Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Chubby’s in Waldport.
Hmmmmm, I will have to try that. I love new burger joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Your father needs to start with his current skill set. What is it? Why does he want to start a business? Is he insane? Sorry; I was sort of trying to be funny there, but also, I've seen a lot of businesses come and go in Oregon.

My medium-sized business is located in Alaska, which perhaps offers a bit more of a business-friendly environment than Oregon (however, similar businesses exist in Oregon that are also doing quite well). That said, I'd be embarrassed to pay minimum wage and actually find there are economic benefits in not doing so. But I need people who can produce, not just bodies behind a cash register (a tangent for another day; just a response to an earlier comment).

if I were going to start a business in Oregon (although I'd rather pound sand), I'd look into something serving the aging boomer population. I know that's not romantic or cool, but that's where the opportunities seem to be right now. I wouldn't advise just moving to Oregon and starting a business, though -- your father should move first, find a community he likes, and take it from there.
Bingo. Eldercare is a booming and stable market. You need certifications, which keep every Tom, Dick, and Harry from competing, but the certs are easy to come by at a dozen community colleges around the state.

The great thing about regulation is that it keeps the price up by narrowing competition. It actually makes regulated businesses more profitable. There are always dummies who can't manage to research the requirements and meet them. They whine and moan about how "business hostile" government is, but if they weren't total morons they could be doing very well.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
I always think the Sign Man's Business does a killing here. For all the businesses going out, a new one tries their luck at it and takes it's place and....there is the Sign Man.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Bingo. Eldercare is a booming and stable market. You need certifications, which keep every Tom, Dick, and Harry from competing, but the certs are easy to come by at a dozen community colleges around the state.

The great thing about regulation is that it keeps the price up by narrowing competition. It actually makes regulated businesses more profitable. There are always dummies who can't manage to research the requirements and meet them. They whine and moan about how "business hostile" government is, but if they weren't total morons they could be doing very well.
The other one that cracks me up is people who complain about $50-100 differences in bus licence and fictitious name costs then label a place "unfriendly to business". Seriously if that is a killer for you, you probably shouldnt be starting your own business.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM

197 posts, read 261,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Anyone hear of Hwy 101 Burgers in Lincoln City? I know the owner. He was looking for a business to start and had never run one. So he decided to copy In & Out Burger business plan. Just burgers/fries/soda. Fresh and local meat... He's made a killing.
Yeah not sure why other's haven't hopped on that gravy train! It amazes me not only how basic I/O's menu is but literally everything about the place is basic. Nothing fancy or over the top. Now compare and contrast it with say a Sonic etc. Flashy, fancy, hard to read menus etc. Not sure why no one up in Oregon has not opened up a 100% grass fed fast food burger joint. I know off the top of my head several suppliers. This would be huge in the Portland area. Not just organic but 100% grass fed sourced locally and not just a local burger joint but actually a fast food type burger joint. Combine the efficiency of an I/O's with the quality of locally sourced grass fed beef that tastes good! Endless money making potential!

I'm surprised Oregon is so anti-small business? I mean the place has become like the foodie capital of the USA now. Aren't most of those mom and pop type restaurants? I guess Portland is very small restaurant friendly just not business? lol..........ok. It seems like Oregon will protect all the stupid uncompetitive type small businesses like bookstores, coffee shops etc. But I dare someone opens up a REAL tech, industrial, manufacturing type business and they have to fight every regulation/bureaucracy known to man. That must be what is meant by anti-small business. I.e. anything that produces ACTUAL good paying jobs!

For me, I'm going to open up a SJW staffing agency. You need people to fill a protest? Man a sit in, fill up an audience? No problem, we can even disguise them to look the part! LOL.......we can turn a conservative white blue eyed blonde into a liberal, foaming at the mouth black lives matter protester in 24hrs! Rachel Dolezal has nothing on us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon