Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM

346 posts, read 2,136,865 times

Advertisements

The gas pumping I mean. In California, of course we pump our own gas but I know that it is illegal to do so in Oregon. So my question is, do we still need to get out of our car and pay either at the pump or inside at the counter or does the gas station attendant come to the window of your car and take payment there? I'm visiting Oregon in 3 weeks and I want to make sure I do it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM

180 posts, read 581,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
The gas pumping I mean. In California, of course we pump our own gas but I know that it is illegal to do so in Oregon. So my question is, do we still need to get out of our car and pay either at the pump or inside at the counter or does the gas station attendant come to the window of your car and take payment there? I'm visiting Oregon in 3 weeks and I want to make sure I do it right!
Yes they come take your money and pump your gas. It is quite nice in the winter. I prefer it to that other way.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM

694 posts, read 2,645,887 times
What's the protocol for tipping ?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,837,719 times
You don't usually tip the gas attendent. I suppose if you wanted to then you could but people just don't do that often.
Since I don't live in a real big city it could be different there. Here when you pull up to the gas pumps the attendent will come to your car and you tell him what kind of gas you want.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,223,227 times
You remain seated in your car until the attendant comes to your window then you say - Cash/Fill it up/Unleaded/then give him/her your discount card if you have one. As for tipping, I usually let them just keep the coin change.

Last edited by seashelly; 11-27-2006 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: forgot something :)

Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 AM

Great thanks you guys! That's very helpful. Now what if you are used to paying with your credit/debit card? Do they take cards also? That's the way most people do it in California. I hadn't even thought of tipping but I'm glad that was brought up!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,026,275 times
almost all will take your card. - usually thats either the 1st or 2nd question - "cash or card?" -- a few places you do have to get out of your car and pay, but I think about 80% you just hand the attendent your $$ or card.
You might feel weird at first if youre not used to it, but you'll do fine. I think its awesome and shows what kind of person you are that youre asking questions about the "right way" to do something that is pretty unique to Oregon.
I hope you have a terrific visit and that you find all youre looking for!
btw, what parts are you visiting? and what route are you coming up?
Tiff

Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 PM

180 posts, read 581,106 times
Arco's almost never take cards. Cash only. Also high ethonol gas so it isnt good for performance motors.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Good to know! Thanks for the kind words Tiff. I'll just carry cash for the gas stations then to make it easier. Thanks to all who answered. The main place I'll be visiting is Eugene. I'll be staying with friends there but I plan to stop off in Ashland and also go up and spend a day or two in Portland. I wanted to go to the coast too but there just isn't enough time. I'll be driving up the 5. I think that's the only way I can go that is most direct.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,506,796 times
Default That's a long drive!

Be sure to stop a lot and stretch your legs. I drove from L.A. to Reno, stayed in Reno a couple of days, and then drove from Reno to Salem (!) in one day, while also driving through Lassen National Park. It was beautiful, even though it added some time to my trip. I think the forests of northern California and southern Oregon are beautiful; I just hope you don't encounter any storms! Be sure to carry chains in case you do.

By the way, on my way back, the drive from Salem to L.A. was so long that I stopped overnight in Corning, a little town towards the top of the Sacramento Valley. It's apparently the olive capital of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon