U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:33 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,706,525 times

Advertisements

I really don't care that much about the presidential election. My wife and I are in the "I've got mine" class. When Ryan pushes through "fixing" Medicare by switching to a voucher system, I figure premiums won't be more than another $400/month. We can handle the extra $5000/year. With Medicare premiums and supplemental insurance, that's about what we pay right now, so costs would only double.

I live in a rural county that went 69% for Trump. <shrug> It is what it is. The thing that distresses me most is that they defeated the library levy by 54%-44%. The Douglas County Library will close. My home is easily in the top third of real estate in the county, and the library was going to cost me a whopping $44 a year.

It's hard for me to come to terms with the fact that a majority of voters in my county were not willing to pay $40 a year to have a library. That's a level of cultural collapse that goes far beyond national elections. That's a group of people who don't want access to a library, and don't want their children to have access to a library either. That's a casual commitment to ignorance that I don't think we will ever recover from. The next generation will get their "facts" off the internet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:53 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,197,812 times
Well, Larry, I feel your pain. Now, as a disclaimer, let me say that I am a HUGE supporter of libraries.

I was born, grew up, and lived a lot of my adult life in rural Oregon (Cottage Grove, Pendleton, The Dalles, Hood River, Newport, Klamath Falls) and they have pretty much always been counties under stress. But the last 20 years have been especially hard. They have lost support/representation in both the federal arena and now the state arena. They are "controlled" by Potland liberals now and if they wither and die, Salem could care less. It's simply a fact of life for the areas of Oregon I know and love.

So people see a library measure but they also see other levies. They see taxes going up for PERS and gross misspending by state government and with stagnant wages and rising costs of goods and services, people have just had enough. And this is how Trump was elected- the common people of this country have just had enough and this is how they voiced it.

I hope leaders from both parties take note of this and remember the true backbone of this state and country.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:55 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,461,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
........... The thing that distresses me most is that they defeated the library levy by 54%-44%. The Douglas County Library will close. My home is easily in the top third of real estate in the county, and the library was going to cost me a whopping $44 a year.

It's hard for me to come to terms with the fact that a majority of voters in my county were not willing to pay $40 a year to have a library. …....
I haven't spent much time in rural Southern Oregon so I don't have personal experience, but reading newspapers, here on City-Data and elsewhere, it seems as though different mentality prevails there compared to rural Eastern Oregon.

Like most rural areas everywhere both areas are predominately Republican, but here in Baker City the library levy is always overwhelmingly approved – it's never even close – the last time (earlier this year) for 5 years.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:55 PM

48 posts, read 44,934 times
Quote:
I really don't care that much about the presidential election. My wife and I are in the "I've got mine" class. When Ryan pushes through "fixing" Medicare by switching to a voucher system, I figure premiums won't be more than another $400/month. We can handle the extra $5000/year. With Medicare premiums and supplemental insurance, that's about what we pay right now, so costs would only double.

I live in a rural county that went 69% for Trump. <shrug> It is what it is. The thing that distresses me most is that they defeated the library levy by 54%-44%. The Douglas County Library will close. My home is easily in the top third of real estate in the county, and the library was going to cost me a whopping $44 a year.

It's hard for me to come to terms with the fact that a majority of voters in my county were not willing to pay $40 a year to have a library. That's a level of cultural collapse that goes far beyond national elections. That's a group of people who don't want access to a library, and don't want their children to have access to a library either. That's a casual commitment to ignorance that I don't think we will ever recover from. The next generation will get their "facts" off the internet.

Democrats in the senate blocked a couple hundred obamacare repeal attempts and probably will do the same with a medicare "voucher" system. Hope so, at least.

That's too bad about about the libraries, there is a lot of local information in particular that is still not available on the internet.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,842,291 times
Quote:

I'm not in your voting district but this is how I now view the changing Library System. I already pay a big chunk of my property tax towards libraries when, in my thinking, our schools already have fine libraries for our students to use. By the way, I play a big chunk to our School System too but I am good with that one. I find our local libraries have become movie rental centers and free internet nooks....aka warming centers. I now re-think libraries. JMO.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:31 PM

26,146 posts, read 34,638,046 times
I don't know why your county turned down a library bond, but it is not necessary to have government supply a library.

I'm in Yachats and we have a truly lovely little library that is run entirely on a volunteer basis. Funded by donations and book sales of donated books. So, if it is important to you to have a library, get busy and organize the volunteer force and get it done.

Aren't you in a low income county? $44 a month might not mean much to you, but that might be 25% of a family's food budget. If the choice is to eat or check out a novel, most people would rather eat. It's elitist to insist that what you can easily afford must be important to everyone else who doesn't have your level of income.

Retirees living on SS, some of them, are paying 50-60% of their income for rent. They must choose between heating and eating. Just because they didn't pass a library bond does not mean that they are toothless ignorant rednecks who never learned how to read (which I realize is simply progressive speak for anyone who doesn't toe their progressive party line)

Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know why your county turned down a library bond, but it is not necessary to have government supply a library.

I'm in Yachats and we have a truly lovely little library that is run entirely on a volunteer basis. Funded by donations and book sales of donated books. So, if it is important to you to have a library, get busy and organize the volunteer force and get it done.

Aren't you in a low income county? $44 a month might not mean much to you, but that might be 25% of a family's food budget. If the choice is to eat or check out a novel, most people would rather eat. It's elitist to insist that what you can easily afford must be important to everyone else who doesn't have your level of income.

Retirees living on SS, some of them, are paying 50-60% of their income for rent. They must choose between heating and eating. Just because they didn't pass a library bond does not mean that they are toothless ignorant rednecks who never learned how to read (which I realize is simply progressive speak for anyone who doesn't toe their progressive party line)
That wasn't $44 a month, it was $44 A YEAR!

Old 11-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I'm not in your voting district but this is how I now view the changing Library System. I already pay a big chunk of my property tax towards libraries when, in my thinking, our schools already have fine libraries for our students to use. By the way, I play a big chunk to our School System too but I am good with that one. I find our local libraries have become movie rental centers and free internet nooks....aka warming centers. I now re-think libraries. JMO.
School facilities are not open to the general public. School libraries are heavily bowdlerized and censored by parents.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, Larry, I feel your pain. Now, as a disclaimer, let me say that I am a HUGE supporter of libraries.

I was born, grew up, and lived a lot of my adult life in rural Oregon (Cottage Grove, Pendleton, The Dalles, Hood River, Newport, Klamath Falls) and they have pretty much always been counties under stress. But the last 20 years have been especially hard. They have lost support/representation in both the federal arena and now the state arena. They are "controlled" by Potland liberals now and if they wither and die, Salem could care less. It's simply a fact of life for the areas of Oregon I know and love.

So people see a library measure but they also see other levies. They see taxes going up for PERS and gross misspending by state government and with stagnant wages and rising costs of goods and services, people have just had enough. And this is how Trump was elected- the common people of this country have just had enough and this is how they voiced it.

I hope leaders from both parties take note of this and remember the true backbone of this state and country.
What taxes have gone up for PERS? My taxes have not gone up, other than the statutory 3% a year for property taxes. Meanwhile, leaving a county without library services helps push an entire generation into ignorance.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM

14,700 posts, read 35,576,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
School libraries are very small compared to the volumes at a regular library. They are also censored. I am sure your local library has story times for little kids. I found those invaluable as a parent for teaching my kids to sit in a group and listen before they got to school. They have Pajama story times at pm where kids come in and listen to stories before going home to bed. There were rainy days where we just went to the library and read books in the kids area together. Salem is big enough to have a teen library area and they have stuff going on there all the time.

Most libraries often book clubs too which can be great for adults moving to an area needing to find a peer group. Not everyone can buy books. I can't imagine an area not having a library for its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon