Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 AM

5,033 posts, read 6,308,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't think academic archaeology is going to help an 11th grader. I went to Oregon State too - Class of the Century, 1969. I doubt very much that my college experience is in any way relevant to a current student.
I actually did say "I have been back numerous times" in my post. I grew up in Corvallis and still have family in the area. I was not basing it entirely on my undergraduate experience-which in point of fact, was somewhat more recent than yours, probably recent enough to have some minor relevance. Since the OP did not specify "recent graduates" only, I contributed.

If he doesn't want it or you don't like it, feel free to filter me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,519,060 times
Oregon parent here. Son graduated UO; great experience and education. Found relevant employment in PDX immediately.

We investigated private and state schools throughout the west. As Oregon residents, we found Oregon state schools to be the best choice for our son. Why?

1. We could afford them without financial aid.

2. ALL financial aid offers from private schools included large loans.

3. With the exception of large schools like Stanford and USC, the private schools had limited
selection of majors, tending toward liberal arts only.

4. We had attended state schools ourselves so were familiar with the outstanding educational
and social opportunities they offer.

I suggest that you first investigate what the out of state tuition fees are since you are not yet
Oregon residents.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:46 AM

32,487 posts, read 47,436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
....... We currently live on the east coast and both of my sons want to attend school on the west coast. ..........
Out of state tuition in Oregon is enormous. I suggest that you price out of state tuition before you decide on a college. If a student enrolls from out of state, he will pay out of state tuition for his entire education at the college. Out of state students do not switch to resident tuition after their first year.

It's not uncommon for students to move to Oregon and to get a job for the first year that they are here. Once they have been here for a year and established residency, at that point, they sign up for the college of their choice.

University of Oregon in Eugene is very progressive politically. It is a crunchy granola town and a crunchy granola college. Fine if that is what you like. Mostly liberal arts.

Oregon State University in Corvallis has the agricultural classes, the veterinary school, and more science majors. Corvallis is a much smaller town, much easier to get around.

I'm in Bend and we get a lot of out of state students at the local junior college, COCC (Central Oregon Community College). I don't know if they are saving money by taking 2 years of classes at a community college or if they just come here to ski while their parents are supporting them. This is a recreational area and everything is outdoor oriented.

At one point, we had an Olympic grade track coach and track and field students would come here just to work under that coach. A lot of Olympic athletes train here. I don't know if that coach is still here. Most, if not all, of the teachers at COCC have PhD's. It is an excellent school. But again, out of state tuition is not cheap.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM

793 posts, read 1,324,582 times
Thank-you everyone for your posts.

This is all so overwhelming. I researched some more after reading the comments about private schools and scholarships, and community college transfers. It seems like core courses at CCs usually do transfer. The big question is whether OOS CC courses will transfer. I'm going to look into this. If son #1 attended CC here (in Maine) and we all came out at the same time, it certainly would be easier, though he could use a good dose of "being on his own reality" asap, but I digress.

About the private schools...Anyone have info. and/or experience with Lewis and Clark or Pacific University?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Out of state tuition in Oregon is enormous. I suggest that you price out of state tuition before you decide on a college. If a student enrolls from out of state, he will pay out of state tuition for his entire education at the college. Out of state students do not switch to resident tuition after their first year.
Are you sure this is true, woodsmoke? I thought that if the student's parents (who are presumably footing the bill) have lived in Oregon for one year, they and their kid are considered residents. I can't remember, but I think I actually contacted OS last year and this is the info. I received. This was before I started keeping notes so my head wouldn't explode.

Wanted to add that my very smart, generous in-laws started funds for our sons years ago. This money will be a huge help, but won't cover everything, especially with tuition going up, up, up every year.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,850,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's not uncommon for students to move to Oregon and to get a job for the first year that they are here. Once they have been here for a year and established residency, at that point, they sign up for the college of their choice.

University of Oregon in Eugene is very progressive politically. It is a crunchy granola town and a crunchy granola college. Fine if that is what you like. Mostly liberal arts.

Oregon State University in Corvallis has the agricultural classes, the veterinary school, and more science majors. Corvallis is a much smaller town, much easier to get around.

I'm in Bend and we get a lot of out of state students at the local junior college, COCC (Central Oregon Community College). I don't know if they are saving money by taking 2 years of classes at a community college or if they just come here to ski while their parents are supporting them. This is a recreational area and everything is outdoor oriented.

At one point, we had an Olympic grade track coach and track and field students would come here just to work under that coach. A lot of Olympic athletes train here. I don't know if that coach is still here. Most, if not all, of the teachers at COCC have PhD's. It is an excellent school. But again, out of state tuition is not cheap.
Good point Oregonwoodsmoke!
(I got to thinking, and ya know what, both my parents spent time at OSU back in the day- my mom did a year, my dad later on (I think for some of graduate school or something like that) but we are talking like 40 years ago..)

Old 12-08-2016, 02:44 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,602,377 times
Here are Oregon State's residency requirements: Residency | Office of Admissions | Oregon State University

Old 12-08-2016, 02:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,567,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Thank-you everyone for your posts.

This is all so overwhelming. I researched some more after reading the comments about private schools and scholarships, and community college transfers. It seems like core courses at CCs usually do transfer. The big question is whether OOS CC courses will transfer. I'm going to look into this. If son #1 attended CC here (in Maine) and we all came out at the same time, it certainly would be easier, though he could use a good dose of "being on his own reality" asap, but I digress.

About the private schools...Anyone have info. and/or experience with Lewis and Clark or Pacific University?

Are you sure this is true, woodsmoke? I thought that if the student's parents (who are presumably footing the bill) have lived in Oregon for one year, they and their kid are considered residents. I can't remember, but I think I actually contacted OS last year and this is the info. I received. This was before I started keeping notes so my head wouldn't explode.

Wanted to add that my very smart, generous in-laws started funds for our sons years ago. This money will be a huge help, but won't cover everything, especially with tuition going up, up, up every year.
Pacific University in Forest Grove has the only Physical Therapy program in Oregon. Lewis and Clark (Portland) and Willamette (Salem) have law schools. Linfield (McMinnville) has an excellent physics department. Reed (Portland) is considered Ivy League, and a degree in engineering or physics there is the same as a degree from MIT. I don't know anything about George Fox (Newberg) other than that it's a Quaker affiliated college.

There are other options for state schools too. Western Oregon U in Monmouth is a smaller school. Historically it was a teacher college, and still has the best School of Education in the state system. Oregon Institute of Technology in Klamath Falls is good for engineering. K. Falls is a small western town on the east side, cold and snowy in the winter, hot and dry in the summer. Eastern Oregon University in LaGrande is another small state school, located in a fabulously beautiful area. If your kids are outdoor sorts they would love it, but it's a small school in a small town with a limited curriculum. Southern Oregon U. in Ashland would be a great place if your kids want to enter show biz. They have a full video production facility, and are right next to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, which has won a Tony and is the only real industry in town.

As others have mentioned, Oregon State is the best for engineering and physics, forestry, and veterinary science. U of O has a law school and a good pre-med program.

If your kids move to Oregon, do a couple years at an Oregon CC, and their parents have an Oregon address they should have no trouble qualifying for in-state tuition.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 PM

5,396 posts, read 8,078,725 times
Oregon State is much more amenable to free speech on campus.

The organization that fights for campus free speech, FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education), gives OSU their highest (Green) rating. One of only 19 schools in the US: https://www.thefire.org/schools/oreg...te-university/

UofO gets their lowest (Red) rating: https://www.thefire.org/schools/university-of-oregon/

Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM

jj...Yes, after posting, I found that link. It does look like my sons will be considered residents after one year if we (his parents) move to Oregon also. I even found the form that students would fill out to prove this. I certainly understand that people are going to try to bend the rules to pay less tuition, but we're not trying to get with anything.

On another note, I called OSU and they gave me the link to view the OOS CC core classes that are transferable. This might be a great option for my son, after all...definitely worth consideration. Mr. Flyer went this route in CA. He attended a community college and then went to a CSU.

While I'm here, I'll also add that it's frustrating that colleges use the umbrella term "aid" for both scholarships/grants and loans. They are two very different things. We'd like to keep the student loans as low as possible.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks Larry and Karlsh. I got interrupted as I was posting.

Son #1 showed a bit of interest in perhaps becoming a teacher. I'll look into Western Oregon University. I already looked at the Reed site and it scared me. Frankly, my sons aren't of that caliber.

I really appreciate all this info. I've got a folder full of printed out material, but there's nothing like first hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon