Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 PM

55 posts, read 66,521 times

Advertisements

Good evening I am back to ask yet another question lol..I have received so much info on here and I hope you know I truly appreciate it! One thing I am having trouble with is driving in elevation and driving through passes...on our trip out here I had spark plugs blow in South Dakota so 4hrs and $400.00 later we were back on our way, I am grateful it happened in Rapid City and early afternoon on Saturday since it was over memorial weekend if I hadn't gotten it in we would have been stranded until the following Tuesday. however, now when we drive in higher elevations or through passes I have anxiety. I am so afraid the car won't make it up the hill and leave us stranded somewhere I know it sounds crazy but traveling with 2 kids in the car breaking down on the side of the road is a stress point. My oldest wants to site see but he is only 14 so I have to drive, I want to go experience the beauty of Oregon but don't want to wander into an area that might freak me out with high elevation and high passes. I have been trying to find some sort of map online that will show area up close. I have an atlas and can see some of the mountain points but I don't know if the road running by it is mildly higher or much higher? I drive a 2012 chevy cruze 4cyl if this info matters? I would love a link to a website or any kind of info so I can figure out when trying plan a trip.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
This might help you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sses_in_Oregon

Old 07-20-2016, 03:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrineRose View Post
Good evening I am back to ask yet another question lol..I have received so much info on here and I hope you know I truly appreciate it! One thing I am having trouble with is driving in elevation and driving through passes...on our trip out here I had spark plugs blow in South Dakota so 4hrs and $400.00 later we were back on our way, I am grateful it happened in Rapid City and early afternoon on Saturday since it was over memorial weekend if I hadn't gotten it in we would have been stranded until the following Tuesday. however, now when we drive in higher elevations or through passes I have anxiety. I am so afraid the car won't make it up the hill and leave us stranded somewhere I know it sounds crazy but traveling with 2 kids in the car breaking down on the side of the road is a stress point. My oldest wants to site see but he is only 14 so I have to drive, I want to go experience the beauty of Oregon but don't want to wander into an area that might freak me out with high elevation and high passes. I have been trying to find some sort of map online that will show area up close. I have an atlas and can see some of the mountain points but I don't know if the road running by it is mildly higher or much higher? I drive a 2012 chevy cruze 4cyl if this info matters? I would love a link to a website or any kind of info so I can figure out when trying plan a trip.
Thanks in advance
Suggestion: Stay on the coast. Highway 101 is all under 1,000 feet. Except for about three or four points, it’s all under 500 feet. That’s the lowest elevation you are going to find anywhere in Oregon.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What the heck does it mean your spark plugs blew? Did you get a vapor lock? I can't think of anything that involves replacing spark plugs that would cost $400 (well, it does on my cargo van, but the spark plugs are so inaccessible that you almost have to pull the engine to reach them).

Did you not get your car serviced before leaving on a long trip? Oil change, fluid check, tune-up? Check your tire pressure?

If your spark plugs blew up for $400, I susopect you got scammed.

I suggest that you go to the automotive forum right here on City Data and tell them what the car did and what it says on your receipt that the mechanic gave you for $400. If it was a vapor lock (which can happen to low elevation cars at high elevations) they will tell you how to fix it yourself, for free.

If you know what happened and how to fix it, you can stop worrying about the mountain passes.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Yes, she got scammed. I have had the core of a spark plug blow. It's very noisy, but has nothing to do with the car or the engine, it's just a defective spark plug. At the most, it's a $20 fix. It's a very rare occurrence and unlikely to ever happen again. It certainly shouldn't change her driving habits.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM

Yes, had oil changed, new tires put on the car, new air filter and new plugs put in on the morning I left which was Thursday..drove car and I noticed it was lagging but I thought it was because I had all the extra weight on car. Saturday when we were driving in the badlands the car began to jerk when going up inclines but it wasn't all the time but when we were heading to Mt. Rushmore going up pretty big hill car jerked and engine ligy ht came on so I pulled into area where there were a couple guys on motorcycles trying to stay out of rain none seemed willing to help me so i made a phone call to friend who got me the number to Meineke got it in there and said I needed 4 new plugs and some other iridscent thingy cant remember what it was called but total was 404.00 but at that point I am several states from anyone I know so it wasn't worth it to argue. Needless to say I got to Oregon and I had my car looked at by a guy here in town that came very recommended and he can't find anything wrong with it now. I am just glad it happened during a day the shop was open and it wasn't out in the middle of nowhere

Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM

play time is running out for me..we are moving into our permanent home (for the next year anyways) in about 3weeks. I will then have to begin the job hunt (uggh!) I want to take my kids to see more of Oregon's beauty before I have to go back to the real world, I know my fear of going through passes and high elevation will really limit my choices but if anyone has a must see place please share! My oldest LOVES Glide area, we have drove down there and puttered around a bit a couple times. I would be coming from Florence area doesn't matter if it is north or south but would like to find something we could do in a day so I am not paying for hotel expenses. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Oregon doesn't have any really high passes, nothing remotely like the Rockies. Most of the passes across the Cascades on the major highways are in the 5,000 ft elevation range which is lower elevation than Albuquerque or Denver.

With a less than reliable car I think your bigger worry would be getting stranded in a remote location. Which is pretty much anything in the eastern 2/3 of Oregon outside the vicinity of Bend.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Question -- Are the plastic gallon jugs filled with water alongside of I-5 around Canyonville Area placed there for overheating vehicles? I've always wondered and assumed. Coastie here.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Question -- Are the plastic gallon jugs filled with water alongside of I-5 around Canyonville Area placed there for overheating vehicles? I've always wondered and assumed. Coastie here.
Those are dropped off by truckers and are filled with urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon