Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 22,736 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

My husband and I plan on relocating to Oregon May-2018. That being said, we'd like to rent for a year to get the lay of the land. Are there any neighborhoods/locations we should avoid in and around McMinnville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
What's your budget and why are you looking at McMinnville? Is this a retirement move or would one or both of you need to find jobs once you move?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM

HI patches - We will be retired. That being said, we're still rather young, 53 and 55. We fell in love with McMinnville and the downtown area a few years back. My husband is a chef and very knowledgeable about food and wine so he may pick up some part time work at a winery. Can't get a read on the rental market so not sure what the budget would be. Id' imagine for 2k a month or less we could find something nice until we figure out we we will put roots. What are your thoughts on McMinnville?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
You can get a good idea about rentals with Padmapper. You can setup email alerts with it also.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:52 PM

Great - Thank you Sherwoody!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
$2k will rent a pretty nice place in Mac. You also have the options of the small surrounding communties of Carlton, Amity and Dayton. Carlton has reinvented itself as a yupscale wine and cheese mecca.

The Horse Radish | Restaurant, Wine, Cheese & Live Music | Carlton, OR

Amity is more working class, but there are a lot of wineries nearby.

Wine Tasting in Amity, Oregon with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Dayton has also reinvented itself with wine country associations, and a couple of good restaurants.

The Joel Palmer House Restaurant
Historic Church Reopens as a Restaurant

Old 05-05-2016, 06:14 PM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangiaBeve View Post
HI patches - We will be retired. That being said, we're still rather young, 53 and 55. We fell in love with McMinnville and the downtown area a few years back. My husband is a chef and very knowledgeable about food and wine so he may pick up some part time work at a winery. Can't get a read on the rental market so not sure what the budget would be. Id' imagine for 2k a month or less we could find something nice until we figure out we we will put roots. What are your thoughts on McMinnville?
You made a very good choice... enjoy. Not sure about bad areas but ive heard there is some gang activity in region... though i never saw anyone like that? I remember a murder a few years ago that was a big deal as things like that just dont happen that often. The rooftop bar at McMenamins is heaven on a sunny day. I also like the mexican market in lafayette and some of the restaurants and the bookstore in newberg.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangiaBeve View Post
I really like McMinnville and the surrounding towns and think you would be very happy living in any of them. It's a beautiful area and it has a great location - far enough away from metro Portland so you mostly forget you live near a big city but close enough for you to easily get into Portland for medical care, shopping, airport, etc.

One issue with the McMinnville area for many people is that the availability of local high paying jobs is limited (unless they want to commute 1 to 1.5 hrs each way), but not an issue for you since you'll both be mostly retired. Another issue is that it's also got relatively expensive real estate for a more rural area because of its proximity to Portland and because of the wine industry.

2k a month won't get you a mansion but it should get you a nice enough SFH. I'm not super familiar with the neighborhoods of McMinnville but to my knowledge there aren't really any bad areas to absolutely avoid. It's great that you're renting for awhile first as that will give you time to explore the area and get a better idea of the town/neighborhood that you like best.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:25 AM

197 posts, read 261,111 times
Not sure what everyone is looking at but the rental market in the Portland and surrounding area is terrible! $2k will not get you a very nice rental house. Mostly outdated crapshacks from
what Ive seen. There is very little for sale that's worth the inflated prices that area is asking. It's a lovely place. For sure. Maybe realtor.com is a bad source for finding rentals but on that site there is hardly anything.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Patches403, boulder2015 and Larry Caldwell - Thank you for all the tips/advice.

I have also heard some good things about Dundee. We're a bit torn as to whether we want to live within walking distance of downtown....or....a place a bit away from it all. Our backyard here in the Shenandoah Valley is our little sanctuary. We have a beautiful arbor covered with Wisteria and Trumpet Vine and herb gardens around etc. Bird watching....wine consumption.....and food is our way of life. Don't want to be on a main drag. We love Nicks, Thistle and Recipie.

Must haves: Gas Cooking, Internet access. It's a bit crazy to plan from so far away. I am very grateful for all the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon