Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

54 posts, read 70,588 times

Advertisements

Late July I will be making my way from California through Oregon on the I-5 to visit family up in Seattle. However being from another state I don't know much about Oregon and wanted to ask if there were any interesting places to stop at on my way there. I am big on trying new foods, seeing museums, attractions and different parts of the state.

Next is where would good hotels or motels be at along the I-5? I would only be staying for one night as I will not be driving 11+ hours through Oregon, but want to avoid staying somewhere in a sketchy location. Being from CA I have good experiences at Motel 6, but wanted to get other peoples input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
There are some very nice hotels in Springfield (Eugene) just off I-5. Hotels.com is a great source for those.

As to museums, The Oregon Historical Society in downtown Portland is fantastic.

As for restaurants, Yelp is a good source as I have no idea what you like and what pricing you want.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland is in full swing in late July. The are doing Hamlet and A Winter's Tale this year. Get tickets now, if they are not already sold out.

Jacksonville, between Medford and Grants Pass hosts the Britt Festival every summer. It's an outdoor amphitheater that hosts great musical acts.

Home

Wildlife Safari near Winston is not far off of I-5.

Wildlife Safari - Winston Oregon

I think it's exit 119 and then about 4 miles west. There are also free concerts in Winston and Roseburg, Fridays in Winston and Tuesdays in Roseburg.

Riverbend Live - Free Concert | Winston, Oregon
Visit Roseburg Music on the Half Shell * BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY * - Visit Roseburg (I don't think they have announced the 2016 acts yet.)

The weekend after the 4th of July is the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, just west of Eugene, which is a once in a lifetime experience. The same weekend is Graffiti Weekend in Roseburg, which is a classic car cruise.

Oregon Country Fair
Graffiti Weekend - Umpqua Flatheads Car Club

That's all that comes to mind within spitting distance of I-5. Generally I recommend that people avoid freeways like the plague, because they are boring and oppressive, but you are just passing through.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
I prefer the Choice hotels, like Sleep Inn and Quality Inn. Better beds, and some have a free breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon