U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:38 PM

652 posts, read 721,945 times

Advertisements

So I just did a Spectrum speed test: 46mbps down, 6mbps up. Considering getting Netflix movies through my Roku. Will those speeds allow me to get a good movie stream, even HD movies?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,638,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
So I just did a Spectrum speed test: 46mbps down, 6mbps up. Considering getting Netflix movies through my Roku. Will those speeds allow me to get a good movie stream, even HD movies?
Also depends on latency, but generally a 46mip download is good enough. At my house I pay for 40, usually get 60 or 70 and everything EXCEPT the DirecTV box streams with no problem at all. Dunno what the problem with it is, but the FireStick streams Amazon Prime and Netflix without problem.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,466,000 times
Quote:
That should be more than adequate, even for HD.

Back when I had 8Mbps DSL I could watch standard definition Netflix movies on my Roku without any buffering or other problems.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 PM

9,148 posts, read 3,849,898 times
Quote:
I had no problem watching Netflix with Charter Spectrum, though my speed was slightly faster than yours. You should maybe contact Spectrum and see if you can get your speed improved. You should be at least 60 Mbps.

Slightly off topic, my problem was not with the connection, but rather with Netflix and their lousy selection of movies. Absolutely every single movie that I searched for, told me I would have to "upgrade" to their DVD by Mail service to get that movie. DVD by Mail, are they serious? This is not the 1990s. But DVD by Mail, did give me a good idea. I cancelled Netflix, and found that for the same money, I can buy about two DVDs new or used on eBay every month, and I don't have to worry about returning them, and they are movies that I actually want to watch. Not what Netflix wants me to watch.

I really don't know what people see in Netflix. It's a good idea, but they seem to want to be more of a TV channel then an on demand movie streaming service.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:36 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,334,897 times
I cancelled Netflix too. I didn't use it that much. If you have a thrift store handy sometimes you can find good movies there for cheap.

If you guys can get streaming movies online with that slow of an internet there shouldn't be much problem watching youtube, or listening to streaming music, hopefully. Well I just got the bright idea to look at an internet provider in the mountains of NC called Sky Runner. I remembered they had the speeds listed, and what they were good for. Hope they show up below. I would go for the $50 Enhanced package.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM

7,145 posts, read 4,719,734 times
To get back to the libary thing, it's weird. In Eastern Oregon there's a lot of support for the libraries. People banded together to save libraries in tiny communities like Fossil or Vale. http://librariesofeasternoregon.org/wp-site/

Speaking anecdotally from Central Oregon, I'm going to say it's a culture thing. Prineville and La Pine both voted Trump by 60-70% like they do in Douglas county, but Prineville loves their library. When I go there I see people actually reading. They've got this pretty building that was built around 10 years go & is well supported; they've got an appropriate number of full time staff employed by Crook County that are.... well, not paid well, but well enough to survive in Prineville.

La Pine doesn't. All I ever see people doing there is messing around on the internet. It's got a branch of the Deschutes library, but it wasn't part of Deschutes County I have no doubt there would not be a library there.

Last edited by redguard57; 11-19-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 21,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
To get back to the libary thing, it's weird. In Eastern Oregon there's a lot of support for the libraries. People banded together to save libraries in tiny communities like Fossil or Vale. http://librariesofeasternoregon.org/wp-site/

Speaking anecdotally from Central Oregon, I'm going to say it's a culture thing. Prineville and La Pine both voted Trump by 60-70% like they do in Douglas county, but Prineville loves their library. When I go there I see people actually reading. They've got this pretty building that was built around 10 years go & is well supported; they've got an appropriate number of full time staff employed by Crook County that are.... well, not paid well, but well enough to survive in Prineville.

La Pine doesn't. All I ever see people doing there is messing around on the internet. It's got a branch of the Deschutes library, but it wasn't part of Deschutes County I have no doubt there would not be a library there.
Yes, I would agree it's a culture thing. Southern Oregon has distinct cultural differences when compared to Central and Eastern Oregon, even though all the of the regions are quite conservative. A lot of it has to do with being west of the Cascades, and how ingrained timber is in Southern Oregon's economy.

Property taxes in Southern Oregon counties have historically been extremely low. There was once a time in Douglas County when they were getting so much timber revenue from the feds that the county literally did not assess property taxes. The people there have been conditioned to very low property taxes, and this has been a huge selling point for older people who move to the area for retirement.

The combination of low property taxes + ruby-red conservatism has created an environment where any kind of new tax is met with extreme outrage, even if it's for normal government services. Josephine County for example has had major problems with funding its police and jails. The funding got so low at one point that Josephine County made national headlines years ago when a woman called 911 and the dispatcher flat out told her they couldn't send police to help her from getting raped by her boyfriend. The voters kept voting down the bonds again and again until they finally relented on a recent one.

That's basically what happened with the libraries, as I mentioned in one of my previous. The libraries in Douglas County kept facing relentless cuts year after year until it got to the point where they simply could not stay open. That lead to a property tax measure going on the ballot last year. Not surprisingly, it failed. I've talked to a bunch of people who voted against the measure and their reasons were a combination of, "I don't use the libraries", "I live on a fixed income and I can't take a tax hike", "The county is corrupt and I refuse to give it more money", and "Libraries are just magnets for the homeless."

Douglas County has aged drastically in the last 10-15 years due to a combination of retirees and brain drain causing young individuals to leave. And the older demographic has a lot of sway in the politics down there. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 Census has the median age at over 50.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:58 PM

16,216 posts, read 19,221,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thank you Hawk J, I appreciate your info. Is 100 Mbps fast enough for streaming music, and Youtube? I always have music going when on the puter. That is as far as my multi tasking goes . I'm sure I would lose my mind if I had to listen to the music on just the radio, lol.

https://frontier.com/

We have what they call Frontier high-speed internet & landline phone service.

We can usually stream You Tube music videos, movies, fishing videos, etc etc. Once in a while it slows down.

The internet goes out a few times a year, sometimes. It usually comes back on by itself within 24 hours or less.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,334,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
https://frontier.com/

We have what they call Frontier high-speed internet & landline phone service.

We can usually stream You Tube music videos, movies, fishing videos, etc etc. Once in a while it slows down.

The internet goes out a few times a year, sometimes. It usually comes back on by itself within 24 hours or less.
Thanks for the link Hawk J . I'll check it out. It sounds like pretty normal behavior for internet connections. They up, and die, and no matter what you do they start again when they are darn good, and ready, lol.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks Larry. Does the drop in speed have any noticeable impact on what you do online? What if there is a third party online?
I just assume the connection will suck and live that way. When Mickeysoft decides to update W10 it sucks all my bandwidth and I am essentially without an internet for 24 hours or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon