Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM

123 posts, read 210,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Also no jobs there. The OP would be commuting to Bend, Redmond or somewhere around.
Why would I need to commute to those areas? I can live in any city. I work remotely. By the way, everyone, it doesn't have to be dirt cheap like $250. Just good place to stay for the money. $500-$600 is total after utilities is definitely a good bargain for me. But if I can get away with cheaper than that, by all means please do say. I don't want to be way out in the woods, as I would need good internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
The OP works remotely and therefore won't be commuting.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP works remotely and therefore won't be commuting.
Right. My other option is Las Vegas. Very modern rooms for $500-$600 with private baths. And plenty to choose from. I like the climate of Oregon better, though. Not the snow areas like Baker City.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
Why would I need to commute to those areas? I can live in any city. I work remotely. By the way, everyone, it doesn't have to be dirt cheap like $250. Just good place to stay for the money. $500-$600 is total after utilities is definitely a good bargain for me. But if I can get away with cheaper than that, by all means please do say. I don't want to be way out in the woods, as I would need good internet.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the remote work.

I guess in that case, it comes down to what kind of community you want. Prineville is a rural area cowtown, "real America" type of place. I actually kind of like it, but my wife would go crazy there.

I see some Prineville apartments going for about $750.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:16 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,747 times
Prineville is 34 miles Northeast of Bend, a bit east of Redmond. (google says 40-50minute drive from Bend)
Quiet, pleasant little Rancher town and it also hosts a major Server Farm or two. (Facebook maybe?) In fact they have runs ads for many months trying to get a tech worker to live there doing maintenance on the server farm.

I would think they would have decent internet with a server farm in town, but life is funny. I am guessing Bend Broad Band would be your internet provider, if they provide service that far out. Note you have to get cable TV to avoid data caps. We now have cable TV for the first time in our lives, even though we don't watch it, just to avoid a data cap. (we are in Bend)

Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Prineville has both Prinetime Internet, which is excellent internet, and Crestview Cable, which offers both excellent cable TV and cable internet. I wouldn't use Bend cable, not that they aren't good, but they are considerably more expensive

Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Baker City. You can get decent small apartment for what it would cost to rent a room in these other places.

Baker (city) That was my first thought. Might be a bit of culture shock. Then Salem for cost.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Baker (city) That was my first thought. Might be a bit of culture shock. Then Salem for cost.
I would try Salem.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the latest replies. There does seem to be a majority count here on Salem. Is that where I should go then? I need to know soon. Prineville seems a bit out of the way and I'd have to base myself in Bend. I also don't see a lot of listings for private rooms there on craigslist.

Let's not forget Springfield. Someone else said Springfield and Salem are "best bang for buck." Which one wins, though? With Springfield I'd have access to Eugene. Which is a better overall area to live in? I'd mostly be spending my time self-studying, but it would be nice to get out here and there.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:15 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
Thanks for the latest replies. There does seem to be a majority count here on Salem. Is that where I should go then? I need to know soon. Prineville seems a bit out of the way and I'd have to base myself in Bend. I also don't see a lot of listings for private rooms there on craigslist.

Let's not forget Springfield. Someone else said Springfield and Salem are "best bang for buck." Which one wins, though? With Springfield I'd have access to Eugene. Which is a better overall area to live in? I'd mostly be spending my time self-studying, but it would be nice to get out here and there.
It depends on what kind of culture you like. Eugene is more granola, bohemian-esque. Salem is more traditional city, slow pace although we are having a Cannabis festival this weekend here.

What do you like to do when you aren't working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon