Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease to begin May 3rd at a house managed by a property management company. 15 minutes before I was to meet her to pick up keys and begin the move I received a call from the agent. She asked me to wait because the carpet cleaners had called to tell her that the previous tenants had not moved out yet. After a series of phone calls over several hours (while my roommate and I had all our belongings packed in cars and trucks and friends waiting around to help us move) she stated we would not be able to move in and that they would need to go through the eviction process with the previous tenants which could take until the end of May if not longer. They stated they would pay for storage and offered to let us rent a one bedroom vacant property which was not an option as there were three of us. They refused to pay for a hotel for me, so now I am couch surfing living out of a small suitcase since my other clothes were packed up. I had my mail already forwarded there and by the time I tried to change it, several days had passed so mail was sent to the house with the previous tenants living there. Over the next few days we did not hear from them or have our calls to them returned. After several days I was able to contact the agent to tell her I would send the receipt for storage. According to her there is now a check in the mail for storage and our deposit check to hold until there is a firm move in day.
Today as I was on my way to and from appointments to view other houses (we didn't feel like we could wait around for a vague move in date) I passed the house we were supposed to move in to and saw a box on the front stoop that looked like my meal delivery subscription box. I went up to the house and saw that it had my name on it and knocked on the door to request my mail. The tenant gave me my mail, saying she had been calling the property manager that she had it with no response. When I asked what was going on with the move out, she said she had an active lease until May 30. She then showed me the lease and the email she had written giving notice which clearly stated they would move out May 30. She stated she had talked to the property manager days before I received a call, when the cleaners tried to enter their home.
The property manager has lied to me and my roommates, stating they were consulting a lawyer about eviction when the current tenants are living there legally and paid rent. Even if it was an honest mistake of overlapping our leases (which I find hard to believe), they were aware of the fact we'd be unable to move in several days before they told us. As a result I have limited clothing, toiletries, and work supplies as I packed with the intention of unpacking immediately. They are agreeing to pay storage, but I feel like this is not enough of compensation for the inconvenience and total upheaval of my life caused completely by their either careless or malicious fault. Can anyone advise if there is a valid case against them and what the outcome might be?
Sorry this post is so long, I've been in rant mode for days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I suggest that you find something else to rent.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:26 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Find another place to rent and try to obtain contact information for the tenant in the house.

After you have taken care of your immediate housing needs consider whether or not you have enough evidence to merit a case in small claims court.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Find another place to rent and try to obtain contact information for the tenant in the house.

After you have taken care of your immediate housing needs consider whether or not you have enough evidence to merit a case in small claims court.
Once again, Nell has the correct advice.

You don't want to wait around to rent that house anyway for a couple of reasons. 1) You now have very clear indications that the property management company is, at best, incompetent and at worst, liars. 2) If you want to pursue any legal action against them, living in their property would be uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon