Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, the ocean around Vancouver, BC is warm enough for swimming, albeit a bit chilly. On the Oregon coast, just rent a wet suit. There's quite a bit of surfing on the Oregon coast with protective gear.

As for pleasant beaches, the wind direction makes all the difference in the world. An offshore wind makes beaches warm and pleasant. Onshore wind is the same temp as the water, and pretty chilly. No wind at all is pretty rare, but can be nice. Short Sands is open to the south but sheltered from the north by Cape Falcon. Some of the deeper coves in your area might be sheltered enough to be pleasant. I think you are starting to understand why Oregonians don't "go to the beach," we "go to the coast."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Some folks go swimming at Ten Mile Lake, by Lakeside...

Tenmile Lakes at Lakeside Oregon Coast ten mile lake

&

The RV ResortRV Camping, Cabins, Boat Slips on Beautiful Tenmile Lakes, Oregon Coast

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...e%2C+Oregon%3F

Have a Wonderful Time.

Drive Safely.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:01 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Check out some of the Tide Pools north towards Newport or south of Florence in Bandon. She can dip her toes in the water there.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oddly enough, the ocean around Vancouver, BC is warm enough for swimming, albeit a bit chilly.
So is the Oregon Coast, if you are into that type of thing. I have seen people swim without wet suits on most of the Oregon Beaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geD0jHuC6b0

Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Freshwater swimming happens at Cleawox or Wohahink Lakes. It would be silly to drive out of town to do that when those lakes are amazing. Like others have said, the ocean is cold anywhere along the PNW. My boys go often in the summer, still. We usually go to one of the South Jetty lots or Mary Ponsler Wayside north of town (one of the easiest ways to get on the beach).

Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 AM

55 posts, read 66,521 times
Haha...Yes Larry...I understand now why it's go to "Ocean" not "Beach" I have been to many wonderful places to stop for a stroll and soak up all the beauty! Although she doesn't have trouble walking she has some issues with her hip so I have to be careful as to which place we stop so she can get down and up ok! I am also taking her to Reedsport to elk viewing..it is beautiful out there!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:12 PM

219 posts, read 313,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So is the Oregon Coast, if you are into that type of thing. I have seen people swim without wet suits on most of the Oregon Beaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geD0jHuC6b0
The area between Vancouver Island and the mainland has the warmest water temps north of Mexico during the summer. Desolation sound and a couple of the other areas run 75-80F. So, warmer than San Diego actually.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
The area between Vancouver Island and the mainland has the warmest water temps north of Mexico during the summer. Desolation sound and a couple of the other areas run 75-80F. So, warmer than San Diego actually.
Interesting but right now the water temp in Vancouver BC is 48°F. I believe the entire Oregon coast stays in the 50s year round.

This link says the average high water temp for Vancouver is 52°F in August and September. I believe that is at best about the same as the Oregon Coast.

Vancouver average sea temperature

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM

219 posts, read 313,352 times
Vancouver, the San Juans and the Gulf Islands stay right around that temperature (50ish) all year. Oddly, as you go further north into the inside passage, temps in the summer get considerably warmer do to upwelling, river outflow, shallow depths and limited tidal exchange. Desolation and Pendrell sounds are a couple of the better known areas where you can take advantage of this geographical oddity. This is a well known and well understood phenomenon. The temperature off the coast of Oregon doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I don't know if you could plan a vacation months ahead of time in any given summer and count on 70+ water temperatures during that week, but in many years the water in those areas is warmer than anything south to basically Ensenada.

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 06-29-2016 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon