Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 21,490 times

Advertisements

hello, a friend and i are planning on moving to the west coast this autumn. We're looking for a town/city in Oregon that is artsy, active, and not "sleepy." I've heard Portland is pretty artsy and funky, but how far is it from the ocean? I'd really love to be a bikeride away from the beach. Also, I'm hoping we can find a place for $700-ish/month... does this seem unlikely? Are there any affordable, hip, artsy beach towns in Oregon? Or Northern California for that matter? Or anywhere on the west coast for that matter? some city suggestions by locals would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 PM

18 posts, read 147,989 times
Default artsy beach town in Oregon

You will love Bandon by the Sea. Great little town full of artists and laid
back people. Good night life too.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

42 posts, read 191,864 times
Bandon, and Gold Beach are beautiful!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
A lot of the Oregon coast is more "wanna be artsy" than really "artsy". Also, many families leave the OR coast due to the extreme rain and that kids can't get out to play much. All that to say if you are going to move to the coast I agree that Bandon is terrific. However, drop the $750 thing for a decent apartment.

Now Newport has a very modern and growing community for artsy things. Still a bit behind the times and of lesser quality, but it is growing and would offer more affordable housing.

It's a tough call.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 25,736 times
Thumbs up Most Artzy

I would have to Yachats...

Small quaint little town... very homey.

Lots of little shops...

Gay friendly...

Right on the beach...

Sandwiched between two larger coastal towns.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
"Also, many families leave the OR coast due to the extreme rain and that kids can't get out to play much. "

Actually, I have to argue that. For one, I have 3 kids, and they are outside frequently. In fact, they have spent the entire weekend outside in jeans and tshirts having a ball.
I work with children, and so I see more of the actual flow of families. Its actually growing here in the Coos Bay/North Bend area, not shrinking. More families are moving IN, not OUT. And unless they require it to be 90degrees before going outside, theres plenty of outdoor days. Also many outdoor activites for them (As well as the adults!)
As for the rentals...its going to vary. We rented a place when we first moved here about 5yrs ago. 3bdrm duplex that took our dogs. It ran us 600.00month. We then rented a 4bdrm 2bath, 2500sqft house right on the bay, that in exchange for doing some rebuild work for the owners, we only paid 500.00month for it. Sometimes you can do some creative exchanges if you find the right owner. Oh, and my inlaws rent out a 1bdrm fully furnished cabin that is about 20ft back from a lake just out of florence, they pay for the basics and cable and charge 450.00month. Grant you, not every place is like that, some homes/apts are MUCH more than these, I just thougth Id let everyone know that the cheaper ones ARE out there.
Best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueNewyork View Post
I would have to Yachats...

Small quaint little town... very homey.

Lots of little shops...

Gay friendly...

Right on the beach...

Sandwiched between two larger coastal towns.
I love Yachats. Raindog is one of the best boutiques I have ever seen. Also, my dog, Sammy, gets along well with Raindog himself.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 AM

58 posts, read 297,950 times
Bandon is probably the most underrated beach town on the west coast.

Cannon Beach is exactly what your looking for except its SPENDY to purchase property there. I dont have any knowledge of the rental market.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:18 AM

11 posts, read 42,111 times
What kind of things are there for teenagers to do in or around bandon? What do the local teens do for fun?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
I vote for Bandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon