Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Frontier is the company which provides us our landline phone service (not satellite) & internet service.
They list the speed as 100.0 Mbps. I don't know if it's always this speed on our internet service but it's enough for our needs out in the country, here.

Have a Great Day...
Thank you Hawk J, I appreciate your info. Is 100 Mbps fast enough for streaming music, and Youtube? I always have music going when on the puter. That is as far as my multi tasking goes . I'm sure I would lose my mind if I had to listen to the music on just the radio, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Whatever the speed really is, at least we can usually stream movies on Amazon Prime without a problem. This gives us some entertainment...

All the years that only dial-up was available we could receive very little & very slooow.
As I said I agree the service is good, for now. Just expect it to get a lot more expensive and don't expect to get much more from Charter.

The other problem is Charter's 5 Mbps upload speed. It takes me an hour and a half to upload a 10 minute HD video. And that will never change even if they do increase the download speed a little bit.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree that Charter is good. But the problem I see with them, is that since they were given the green light to create their nationwide duopoly with Comcast they have started raising their rates $5.00 a month every year to pay for their merger. Some are predicting that it will start going up by $10.00 every year. Unfortunately for me I have a limited budget to pay for internet, and at some point in the future it will become too expensive for me.

Also that 60 Mbps speed is supposed to be 100 Mbps. That is what Charter claims their base speed is. Who is actually getting 100 Mbps? I don't know anyone. So they are not even delivering the promised speed. At least when I had AT&T DSL, which sucked, but atleast they would deliver a speed increase with each rate increase. They always had offers to double the speed for $5.00 a month extra. Which I would take, because I needed the speed. But Charter doesn't improve anything. They just raise the rates and I don't see they will have any incentive to improve anything in the near future.

The future does not look bright for internet service in this country.
Oh ugh, I had Comcast in the Denver metro area, and hated it. When it came time to turn in the equipment when we moved out of state they used to have a relatively convenient place to drop it off. But of course they closed that one. The phone CS guy sent us way out to some weird address, but that wasn't even open, there was a sign, and we had to go to another place to turn the junk in. Thank God we had a car. You'd think with all the money they make they could do things right. Too bad Comcast is involved with Charter . Oh well, what can ya do. They also had umpteen different charges on each bill for this, and that even if all you had was internet. It was always changing. I'm on a fixed income too so I know what you mean about worrying that it may get too expensive. But it's my entertainment, and lifeline .

Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Whatever the speed really is, at least we can usually stream movies on Amazon Prime without a problem. This gives us some entertainment...

All the years that only dial-up was available we could receive very little & very slooow.

How very depressing it used to be. So what you have now while not perfect is at least a big improvement.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thank you Hawk J, I appreciate your info. Is 100 Mbps fast enough for streaming music, and Youtube? I always have music going when on the puter. That is as far as my multi tasking goes . I'm sure I would lose my mind if I had to listen to the music on just the radio, lol.
The problem is that 100 Mbps is the maximum possible speed, and is probably only available in very few places. As I said in my other post, Charter's advertized base speed is 100 Mbps, but they are not delivering anything close to that.

There is really no way of knowing if the service will be fast enough for streaming music and Youtube, until you try it. I would hope that they are at least enough fast for streaming music and YouTube.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The problem is that 100 Mbps is the maximum possible speed, and is probably only available in very few places. As I said in my other post, Charter's advertized base speed is 100 Mbps, but they are not delivering anything close to that.

There is really no way of knowing if the service will be fast enough for streaming music and Youtube, until you try it. I would hope that they are at least enough fast for streaming music and YouTube.
Thanks Cloudy Dayz, Yeah, and that is just the primitive basic requirement for internet funz. Waiting to try it out, and not having it work would be dreadful since there would be no alternative.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh ugh, I had Comcast in the Denver metro area, and hated it. When it came time to turn in the equipment when we moved out of state they used to have a relatively convenient place to drop it off. But of course they closed that one. The phone CS guy sent us way out to some weird address, but that wasn't even open, there was a sign, and we had to go to another place to turn the junk in. Thank God we had a car. You'd think with all the money they make they could do things right. Too bad Comcast is involved with Charter . Oh well, what can ya do. They also had umpteen different charges on each bill for this, and that even if all you had was internet. It was always changing. I'm on a fixed income too so I know what you mean about worrying that it may get too expensive. But it's my entertainment, and lifeline .
I think you will find Charter to be way better than Comcast. I never even tried Comcast when I had the option. I heard way too many bad things about them. Honestly I have very few issues with Charter. Except for their rate increases, and lack of promised speed improvements.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I think you will find Charter to be way better than Comcast. I never even tried Comcast when I had the option. I heard way too many bad things about them. Honestly I have very few issues with Charter. Except for their rate increases, and lack of promised speed improvements.
Let's hope that Comcast's bad manners won't corrupt Charter. Although their rate increases without the promised speed improvements isn't too encouraging.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I get Frontier DSL and on a good day I get 1.2 mbps down, 56k up. If anybody else is on the party line, it drops to about 850 kbps down, 17k up.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I get Frontier DSL and on a good day I get 1.2 mbps down, 56k up. If anybody else is on the party line, it drops to about 850 kbps down, 17k up.
Thanks Larry. Does the drop in speed have any noticeable impact on what you do online? What if there is a third party online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon