Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 100,549 times

Advertisements

Hello to Florence residents past and present. I have a question: My husband and I are considering a move to Florence. We are very familiar with it as my mom lived there for a while and we spent considerable time visiting her, including subsequent trips after she left, just because we enjoy it. For a little background info on us: We are retired, in our 60's, and physically active and healthy. What I'm wondering is why, when I look up clubs and groups to join on websites such as Meetup, there is almost nothing listed? I was under the impression that Florence is a retirement destination, but there seems to be almost no groups or clubs in the area. I am talking, say, groups for people with interests such as writing, photography, food and wine social groups, book clubs, etc. I see one or two for hiking and kayaking, but that's it.
Any idea why that may be? I see lots in Eugene or further up the coast, but I don't fancy driving an hour for a social group.
Any input on this would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,586,083 times
I suspect it's a combination of geography and demographics. Elsewhere on the coast you have towns that are anchors for the surrounding towns that make them effectively larger than they really are.

The Newport-Lincoln City stretch, for example, while made up of discrete towns, is kind of a collective area where stuff happens. Florence isn't that much smaller than Newport, on its own, but it's a tinier anchor.

Florence also skews old - no offense. The median age in Florence at the last census was 57 - the median age in Newport is 43. Lest you think "great! More 60 year olds to do stuff with!" anecdotally most of the retirees I know there are more in the 70-85 range and not out hiking. Some of that median difference, sure, is that Newport also has more families with kids, so without pulling up the detailed census data I can't say for sure, but my impression is that, by Florence retiree standards, you're fairly young and there's a lot of much older folks moving that median dial as well.

Florence does attract some retirees to move there, sure, but I've never perceived it as a "retirement destination" in the same way that Ashland, or Eugene, or even Astoria is. There's really not much there there - it's an old blue collar town learning to survive as a tourist town, with all the fits and starts thereof. And a lot of the old-timers are retirees from blue collar days, not foodies relocated from the big city, etc.

Just my opinion and a smidge of data.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM

32,491 posts, read 47,436,183 times
The clubs are there, just not advertised on Craigslist. I suggest that you start with the local library. Some of the club meetings will be posted on their bulletin board and the librarian might know of some. Artistic events and book club sorts of things will be posted at the library.

Club meetings are often in the town newsletter-- I get mine included in my water bill. Try the town's webpage for a schedule of events.

Go and volunteer at a few outings and someone there will know of other group meetings. Walking clubs are a good place to start. Volunteer trail maintenance clubs are a good place to start.

Just a suggestion, keep an eye on the Yachats calendar of events becasue Yachats does some amazingly good events, considering how tiny the town is. The event calendar is online.

Go hang out at the senior center. Club meetings and events will be posted on their bulletin board. The community Center will have meetings and events posted on their bulletin boards.

If you can't find what you want, start a club yourself. I belong to The Retro Road Gypsies. Our fearless leader looked around one day and said, "Look at all the PT Cruisers in the area" and she started a club for PT Cruisers and HHR's. We do road rallies and picnics and other events and it is a great group of people who you would have thought had nothing in common but the brand of car we bought. We get along great.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,326,066 times
You can go to wine and beer tasting every Friday at Homegrown.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,736 times
There are a ton of events and such going on, they just aren't on MeetUp and the like.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Thanks very much to all of you. I really appreciate the input.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:39 PM

Just a quick note to Oregonwoodsmoke: I took your advice and checked out Yachats events calendar. I was very impressed! There is an amazing amount of things going on there, so thanks again for that suggestion.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:20 PM

2,425 posts, read 3,513,171 times
The wind blows 20+ mph all year long (stronger on the beach) with a few days it is calm. Not much to do in Florence and the surrounding towns offer even less. You will be going to Eugene on a regular basis. Just Fred's and a Safeway here. There is no Summer here. Temps in the Summer peak at 70F. Unusual to see temps above the low 70s and most of the time, they are in the upper 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon