Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post

While I normally agree with Silverfall, the current cost of housing in Forest Grove (and I would wager Silverton) really not going to fly on minimum wage jobs.
Well if they rent a small 1-2 bedroom apartment, I think it would work. The hard part about small towns is finding rentals since there aren't a lot to begin with. I just checked and Silverton has two bedroom apartments for rent for $725 a month. Two people making minimum wage is around $38k a year so rent of $725-$800 is very doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 PM

41 posts, read 43,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well if they rent a small 1-2 bedroom apartment, I think it would work. The hard part about small towns is finding rentals since there aren't a lot to begin with. I just checked and Silverton has two bedroom apartments for rent for $725 a month. Two people making minimum wage is around $38k a year so rent of $725-$800 is very doable.
That is awesome. That definitely is doable! We don't have many bills and that will make it much easier to keep up with a rental when the time comes. Definitely a frugal couple - we like our simplicity (even in our belongings and bills! Hah.)

Thank you for checking that out!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHighLife View Post

So the travel conditions aren't always up to par? What is the winter like in Oregon or does it really just depend on the area you're in?
Travel conditions on Highway 58 between Oakridge and Eugene are almost always pretty good as far as weather. The problem is is that when it's bad -- it can be really bad, as in black ice and maybe a few stray snow days here and there. Still, I've seen winters that have had none of these problems. There's also a bus that runs between Oakridge and Springfield/Eugene that's actually a pretty good deal (I think it's $5 for a same-day round trip). To my knowledge, that bus has never had a wreck.

What I don't like about that highway is that it's a major truck route and is heavily used by people heading to the mountains for recreational purposes. Still, lots of people do the commute and find it worth it. I have friends who do that drive every day.

Part of the reason rentals are relatively inexpensive in Oakridge is that there's a glut of them on the market for a couple of different reasons. It was hit pretty hard by the downturn in the timber industry, so people moved away, and because they couldn't sell, they turned their property into rentals. It might be getting a bit better, but every time I visit, I still see lots of "For Rent" signs around.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Travel conditions on Highway 58 between Oakridge and Eugene are almost always pretty good as far as weather. The problem is is that when it's bad -- it can be really bad, as in black ice and maybe a few stray snow days here and there. Still, I've seen winters that have had none of these problems. There's also a bus that runs between Oakridge and Springfield/Eugene that's actually a pretty good deal (I think it's $5 for a same-day round trip). To my knowledge, that bus has never had a wreck.

What I don't like about that highway is that it's a major truck route and is heavily used by people heading to the mountains for recreational purposes. Still, lots of people do the commute and find it worth it. I have friends who do that drive every day.

Part of the reason rentals are relatively inexpensive in Oakridge is that there's a glut of them on the market for a couple of different reasons. It was hit pretty hard by the downturn in the timber industry, so people moved away, and because they couldn't sell, they turned their property into rentals. It might be getting a bit better, but every time I visit, I still see lots of "For Rent" signs around.
Ah, understandable. I'll definitely have to look into it. Is there a Union Pacific Hub in Oakridge too? My Father-in-law works for Union Pacific here in Missouri so it's common ground if so!

I know a lot of places that have fallen victim to the economy crisis before that have blossomed to become better than they were before the crash. I'll check more into Oakridge though! Thank you.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:45 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHighLife View Post
What exactly is Fred Meyer? I have never heard of that.

So the travel conditions aren't always up to par? What is the winter like in Oregon or does it really just depend on the area you're in?

I'll check into Cottage Grove and Creswell tho! Thank you!
Fred Meyer = northwest Kroger. Owned by the same company, carry many of the same products.

Maybe check out Junction City? It's close enough to Eugene and Corvallis that you could commute if necessary. Eugene does have an IMAX theater although it's not particularly impressive.

Lebanon gets you closer to the Cascades if you want outdoorsy things. You could commute to Albany/Corvallis/Salem.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fred Meyer = northwest Kroger. Owned by the same company, carry many of the same products.

Maybe check out Junction City? It's close enough to Eugene and Corvallis that you could commute if necessary. Eugene does have an IMAX theater although it's not particularly impressive.

Lebanon gets you closer to the Cascades if you want outdoorsy things. You could commute to Albany/Corvallis/Salem.
We don't have Kroger either, but I do know what Kroger is! Haha.

I'll definitely check into those suggestions. What's not so impressive about the Eugene IMAX? How much are movie tickets there? (not that it matters much - just curious.)

Thank you! I'll look into those areas now.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:54 PM

I know a few railroad workers in Oakridge, but I'm not sure what you mean by a Union Pacific Hub. There isn't a train station or anything. There's a good brew pub, though:

Brewers Union Local 180

Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I know a few railroad workers in Oakridge, but I'm not sure what you mean by a Union Pacific Hub. There isn't a train station or anything. There's a good brew pub, though:

Brewers Union Local 180
Haha, no it's not a train station. Union Pacific mostly just to haul freight. Here in our town is where they fix the train cars that have any damage. But they usually just haul things - not people.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post

I also really don't recommend relying on commuting from Oakridge to Eugene - 35 minutes is a pretty fast clip to make that run (70mph), which aside from netting you some tickets, isn't going to be safe in a lot of conditions.
That's not what I said. I said that Springfield, where the nearest Harley shop is located, could be done in around 35 minutes. I said nothing about driving all the way to Eugene in 35 minutes, and I wouldn't recommend it either -- however, I was stating a fact, which is that plenty of people make that commute and don't seem to mind. Although I suppose it would take longer if one went all the way to I-5, but those who know the area get off 58 at the Lowell exit and go into Springfield from there. The majority of that drive can easily be done at 65 mph, and you bypass the city traffic that way. I wouldn't count on doing a commute from Oakridge into Eugene proper in less than an hour.

Quote:
The closest Harley shop is in Springfield and is maybe a 35 minute drive.
The Harley shop I'm thinking about is right on Main Street in Springfield.

Anyway, OP, good luck finding your sweet spot. Oregon is full of them.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-20-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
That's not what I said. I said that Springfield, where the nearest Harley shop is located, could be done in around 35 minutes. I said nothing about driving to Eugene in 35 minutes, and I wouldn't recommend it either. Although I suppose it would take longer if one went all the way to i-5, but those who know the area get off 58 at the Lowell exit and go into Springfield from there.

Anyway, OP, good luck finding your sweet spot. Oregon is full of them.
Thank you! I sure hope so. Thank you for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon