Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM

51 posts, read 49,043 times

Advertisements

Part of my trip to the Medford area in April will include visiting with local realtors, and while I'm not in the market to buy immediately (unless that DREAM property pops up), I would like to find one or two who are the most experienced and knowledgeable with properties available from Cave Junction to just west of Ashland and up towards Grants Pass. Any recommendations are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 04:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
If you are buying, you don't have to stick with one realtor. Try several.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Well I figured I'd talk to 2 or 3 this trip out, but realizing there are dozens to choose from, any referrals would help narrow the field. I won't have time to visit with more than a few which is why I'm asking if anyone knows someone they could recommend.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
First, it is not OK to have a real estate agent take you around to show you property when you are not yet ready to buy.

If all you want to do is to interview an agent and to get onto their mailing list, I suggest that you study the multiple listing for the area and pick a a few agents with a lot of listings, or agents that seems to specialize in the type of house that you want, or agents that lists houses in the price range that you want.

Then go and interview a few of them and have all of them put you on their email list.

The top agents do not have time to hold your hand or answer endless email questions from people who are not in the market.

The agent I use (not in Medford, so I can't recommend him for you) is one of the best in my area but you get his answering machine when you call him. He answers calls at the end of the day. What he emails me are not new listings, but financial information about what the housing market is doing.

If you want to be emailed new listings, be sure to discuss that when you are doing the interviews, to make sure the agent provides that service.

Hand holding does not necessarily mean that the agent is a competent agent. But if you want a lot of hand holding, then select for that and hope that the good bedside manner extends to deep knowledge of real estate contracts and market conditions.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
First, it is not OK to have a real estate agent take you around to show you property when you are not yet ready to buy.

If all you want to do is to interview an agent and to get onto their mailing list, I suggest that you study the multiple listing for the area and pick a a few agents with a lot of listings, or agents that seems to specialize in the type of house that you want, or agents that lists houses in the price range that you want.

Then go and interview a few of them and have all of them put you on their email list.

The top agents do not have time to hold your hand or answer endless email questions from people who are not in the market.

The agent I use (not in Medford, so I can't recommend him for you) is one of the best in my area but you get his answering machine when you call him. He answers calls at the end of the day. What he emails me are not new listings, but financial information about what the housing market is doing.

If you want to be emailed new listings, be sure to discuss that when you are doing the interviews, to make sure the agent provides that service.

Hand holding does not necessarily mean that the agent is a competent agent. But if you want a lot of hand holding, then select for that and hope that the good bedside manner extends to deep knowledge of real estate contracts and market conditions.
Well I think you're reading more into what I wrote than I intended, I fully understand the business and have dealt with realtors on both sides of the transaction (I used to flip houses). I have no intention of wasting anyone's time nor do I need any hand holding. What I want is a referral to a good, reputable and knowledgeable agent who's been working in the area and is familiar with the market as well as any issues potential buyers need to be aware of.

I intend to meet with a few to find out whether or not they are someone I want to work with as well as whether they are willing to deal with me and my specific niche demands. As things stand, and from what I've been learning about the economy, cost of living, etc, I may well decide that my first purchase will be a fixer-upper that I could buy, remodel and flip while I search for that special property that will meet my requirements.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,873 times
Why not you are searching on google?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlanger24 View Post
Why not you are searching on google?
Are you serious??? YES, I've already done a bunch of searching, but what does that get you??? The are LOTS of realtors who are well rated, but that doesn't necessarily tell me anything special. Call me cynical, but I don't know any of those doing the recommending, and besides I would rather have a discussion with a PERSON, as in someone on this forum, who can give me their two-cents, that IS after all why forums even exist. Why doesn't everyone just search Google for ALL THE QUESTIONS BEING ASKED ON THESE FORUMS???? You know I'm getting just a little tired of unhelpful, critical advice/comments. If you don't have anything constructive or helpful, just don't bother, okay?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 PM

197 posts, read 459,280 times
Try Crystol Delany at JC Jones in Grants Pass

Old 12-13-2016, 12:57 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
????

Do you think realtors expect 100% success just because they talk to someone?
Lordy- it's a sales job. Sometimes it takes years to "make the sale"

I would never in am million years feel I was taking advantage of someone because I used their expertise at a moment in time.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Sorry, been busy, seems life keeps getting in the way of my planning, lol. Thanks for the recommendation Rtg143, I'll put her on my list, and Ccja, I agree completely. Imo, as far as the average realtor is concerned, while every potential lead doesn't result in a sale, if they're worth their salt, (and have the right attitude I'm looking for) then they ought to be willing to at least meet and talk to someone even if they're just "window shopping" (unless they're busier than a one-legged man in a square-dancing contest ;?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon