Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM

135 posts, read 134,757 times

Advertisements

I'm just shocked. 8.3", and no one is saying anything lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I guess Medford doesn't have the crybabies we have up here in Portland.

8.3 inches of snow would totally shut down Portland for weeks.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

If we had PDX-style traffic we'd be shut down here, too.

The snowfall total was over 24 hours - lots of closed roads, downed trees, downed power lines. Our power was off for about 12 hours. We have partial backup power and an alternate source of heat, so it wasn't a big deal for us.

Schools have been closed for 2 days - there was a bunch of whining about closing schools for so little snow on the first day, but the forecast said a lot more was on the way and school officials didn't want to get caught with students stuck at school. Likely be closed tomorrow too, as the driving conditions will be worse than today, at least in the morning.

If the city and county have plows (and they must, because I read about them being used) we don't have very many because I have never actually seen one and the roads today (Main St on the hill, Hwy 99, Riverside, Barnett, Stewart) weren't plowed at all. ODOT definitely has plows and I5 was plowed and sanded.

It's sunny and relative warm today, meaning the snow is melting fast. Tonight will be clear and below freezing, so it'll all be ice tomorrow and much worse than today when it was just slushy snow.

Over in the Dec driving thread, Larry mentioned that the Siskiyou passed was closed at Ashland yesterday and today until about 10 am (South bound only) and I expect the same will be true tonight, so don't plan on heading south until at least Friday or Saturday.

ODOT tends to favor allowing cars with traction devices to use the roads, CALTrans favors shutting the pass entirely when traction devices would be required.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's Oregon. It snows here. I suggest swinging over to the Bend forum and checking out the picture thread that is at the top of the forum. Go to the end to see some really lovely snow photos.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Medford hasn't seen this much snow in 24 hours since 1919 (the record then is 24"), so it is a lot more than we are used to.

The problem is that people see snow and think that it is dangerous to drive around in - which it can be, but not usually if you can a) actually get out of your driveway/small street and b) take your time and drive very cautiously - the problem will be tomorrow when it is icy.

Closing the city down for a day or two is fine, but once it gets up to 3 days, everyone will go back to being in a hurry and trying to get stuff done. For an area of this population we have almost no public transportation (plus what we do have has already been shut down at 4pm today and won't be running at all tomorrow), so if you want to go anywhere, it is either live within walking distance or get in the car and brave the roads.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:39 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Five inches of snow here on the coast. This is the first time I have ever seen any snow here. I looked out the door at 5AM to see what the temperature on the thermometer was. It was 37 degrees. Then I noticed the white stuff on the walkway. My first thought, is it snow or is it ice? I answered my own question, when I looked up and saw the big fluffy snowflakes falling out of the sky. Heavy snow continued until at least 9AM. I have to admit that I'm a little baffled by how five inches of snow can fall in 37 degree temperatures. Most places I have lived, it becomes a rain, snow, sleet mix, when the temperature gets over 32 degrees. But this was pure powder, and it stayed on the ground. It will probably stay for the next few days, since the next few nights are supposed to be hard freezes. Oregon weather is kind of weird.

I haven't even seen a snowplow or a sand truck in my neighborhood. Traffic is very light, but moving fine. Everything is closed down, schools businesses, everything. Not much in the way of shoveling snow off the sidewalks either. But my neighbor did take a broom and sweep off the walkway in front of our building. I guess he was probably concerned about some of the old people who live here. The management is sure not doing anything about it though.

I am kind of curious, how often a storm like this happens on the coast. Best as I can tell the last time it snowed like this was in 2012.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Medford needs to get with the program, and pollute the entire town with road salt to get rid of the stuff. And if that doesn't work, then they need to look into a system of Japanese style heated roads. You can't have any snow or ice on the roads. People won't be able to get to work and school, and everybody will get fired from their jobs, and the kids will all become illiterate.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I measured the snow here at the house, SW Medford, 11 inches and the grand kids had a field day in the snow. I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for 8 years, so driving in this is not a problem with the exception of watching out for others.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy dayz View Post
hey medford needs to get with the program, and pollute the entire town with road salt to get rid of the stuff. And if that doesn't work, then they need to look into a system of japanese style heated roads. You can't have any snow or ice on the roads. People won't be able to get to work and school, and everybody will get fired from their jobs, and the kids will all become illiterate.

???????????????????????????????????????????? W T F ?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
???????????????????????????????????????????? W T F ?
I guess you haven't read the thread on the Portland forum, Oregon’s "Stupid" No Salt Policy. All of that has been brought up in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon