someone may find grunge or gothic styles unappealing even if they are/were the current rage.

After all doesn't being truly open minded allow for others freedom to express their opinion however divergent it might be from one's own?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
"Granola" can be used as a pejorative or just as an adjective. It will depend on the person and how it's used. I've heard earthies (another term for "granola") identify themselves as "granola". I've heard it used both ways.

The whole thing is truly a non-issue.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Subarus are the most popular car here in Alaska. It's because they work well here. I still wouldn't want to hit a moose with one; you really need something higher off the ground to survive a crash with a moose.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Subarus are the most popular car here in Alaska. It's because they work well here.
Yes. And Consumer Reports and their "dot" rating system likes them. In a harsh climate, they can be useful and their scale is easy to manage.

It's just that, when you couldn't spit without hitting one in a RAINY (not snowy) climate, and they are festooned with bumper stickers spouting political convictions, I'll pass.

Plus, someone has to support our American car makers. I looked at Consumer Reports and recently bought one of the better GM products. My last American car racked up 250,000 hassle free miles.

Moose are scary, indeed. I'd only seen them in the opening credits of "Northern Exposure." One ran across the Trans-Canada Highway as I was driving a rental car in Alberta in the summer of 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon