Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 14,498 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate information about living in Dallas. I have a job set up in downtown Salem and need to move to a good community outside of the big city.
Two children for school, 4th and 10th grades.
I do not mind a commute and from the looks it is about 20 mins into Salem.
I have read threads about Dallas but look for insight of someone living there.

Area to live in that is good? East, south etc.
Looking at apartments or rental until settled. We like small town life and this is
A step up but not too big from what we are familiar with.

Location looks good. Weather? Summers sunny? Warm? 4 seasons.

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 09:22 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Location is good, reasonable drive to Salem, Portland, or the ocean. Head south towards Peedee and Kings Valley for excellent hiking and some good fishing. Shopping and hospital are good in Salem.

Dallas is a typical farm community. My son went to high school there and the ciriculum includes real life skills like balancing a budget and some vocational skills. My son learned welding. That was years ago, though, so the schools might have changed.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Location is good, reasonable drive to Salem, Portland, or the ocean. Head south towards Peedee and Kings Valley for excellent hiking and some good fishing. Shopping and hospital are good in Salem.

Dallas is a typical farm community. My son went to high school there and the ciriculum includes real life skills like balancing a budget and some vocational skills. My son learned welding. That was years ago, though, so the schools might have changed.
Thank you for the info. It does help. Sounds like a place that we would like. .

Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Dallas is too small to have any really bad parts in my opinion. There are poorer neighborhoods, but I wouldn't call them bad. The neighborhood by the aquatic center (River Gleann) is really nice. Look for streets Barberry, Cynthia, Heather, etc. It is near a really nice neighborhood park, the aquatic center and the middle school.

Farther north is Fairhaven, Meadowhaven and Cynthian Oaks. Look for Fairhaven, Hillcrest, etc in northern Dallas. There is a neighborhood park there.

Bridlewood Equestrian Estates (not horse properties, normal homes) is a nice area in southwest Dallas. It is kind of off by itself though. Look for the wood streets, Laurelwood, Bridlewood, Maplewood, etc. They have condos in there that you might be able to rent.

If old houses are your thing, the neighborhoods west/southwest of downtown have some really nicely restored old homes. Hayter, Leven, Clay, etc.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
The fly in the ointment is the Center Street Bridge across the Willamette in Salem. There is a daily traffic jam, and if there is an accident you will be late to work. In really bad conditions, you can get across the river at Independence. River Road is twisty and frightens people, so oddly enough, traffic is better by that route. You end up a few blocks south of downtown Salem.

Besides Dallas you could also consider Monmouth or Independence. Both of them are small towns, and Monmouth is a college town.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 PM

329 posts, read 470,113 times
Quote:
Besides Dallas you could also consider Monmouth or Independence. Both of them are small towns, and Monmouth is a college town.
We were traveling all over Oregon beginning of July to look where we wanted to move to. We happen to drive through Independence on 4th of July.. It was kinda like being in the Twilight Zone because no matter where we turned, we had road blocks for the parade.. We were trapped..
We laugh about it now...LOL

Old 10-29-2016, 09:38 PM

Thanks to all posting so far. I appreciate the info.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:37 AM

Found Victoria Place Apts. any reviews or info about the apts?
We would like to rent for a while prior to looking to buy and this appears to be close to schools, close to aquatic center, clean. Good location.
Spoke with management already but seeking input.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:15 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Lived there for awhile, really nice community. Not too far of commute. It's been a long time so not sure about the schools but they were good when we were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon