U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 01:45 PM

22,683 posts, read 30,763,662 times

Advertisements

I think the hostel in Eugene rents rooms by the month during the off season for a fairly reasonable. You might think about starting there and making local contacts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 09:45 PM

44 posts, read 73,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
I like to go for walks, photograph people (when I'm involved in community theater like I once was). I love movies and wanted to get involved in classes in LA, but I'm leaving there and headed up to Oregon because I honestly can't find anywhere in CA where the rent is really low except in the desert area. The idea is to spend so little on rent, to work less on what I do now and gain newer skills in web development so that I can return to LA with a secondary income source. In LA, it does seem like you need two income sources to survive there. Not unless you want to hustle it and wait tables, and other odd jobs. That's not good for the long term, though.
Thinking way outside your box. Why not stay in the suburbs of LA? I actually am renting a room out in my Rancho Cucamonga home for $450.00 mo. utilities included, with 60MB high speed internet. Less than you are looking to spend in Oregon, and you don't have to leave the area you intend to return to. There are many rooms for rent in the LA suburbs.

I have a place for rent in Selma, Oregon also. But there's no internet there as yet.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:26 PM

123 posts, read 181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
you need to "network' to find rooms for rent in homes, very risk to advertise on CL.

look to churches, senior centers, community clubs...and of course... ask around.

If you are willing to take care of lawn / plants / or do cleaning, you are likely to find a senior couple who will trade room for help.

Look into house-/ pet / plant / farm-sitting, I have a few friends doing that (especially ez to find during PNW winter. )

How do you find these kind of places? The house/pet/plant farm sitting? I do wonder if these kinds of places are way out in the wild with poor internet. I do need to spend my days studying with good internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think the hostel in Eugene rents rooms by the month during the off season for a fairly reasonable. You might think about starting there and making local contacts.
Thanks, I'll look into it. As long as the room is private and has a desk/computer chair or allows added furniture. Do you happen to know the specific name of the youth hostel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsocal View Post
Thinking way outside your box. Why not stay in the suburbs of LA? I actually am renting a room out in my Rancho Cucamonga home for $450.00 mo. utilities included, with 60MB high speed internet.
How safe is that area? Is it still available?

Old 11-05-2016, 07:40 PM

One more thing, what do you guys think of this list here:

Best Cities for Reners in Oregon? Salem and Springfield are way down on the list. Ashland gets top pick.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,174,949 times
Quote:
One more thing, what do you guys think of this list here:

Best Cities for Reners in Oregon? Salem and Springfield are way down on the list. Ashland gets top pick.
Looking at the local craigslist, I see a couple rooms in your budget, but in general Ashland is not a good city for renters as the vacancy rate is actually lower than Portland's and about on par with Bend's, which makes that website's statement that it's good for renters kind of odd. (I don't know where they got their numbers, but Ashland's actual rental vacancy rate is about 1.5%, Medford's is about 2.5%.) It is a very small town with a fairly high percentage of college students (Southern Oregon University), many of whom live off campus.

Look more toward Talent and Phoenix. Medford has some nice areas but also some dicey areas, look east of I5 and south of McAndrews.

The nice part about Ashland is that you can be pretty much walking distance to a lot of things, although transit in the Rogue Valley is extremely limited. Also the city of Ashland has the Ashland fiber network, so good internet is generally available everywhere.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Look more toward Talent and Phoenix. Medford has some nice areas but also some dicey areas, look east of I5 and south of McAndrews.

The nice part about Ashland is that you can be pretty much walking distance to a lot of things, although transit in the Rogue Valley is extremely limited. Also the city of Ashland has the Ashland fiber network, so good internet is generally available everywhere.
Thank you. What I want most is as one of you stated earlier "best bang for buck" and reliable and stable inernet. And enough listings to have a choice and not have so much competition like here in LA where response rate is pretty low to number of ads I respond to. I said I'll pay $500-600, but really if I can find something nice even lower I'll take it. But not if I've got to live with three other roommates especially if they are college students.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 PM

329 posts, read 385,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsocal View Post
Thinking way outside your box. Why not stay in the suburbs of LA? I actually am renting a room out in my Rancho Cucamonga home for $450.00 mo. utilities included, with 60MB high speed internet.
How safe is that area? Is it still available?
If you can get this, grab it... Rancho is an awesome area and that is a great rental price♥

Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 PM

22,683 posts, read 30,763,662 times
Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into it. As long as the room is private and has a desk/computer chair or allows added furniture. Do you happen to know the specific name of the youth hostel?

Eugene Whiteaker International Hostels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon