Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitherb View Post
That makes no sense. I grew up in rural Utah in one of the most conservative counties in the most conservative state in the US and literally no one had confederate flags. Even Utah knows that the confederacy sucks (sorry South). Oregon is almost as far as you can possibly get from the confederacy. It is just a way to express blatant racism? At least in southwest Virginia, where I am now, they at least have some legitimacy in saying that it's a representation regional ancestral southern heritage.
Actually there was a movement in southern Oregon/northern California to secede and start their own country, inspired by the Confederacy. During the Civil War Lincoln had more troops stationed out there as insurance. There were also a lot of confederate sympathizers in Oregon. Not a majority, but a very strong minority. The state was quite divisively split in the election of 1860 - Lincoln won by something like 1%. Joseph Lane, the governor at the time for whom Lane county is named, was one of them and sent his son to fight for the Confederacy. He was originally from North Carolina.

Is it a way to express blatant racism? I would say yes. I would also note that the 20th century Ku Klux Klan was popular in Oregon, especially the southern part. I expect Donald Trump to do very well in that area and I'll give you two guesses why. Think about it - this was good ol' boy timber country for 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. I grew up in rural Utah in one of the most conservative counties in the most conservative state in the US and literally no one had confederate flags. Even Utah knows that the confederacy sucks (sorry South). Oregon is almost as far as you can possibly get from the confederacy. It is just a way to express blatant racism? At least in southwest Virginia, where I am now, they at least have some legitimacy in saying that it's a representation regional ancestral southern heritage.
I haven't seen any confederate flags around. Maybe I just don't associate with that kind of people. There was a motorcycle rally down the road last weekend with about a 1000 person turnout, and not a confederate flag in sight. Our shortage of TV cameras is likely the problem. I'm sure if the cable news producers were here they would hand out plenty of confederate flags to photograph. It's against the law to report TV news without pissing somebody off.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Go ahead and run to Oregon. It will be great.

Consider living near Winchester, Or other small towns along river.

You will be well cared for and respected in the community, and it is very nice to have college nearby for extra culture and activities for the family.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,489 times
Quote:
So i have been offered a job in Roseburg at the VA Medical Center. Sort of a dream job for me. I have read a lot about Roseburg and never have I found an area with more enthusiastic disagreement in how people rate the city. Reviews range from describing Roseburg as a beautiful outdoor enthusiasts paradise with affordable cost of living, a charming main street, and a great place to raise a family all the way to people calling it a post apocalyptic hellscape of crime, meth, terrible schools, rampant unemployment, rednecks, confederate flags (in Oregon?? What?), crippling depression, and general human misery. Which is closer to the truth? Here is what is important to me:

The outdoors: I want to have easy access to hiking, running trails, swimming and boating, skiing, camping, fishing, and I want a place where I see something beautiful when I look out the window in the morning.

People: I am a social worker and and definitely lean to the left politically, but I don't feel a need to live somewhere where everyone agrees with me. Most of my family and friends are conservative. I just want to be in a place where I am treated respectfully when I do vote differently than my neighbors. I just hope politics aren't a big deal in the day to day life.

Schools: At least okay schools??? I know it's rural but some of the reviews of the schools in the area are terrible. Are there really 4 day school weeks?

Good restaurants, shops, fun places to go with my family. A sense of community that often comes in small towns. Community fairs, events, and gatherings, beautiful parks, friendly people (that's what small towns are for right?).

Will I be happy in Roseburg or should I run now with my life and sanity tact while I still have a chance, before I end up consumed by roving hoards of zombies? (okay, so I made the zombies part up, but still, the internet can be pretty mean to Roseburg).
Both the good and bad describe it perfectly. Very different place. Also if you have kids or are planning to, yes, the schools really are that bad. Not just in roseburg but in oregon in general. You can find good school districts in or, but it takes some hunting. That should be a huge factor in your decision. I think the longterm prospects are good as ca folks retire there and if the wine biz keeps growing. Property will increase in value and i think the town will grow. But your kids shouldnt have to wait around for good schools...

Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I haven't seen any confederate flags around. Maybe I just don't associate with that kind of people. There was a motorcycle rally down the road last weekend with about a 1000 person turnout, and not a confederate flag in sight. Our shortage of TV cameras is likely the problem. I'm sure if the cable news producers were here they would hand out plenty of confederate flags to photograph. It's against the law to report TV news without pissing somebody off.
(I see them, especially out riding the sand dunes where they think they can whoop-it-up and ride free. They probably aren't even locals but they're around.) OK, carry on.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
PNW Gal is correct, if you find out you don't like it, there isn't much more to go to. Although in your case, the VA has a super CBOC in Eugene.

I'm assuming anywhere in Virginia with a VA hospital is going to be a huge metro area, maybe one you're trying to escape? Roseburg would be a decent enough area to get away from all of that. However, the entirety of Oregon outside of Portland metro is largely a logging and agriculture economy. The left-wing powerbase of Oregon has largely won the war against jobs in those sectors, and Roseburg is one of their defeated areas.

My family has been in Oregon for decades and have seen the toll on the state. It's not a very up-beat place to be, and I guess it took me leaving to realize that, from the outside looking in. Where there were once loggers, there are meth heads. One in eight Oregon youth have or have had a parent incarcerated. Even in lightly populated areas, the social service system of the state is overrun with child welfare and foster care cases.

Anyhow, I think a trip to the area is definitely warranted to see if it's a good fit. It's not one of those areas that I could highly recommend to anyone.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 AM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
PNW Gal is correct, if you find out you don't like it, there isn't much more to go to. Although in your case, the VA has a super CBOC in Eugene.

I'm assuming anywhere in Virginia with a VA hospital is going to be a huge metro area, maybe one you're trying to escape? Roseburg would be a decent enough area to get away from all of that. However, the entirety of Oregon outside of Portland metro is largely a logging and agriculture economy. The left-wing powerbase of Oregon has largely won the war against jobs in those sectors, and Roseburg is one of their defeated areas.

My family has been in Oregon for decades and have seen the toll on the state. It's not a very up-beat place to be, and I guess it took me leaving to realize that, from the outside looking in. Where there were once loggers, there are meth heads. One in eight Oregon youth have or have had a parent incarcerated. Even in lightly populated areas, the social service system of the state is overrun with child welfare and foster care cases.

Anyhow, I think a trip to the area is definitely warranted to see if it's a good fit. It's not one of those areas that I could highly recommend to anyone.
Dave is right. It's the same depressed situation on the coast, and I've been here for 25 years. Votes 65% Democrat, much obesity and diabetes, poor schools, rampant government assistance.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:18 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Dave is right. It's the same depressed situation on the coast, and I've been here for 25 years. Votes 65% Democrat, much obesity and diabetes, poor schools, rampant government assistance.
That also describes every rural or community that votes gop as well. Not a blue or red thing. You should get out more often. Or at least research what you are talking about.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Don't blame the implosion of the woods products employment base on urban Oregon. Forces beyond our borders did that work. Blaming the reduction of the Spotted Owl population on tree harvest was bad science, they have been driven out of their habitat by other owl species that have migrated from the east.

Urban Oregon also suffered job losses from the woods products implosion.

Now we have naysayers claiming that the new wood fiber boards are made with 'old growth timber' - as if old growth trees are sacrosanct. Give me a break!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't blame the implosion of the woods products employment base on urban Oregon. Forces beyond our borders did that work. Blaming the reduction of the Spotted Owl population on tree harvest was bad science, they have been driven out of their habitat by other owl species that have migrated from the east.

Urban Oregon also suffered job losses from the woods products implosion.

Now we have naysayers claiming that the new wood fiber boards are made with 'old growth timber' - as if old growth trees are sacrosanct. Give me a break!

There is a lot of blame to pass around, both state and federal. But there is a lot that the state could do to increase production and it's not going to happen. Besides, what do you do with the trees once they're cut down? The mills are closing and once they're gone, they're gone. Transport costs aren't going down. I just flew over Albany last week, there's a big patch of dirt where Weyerhauser used to be. That was a big mill, and I knew folks that had good paying union jobs there. No mas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon