Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:55 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times

Advertisements

Larry you are funny, all though the trucker do that, but I don't think they are gallon jugs. The gallon jugs you see going over Canyon Creek Pass are place there by ODOT, the grade over this pass is seven miles long and does cause problems with some vehicles, mostly the ones pulling trailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM

55 posts, read 66,521 times
It may seem not to be to high to most but for me coming from Illinois also known as "flat lands" it is high. I totally freaked out when driving on I-5 down by Grants Pass a camper switched into my lane as we were going up in elevation and I had to brake then thought I would never get back up speed to make it up. I don't have any intention of going over towards Bend area just yet..I want to be more comfortable. I would love to go see Painted Hills but I think that will have to wait. I really haven't been North of Eugene, when I drove out here the last day coming into Oregon I was tired and just wanted to get to Florence so I didn't site see. When we flew out here last year we flew into Portland but time didn't allow to putter around there either. There is a place my son and I saw last year down by Glide, it was a huge open land and it was beautiful but I can't remember what the name of it was, I was thinking "big back yard?" I would love to find that area again!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
It probably didn't have a name, but there is a nice ranch right along 138 with attractive barns and fences. There isn't much field farming in Douglas County because of minimal crop land. It's mostly timber or hay/pasture, with produce operations along the rivers where they can get water. Almost all the crop land is in the Willamette Valley, or along the Columbia, where once again, they can get water. Water rights are fiercely held and fiercely contested. There's a saying in the West: "Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting."

It's a shame you don't trust your car. Almost everything worth seeing in Oregon is off the beaten path.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM

55 posts, read 66,521 times
I know Larry, it really sucks that I have lost all faith in my car, it is a 2012 Chevy cruze and it is a nice car however, I am not sure it is best for here in Oregon. I went to check out some other cars after we got here and I took my car in to have it looked at and the guy didn't find anything wrong with it but I am not working yet and I don't want a car payment or spend savings for car. I am guessing my next car will be a 6cyl though lol. It is one thing for me to go out exploring I don't worry about myself as much as being stranded with my sons in the car. I am sure I will adapt to the elevation in time, i remember after getting here and driving 101 from Florence to Yachats the first time I was like "hell no we aren't leaving Florence again!" but after doing it a few times I am much better even though I would think my fear of driving off the road into the ocean would be more terrifying than my car rolling backwards because it can't make it up an elevation but for some reason the elevation freaks me out lol. It is an adjustment living here and I wouldn't trade it for anything I feel as though I am blessed to have made my dream of moving here a reality! I will look through and see If I can find some pics I took down by Glide and maybe someone will recognize the area.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:07 PM

329 posts, read 470,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Those are dropped off by truckers and are filled with urine.
OMG I just busted a gut laughing so hard... ewwwwwwww...

Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
There are no roads in Oregon that should affect your car in any way due to elevation. Trust me I have driven 14000 mountains. At most your car will lose 18% of its horsepower at 6000 ft. It should still perform just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon