Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,516,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It was 83 here in Tucson, which is hotter than I want. Headed home tomorrow. Love the saguaro desert, but I miss the green of home.
I have a friend who lives outside of Tucson, south.

One of my beloved daughters & family lives in Peoria. They hug the A/C all summer...'''Another relative lives in Surprise.

When i was in my 20's the heat didn't bother me. I don't care for it anymore, at my more adult age....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,517,712 times
Rogue Valley Hospital isn't as great as they pretend to be. I worked there for 5 years and they were frequently short staffed. And yes, the Redneck element is annoying.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 PM

15,190 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
If you decide to do Southern Oregon, Jacksonville and Grants Pass was our favorite there.. But the topography is different once you go further south from Cottage Grove.. The trees seemed less impressive.. Not the magnificent tall ones you see further North..
I'm curious why you say the trees south specifically of Cottage Grove seem less impressive? Maybe I'm missing something, but I drive between Drain and Eugene, about once a month, and I would have to say the trees north of Cottage Grove are not particularly remarkable. North of Cottage Grove is mostly in the valley and is mostly wide open fields. Lucky if the trees are 10 feet tall in that area. South of Cottage Grove has 100 foot tall Fir trees on both sides of the road, except for clear cut areas.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:49 AM

329 posts, read 464,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm curious why you say the trees south specifically of Cottage Grove seem less impressive? Maybe I'm missing something, but I drive between Drain and Eugene, about once a month, and I would have to say the trees north of Cottage Grove are not particularly remarkable. North of Cottage Grove is mostly in the valley and is mostly wide open fields. Lucky if the trees are 10 feet tall in that area. South of Cottage Grove has 100 foot tall Fir trees on both sides of the road, except for clear cut areas.
I am just referring to the area near the I5 driving North and South and our impression.
Your probably right.. There are a lot of farms and valleys too in the Willamette Valley..
Our impression was that the closer south we went on the I5, coming to Grants Pass, the trees in the distance on the mountains seems more sparse and reminded us more of California mountains..( near Medford)
My son used to live in Medford.. He felt the same way..
But the drive near Canyonville took my breath away..and we LOVED Drain area too..
Jacksonville and Rouge Valley in were our favorite areas in Southern OR since it felt more nestled in the trees..

The reason we are moving it to be surrounded by trees and forest.. I just felt less of that in Southern OR

Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 PM

15,493 posts, read 40,186,319 times
Quote:
I am just referring to the area near the I5 driving North and South and our impression.
Your probably right.. There are a lot of farms and valleys too in the Willamette Valley..
Our impression was that the closer south we went on the I5, coming to Grants Pass, the trees in the distance on the mountains seems more sparse and reminded us more of California mountains..( near Medford)
But the drive near Canyonville took my breath away..and we LOVED Drain area too..
Jacksonville and Rouge Valley in were our favorite areas in Southern OR since it felt more nestled in the trees..

The reason we are moving it to be surrounded by trees and forest.. I just felt less of that in Southern OR
Southern Oregon has had more forest fires than we have had further north. You might just be seeing some of that growth in process of returning.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:27 PM

26,484 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Quote:

I was born in Oregon, have been all over the state, and have the exact same impression of the areas surrounding the I-5 corridor.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,516,383 times
On I-5 from Sexton Summit to Canyonville you will see forests of beautiful fir trees...

Old 02-11-2017, 01:46 AM

329 posts, read 464,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
On I-5 from Sexton Summit to Canyonville you will see forests of beautiful fir trees...
I was going to say that the area off the I5 near Canyonville took my breath away.. I took SO many photos while my husband was driving .. beautiful area there ♥

Old 02-11-2017, 05:21 AM

15,190 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Yeah, that's my impression too. South of Sexton Mountain the forest starts getting a little patchy. South of Gold Hill the Fir trees pretty much disappear, and the landscape completely changes. But I would say that the area from Cottage Grove to Grants Pass, has pretty nice forests, except for the clear cuts and developed areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtOgyh7kYY

Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,733,030 times
That is because you go from hilly forest to valley floor. Is that really surprising?

The trees are just as large and dense in the Cascades to the east and the hills in the Applegate to the west. The eastern side of the Rogue Valley is dry and rolling, with a lot of oak trees, similar to the Northern California valleys, which gradually climbs into the forested Cascades. The western side is much wetter and is still fairly forested. The difference is yearly rain from west to east is substantial (16" on the east side, closer to 20" on the west side).

It always amazes me that a lot of people only know what they see from the freeway driving through and then decide the entire area is just like the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon