U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,629,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, it's too bad rural internet is so dismal. If I had to video conference I just couldn't do it. I tried once to download a movie from Amazon and they gave my money back without even being asked. I eventually got to watch it, but it took 6 hours to buffer the whole thing.
Yep, when I had to do an internet re-certification program I had to drive to town every day for 2 weeks and rent an office to get fast enough internet to use GoToMeeting or Skype. CenturyLink and I went 'round and 'round over internet (they promised 2Gb, but it was usually around 700k) at the house. Annoying, because the main fiber cable on that side of the Cascades was less than a mile from the house. And it wasn't just speed, there was a horrible latency problem. About 6 months before we moved, Blue Sky and Hughes started offering satellite internet but the cap was about 4 movies a month's worth.

After we moved over to this side, I had 100Gb for a couple months just because I could and then dropped it to something more reasonable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM

3,029 posts, read 1,332,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and...The Beaver State ranked as the worst place to retire, according to Bankrate.com.
Oregon got dinged for its cost of living (37th), below-average temperature and hospital bed availability, as well as its above-average tax and crime rates.
Worst States To Retire: Oregon, Alaska, Washington, California, Wisconsin At Bottom Of Study | The Huffington Post

But out of 50 states listed Oregon was #26 which was not the worst by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,208,764 times
For the last several years we have used Frontier for our internet service. Before that we could only get dial- up here on the mountain, for about 20 years.

We mostly use the computer for surfing favorite websites, email, Amazon prime video movies. Once in a while an Amazon Prime free (with membership) movie will be slow at times, but most of the time it's fine. We have watched 100's of movies on Amazon Prime, without a problem...

Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
For the last several years we have used Frontier for our internet service. Before that we could only get dial- up here on the mountain, for about 20 years.

We mostly use the computer for surfing favorite websites, email, Amazon prime video movies. Once in a while an Amazon Prime free (with membership) movie will be slow at times, but most of the time it's fine. We have watched 100's of movies on Amazon Prime, without a problem...
Is Frontier a satellite internet company? I've never used that kind before. I'm looking into Baker City, but haven't gotten into the internet companies yet. I'm just toying with the idea of moving there at this point, and researching online. I got used to small town living, and Baker City was tempting when I stopped there overnight Sept 25, and walked around the next morning. Beautiful setting, friendly people, and has all that I need plus a slower pace. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:39 AM

4,252 posts, read 6,461,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
............ I'm looking into Baker City, but haven't gotten into the internet companies yet. ...............
Baker City has Charter Spectrum cable Internet 60Mbps and CenturyLink DSL which is much slower.

I use Spectrum and in actual use get more than 60Mbps.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Baker City has Charter Spectrum cable Internet 60Mbps and CenturyLink DSL which is much slower.

Thank you Karl for the useful information. I will save your post for future reference . Do they limit your use? I spend hours online every day, but don't watch tv. I guess too much of anything isn't good, lol.

Your town reminds me a little of Colorado with it's mining history, and the beautiful surrounding mountains. I love the old buildings, and you even have a small skyline, how cute. I never got to see the actual rest of the town when I stayed at the Rodeway Inn, only walked around the surrounding neighborhoods, and went in the Safeway, talking to folks. So I was pleasantly surprised to see more of it online when I started researching. Glad to see you have some runners out there when I saw the Turkey Trot 5k for the homeless. And the YMCA for working out. On my initial walk a nice lady even invited me to visit their church, but I had to continue on my journey. But I wanted to stay, and felt drawn there. Here are several photos for the curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_...mainstreet.jpg

https://otis-storage.s3.amazonaws.co...akerCityOR.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/118078821450385028/

Old 11-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Is Frontier a satellite internet company? I've never used that kind before. I'm looking into Baker City, but haven't gotten into the internet companies yet. I'm just toying with the idea of moving there at this point, and researching online. I got used to small town living, and Baker City was tempting when I stopped there overnight Sept 25, and walked around the next morning. Beautiful setting, friendly people, and has all that I need plus a slower pace. Thanks.
Frontier is the company which provides us our landline phone service (not satellite) & internet service.
They list the speed as 100.0 Mbps. I don't know if it's always this speed on our internet service but it's enough for our needs out in the country, here.

Have a Great Day...

Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM

9,128 posts, read 3,838,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I agree that Charter is good. But the problem I see with them, is that since they were given the green light to create their nationwide duopoly with Comcast they have started raising their rates $5.00 a month every year to pay for their merger. Some are predicting that it will start going up by $10.00 every year. Unfortunately for me I have a limited budget to pay for internet, and at some point in the future it will become too expensive for me.

Also that 60 Mbps speed is supposed to be 100 Mbps. That is what Charter claims their base speed is. Who is actually getting 100 Mbps? I don't know anyone. So they are not even delivering the promised speed. At least when I had AT&T DSL, which sucked, but atleast they would deliver a speed increase with each rate increase. They always had offers to double the speed for $5.00 a month extra. Which I would take, because I needed the speed. But Charter doesn't improve anything. They just raise the rates and I don't see they will have any incentive to improve anything in the near future.

The future does not look bright for internet service in this country.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM

9,128 posts, read 3,838,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Frontier is the company which provides us our landline phone service (not satellite) & internet service.
They list the speed as 100.0 Mbps. I don't know if it's always this speed on our internet service but it's enough for our needs out in the country, here.

Have a Great Day...
Charter lists their base speed as 100 Mbps, but I get 65 Mbps.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Charter lists their base speed as 100 Mbps, but I get 65 Mbps.
Whatever the speed really is, at least we can usually stream movies on Amazon Prime without a problem. This gives us some entertainment...

All the years that only dial-up was available we could receive very little & very slooow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon